General License Upgrade Class

Rowland - K7RWB <slick56@...>

The following was taken from the Microhams website about their General Class in April.  Rowland and Brian have already registered.  I hope others will to. This is the MicroHams site: http://www.microhams.com/softcontent.aspx?scId=25

MicroHams will be sponsoring a General upgrade course April 11-13, 2008. Classes run 7:00pm-10:00pm Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm Saturday and 9:00am-noon Sunday. The class is available to anyone but we ask you register in advance because we have limited seating and materials. Testing will start at 1:00pm Sunday and is also open to the public by reservation. The class will cover the entire Element 3 (General) question pool. Microsoft allows us to make the class available to the public but asks we preregister non-Microsoft employees and provide them a list of vehicles that will be parking on campus.

What to expect? These classes are concentrated, fast paced sessions with the goal of getting you to pass the test at the end of the course. Once you register, you should obtain the course materials quickly so that you can start reading it well before the class begins. The textbook contains the necessary background material along with the entire question pool used to make up the tests. More information on the textbook options is available here. During our classes, we review the question pool and do our best to explain the reasoning behind the answers and the concepts involved. For adults, we have a very high success rate, but our compressed format may not be suitable for children under the age of 15 or so. Please ask if you have concerns.

The course will run $40 and includes a textbook, handouts and the testing fee. The W5YI General Class book by Gordon West will be provided including a number of other handouts, even discount coupons for new radios. If you already have the book (available locally from Fry's Electronics), the class fee is $20. Testing is also open to anyone for any license class but those not enrolled in the class will need to pay the standard $14 testing fee.

The April class will be held at Microsoft's Redmond Campus in the building 40/41 cafeteria. If you take the 40th Street exit from Hwy 520, head east to 156th. At 156th, turn right (south) and continue to 31st. At 31st, turn right and take the first driveway on the left. You can park in the large garage on the right and the cafeteria is the small building between 40 and 41. Since Microsoft will require vehicle information (year, make, model, color, license #), please send that information to Scott, N7SS at the email address below.

To register, simply email "N7SS at ARRL.net" and state whether you need a book. Including a phone number and how you heard about the class would be helpful. The information below is for the older question pool and new versions will be posted soon.

For more information email N7SS@....