Date   

Cougar Mountain repeater failure exercise

Tom WA7TBP
 

Hello to those of you that participated in the Cougar Repeater failure exercise. I have attached a spread sheet listing those that participated. Did you hear me? Did I hear you on the 441.825 MHz repeater output.

Comments from the participants:
    1. The exercise was worth doing.
    2. Some of you were surprised that you could hear one another on UHF.
    3. Very curious how well VHF will work for the same exercise.
    4. Great to finally figure out what the reverse button was for.
    5. Great to review how to turn off the repeater offset and go to simplex.

I feel we determined that UHF simplex can work, but it will be interesting to see how well VHF may work. I am pleased that all of you took the time to review the operation of you radio. It never hurts to review the controls. Your fearless leader here made a bone head error when programming my rig to do the exercise, and I literally fixed the issue 30 seconds before the exercise. This is why we do drills and exercises.

I would really like all of you to come up with some mini exercises and run them. For the time being, please let me know if you want to run a drill. I will prepare a list for posting. If you have an idea, but are really not wanting to run the drill, contact me and let me know what your idea is, and I will work with you to see if we can do it. Some ideas for upcoming 3rd Thursday drills, 10 meter tune up, 75 meter tune up, maybe simple message traffic. These drills do not need to be complex or take a long time to plan. Remember the KISS principle, (keep it simple stupid).

Thanks again for you time and participation. I enjoyed doing the drill with all of you. Great work by all.

Tom



DMR Handset for sale?

Ken Koch WA7KK
 

Does anyone have a DMR handset that they would like to sell?  I thought I'd try DMR, but I don't want to spend a lot on yet another radio.


Re: Fw: A New Update is Available for the DMR-6X2

Kirt White / K7KDW
 

Nice. Thanks for the heads up Lou.


From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> on behalf of Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io <louis.giliberto@...>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 1:25 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io>
Subject: [SnoVARC] Fw: A New Update is Available for the DMR-6X2
 

Not sure about the anytone, but the btech dmr update just came out and brings aprs with it.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile



-------- Original Message --------
On Jan 17, 2020, 8:58 AM, BTECH DMR Updates < support@...> wrote:

DMR-6X2 Firmware Release
View this email in your browser
btech DMR-6X2  
Firmware 2.01 is available for download
Download Now

V2.0 is Finally Here!

We are excited to release a major firmware release for the DMR-6X2. This update release several new major features that are detailed below.

We encourage firmware feedback. If you find any bugs or have firmware suggestions, please reach out to us. Some new features are already on the roadmap for firmware 2.02.

We also offer a "Bug Bounty" program on the DMR-6X2; we want to squash any issue you may find in future firmware updates. If you have found a bug (or want to learn more about this program) - simply reply to this email. 

Retail News: Because of the major changes and feature additions to the DMR-6X2; the retail pricing has also increased due to contract requirements. LUCKY YOU, you have all of these features without the additional up-front cost 😉 (sometimes it pays to wait)!

BTECH is committed to serving customers and releasing products with a long lifecycle. We strive to provide fewer product releases - while delivering a better initial product that will last more then a year (looking at you
🍎...)

We work through the process from start to finish to deliver our best and we hope our labor of love is reflected in what you have purchased!

New Features:

- Analog APRS
- DMR Roaming
- DMR Talker Alias
- Custom Background Image
- Custom Font Colors
- New Side Key Options
- Other Minor Feature Changes and Navigational Improvements

Bug Fixes:
- Callsign Color Display Issue
- Minor Spelling Typos and Changes
HANDHELD
MOBILE
ACCESSORIES
STORE
SUPPORT
Like us on Facebook
See our YouTube Channel
Our mailing address is:
BTECH
110 S MAIN ST
Arlington, SD 57212-8100

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
update your preferences
unsubscribe from this list


More ACES classes open ----Fw: Kirkland ACES Class February 22-23

Irvina Mizell
 

Quick, sign up for one.  I'll be at the one in Renton on May 2 & 3.

Irvina



From: scott.n7ss@... <scott.n7ss@...>
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2020 12:08 PM
To: irvina.mizell@... <irvina.mizell@...>
Subject: Kirkland ACES Class February 22-23
 

You may have seen the Kirkland class is now WILDLY over-booked.  We have 24 seats available and 42 registered.  There have been a couple drops so it was actually higher.  I have been working on getting additional classes scheduled and now have two more posted at http://www.oregonaces.org/ in Seattle and Renton.  I’m still working on one in Bellingham.

 

I wanted to mention this in the hope that people might be interested in these alternate locations.  You can simply register for one of these alternate sessions at http://www.oregonaces.org/ and let me know, so I can cancel the registration in this class.  I’ll give everyone time to decide what they’d like to do and then let everyone know where they are on the registration list.

 

It's fantastic to see all the interest and we want everyone to have the best experience possible.  Hopefully we can get everyone in the best possible option.

 

Thanks!

 

Scott N7SS


Fw: A New Update is Available for the DMR-6X2

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)
 


Not sure about the anytone, but the btech dmr update just came out and brings aprs with it.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile



-------- Original Message --------
On Jan 17, 2020, 8:58 AM, BTECH DMR Updates < support@...> wrote:

DMR-6X2 Firmware Release
View this email in your browser
btech DMR-6X2  
Firmware 2.01 is available for download
Download Now

V2.0 is Finally Here!

We are excited to release a major firmware release for the DMR-6X2. This update release several new major features that are detailed below.

We encourage firmware feedback. If you find any bugs or have firmware suggestions, please reach out to us. Some new features are already on the roadmap for firmware 2.02.

We also offer a "Bug Bounty" program on the DMR-6X2; we want to squash any issue you may find in future firmware updates. If you have found a bug (or want to learn more about this program) - simply reply to this email. 

Retail News: Because of the major changes and feature additions to the DMR-6X2; the retail pricing has also increased due to contract requirements. LUCKY YOU, you have all of these features without the additional up-front cost 😉 (sometimes it pays to wait)!

BTECH is committed to serving customers and releasing products with a long lifecycle. We strive to provide fewer product releases - while delivering a better initial product that will last more then a year (looking at you
🍎...)

We work through the process from start to finish to deliver our best and we hope our labor of love is reflected in what you have purchased!

New Features:

- Analog APRS
- DMR Roaming
- DMR Talker Alias
- Custom Background Image
- Custom Font Colors
- New Side Key Options
- Other Minor Feature Changes and Navigational Improvements

Bug Fixes:
- Callsign Color Display Issue
- Minor Spelling Typos and Changes
HANDHELD
MOBILE
ACCESSORIES
STORE
SUPPORT
Like us on Facebook
See our YouTube Channel
Our mailing address is:
BTECH
110 S MAIN ST
Arlington, SD 57212-8100

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
update your preferences
unsubscribe from this list


SnoVARC Weekly net report 16 JAN 2020

Ralph Lease
 

KC7QXD Ralph (net control) opened the net at 20:00 hours.

The following hams checked in:

W7ECK Ken in Duvall
W7ABD Jim in Duvall with traffic for the net
WA1HEM Howard in Duvall
KD7HCW Lou East of Duvall
KG7IFA Lindy in Carnation
K7KDW Kirt in Monrow
W7PFB Paul in Carnation
WA7TBP Tom in Carnation with traffic for the net
WA7KK Ken in North Bend
KF7PQL Chuck in Carnation
AA7Z Dick in Lake Marcel
KJ7QWZ Jason in Kingston

Jim reported the following hams checked in via Winlink:

W7PFB via HF and VHF
AA7Z Dick via VHF
W7ABD Jim via telnet

Tom announced there would be a Cougar Mountain Repeater failure exercise at the conclusion of the regular scheduled net.

The net was returned to regular amateur use at 20:14

Thank you to everyone who participated in the net and also the repeater failure exercise that followed.

Ralph Lease
KC7QXD
73 


Re: Tech class rescheduled

Tom WA7TBP
 

Irvina:

I should be able to make it.

Tom

In a message dated 1/16/2020 15:53:11 Pacific Standard Time, irvina.mizell@... writes:

Next Thursday, 1/23/20
Fire Station, Duvall
6:30pm

Thanks.

Irvina
W7IRM


Re: Tech class rescheduled

Rowland
 

I can make it.


Thanks,

Rowland

 From now on please only use the following email for me  rowland.brasch@...


On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 3:53 PM Irvina Mizell <irvina.mizell@...> wrote:
Next Thursday, 1/23/20
Fire Station, Duvall
6:30pm

Thanks.

Irvina
W7IRM


Re: Tech class rescheduled

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

Can’t make it on the 23rd, sorry.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jan 16, 2020, at 3:53 PM, Irvina Mizell <irvina.mizell@...> wrote:

Next Thursday, 1/23/20
Fire Station, Duvall
6:30pm

Thanks.

Irvina
W7IRM


Tech class rescheduled

Irvina Mizell
 

Next Thursday, 1/23/20
Fire Station, Duvall
6:30pm

Thanks.

Irvina
W7IRM


Re: Cancelling Thursday's Tech Class Meeting

Tom WA7TBP
 

Thanks Irvina. I will be on watch for the resked.

Tom

In a message dated 1/15/2020 14:23:24 Pacific Standard Time, irvina.mizell@... writes:

That says it all.

I'll schedule another one after we dig out of this.

Irvina
W7IRM


Re: Cancelling Thursday's Tech Class Meeting

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

That makes sense. Thank you

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************




On Jan 15, 2020, at 2:23 PM, Irvina Mizell <irvina.mizell@...> wrote:

That says it all.

I'll schedule another one after we dig out of this.

Irvina
W7IRM



--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Cancelling Thursday's Tech Class Meeting

Rowland
 




Thanks,

Rowland

 From now on please only use the following email for me  rowland.brasch@...


On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 2:23 PM Irvina Mizell <irvina.mizell@...> wrote:
That says it all.

I'll schedule another one after we dig out of this.

Irvina
W7IRM


Re: Cancelling Thursday's Tech Class Meeting

Robin WA7CPA
 

Ok thanks. I was wondering.

73,
Robin, WA7CPA 


On Jan 15, 2020, at 2:23 PM, Irvina Mizell <irvina.mizell@...> wrote:

That says it all.

I'll schedule another one after we dig out of this.

Irvina
W7IRM


Cancelling Thursday's Tech Class Meeting

Irvina Mizell
 

That says it all.

I'll schedule another one after we dig out of this.

Irvina
W7IRM


The Premiere Issue of On the Air is Now Available!

Rowland
 

Another great reason why you would want to join the ARRL.

Not a member? Join today and get access to the current digital edition now.
 


Thanks,

Rowland
K7RWB
 From now on only use the following email for me  rowland.brasch@...




If you have questions about how to get started in ham radio, On the Air has the answers. 

Digital 1119


On the Air, ARRL’s new bimonthly magazine for beginner and intermediate hams, is here! All ARRL members can access the digital edition through the new ARRL Magazines app (see details below).

In the first issue of On the Air January/February 2020, you'll get:

  • A guide to buying your first handheld radio
  • Step-by-step instructions for building simple antennas for VHF and HF
  • A full-page infographic that explains how the ionosphere makes long-distance radio communication possible
  • An “Up Close” Q & A with Jeremy Hong, KD8TUO, who reveals his favorite resources for new hams.

        …and much more!


Download the NEW ARRL Magazines App!
The perfect companion for members on the go! The new ARRL Magazines app replaces the QST app. Use the app to access current and back issues of On the Air magazine and QST, ARRL’s monthly membership journal. The ARRL Magazines App is available free for download in Apple’s App Store and Google Play, or visit www.arrl.org/ota for more info. If your device is setup to update apps automatically, the ARRL Magazines app will replace the QST app.

Apple Store

Google Play Badge

Amazon Kindle


Comments. Share your feedback about On the Air magazine. Go Now

Forgot password? Go to www.arrl.org/forgot-password to reset your password.

Not a member? Join today and get access to the current digital edition now.

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

YouTube




Re: Looking for Volunteers

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Very interesting! If I volunteer, do I get to be arrested in front of a large crowd? That would be my 15 minutes of fame! Hahaha...

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************




On Jan 14, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

This sounds interesting.....Kathy and I may look into it.


Thanks,

Rowland
 From now on only use the following email for me  rowland.brasch@...


On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Thought you might be interested. Passing this on.
W7 ECK
Ken

Begin forwarded message:

From: Douglas Dickinson <doug.dickinson01@...>
Date: January 12, 2020 at 3:13:07 PM PST
To: Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...>
Subject: Looking for Volunteers

Ken

Knowing of your association with the Amateur Radio community, I wanted to pass this along for distribution as you see fit:

I got connected with TSA at the airport as a volunteer and they are looking for others to help out. I am a training decoy - I will be paired with a trainer and they plant explosive materials on me and use this as training for their dog handler teams to get some practice in. Think of it as a nice indoor walk-about and helping TSA get better at what they do at the same time.

Because they don't want dogs or people getting used to us, this only works every few months so it is an intermittent effort and usually during the week.

If you are interested, send an e-mail to Tammy at the following address:
Tammy.Hobbs@...  
She will fill you in and schedule a convenient time to attend a briefing and do a "tour"

If you know of others that may be interested, please pass this along. 

Doug









--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Looking for Volunteers

Rowland
 

This sounds interesting.....Kathy and I may look into it.


Thanks,

Rowland
 From now on only use the following email for me  rowland.brasch@...


On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:14 PM Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Thought you might be interested. Passing this on.
W7 ECK
Ken

Begin forwarded message:

From: Douglas Dickinson <doug.dickinson01@...>
Date: January 12, 2020 at 3:13:07 PM PST
To: Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...>
Subject: Looking for Volunteers

Ken

Knowing of your association with the Amateur Radio community, I wanted to pass this along for distribution as you see fit:

I got connected with TSA at the airport as a volunteer and they are looking for others to help out. I am a training decoy - I will be paired with a trainer and they plant explosive materials on me and use this as training for their dog handler teams to get some practice in. Think of it as a nice indoor walk-about and helping TSA get better at what they do at the same time.

Because they don't want dogs or people getting used to us, this only works every few months so it is an intermittent effort and usually during the week.

If you are interested, send an e-mail to Tammy at the following address:
Tammy.Hobbs@...  
She will fill you in and schedule a convenient time to attend a briefing and do a "tour"

If you know of others that may be interested, please pass this along. 

Doug






Looking for Volunteers

 

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested. Passing this on.
W7 ECK
Ken

Begin forwarded message:

From: Douglas Dickinson <doug.dickinson01@...>
Date: January 12, 2020 at 3:13:07 PM PST
To: Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...>
Subject: Looking for Volunteers

Ken

Knowing of your association with the Amateur Radio community, I wanted to pass this along for distribution as you see fit:

I got connected with TSA at the airport as a volunteer and they are looking for others to help out. I am a training decoy - I will be paired with a trainer and they plant explosive materials on me and use this as training for their dog handler teams to get some practice in. Think of it as a nice indoor walk-about and helping TSA get better at what they do at the same time.

Because they don't want dogs or people getting used to us, this only works every few months so it is an intermittent effort and usually during the week.

If you are interested, send an e-mail to Tammy at the following address:
Tammy.Hobbs@...  
She will fill you in and schedule a convenient time to attend a briefing and do a "tour"

If you know of others that may be interested, please pass this along. 

Doug






Third Thursday after mini exercise

Tom WA7TBP
 

Hello everyone:

I hope the snow didn't cause you too much trouble. I got about 6" of snow and no power, phone,or internet issues. Hope your luck was the same.

After the regular net concludes this Thursday, (the 16th), I would like to conduct a test. The test will be to simulate a failure of the Cougar repeater. If you have been on the net for awhile, you know we have a protocol to go to the cross band channels. This Thursday, we will not do that. We will use the Cougar repeater output, 441.825 MHz, as a simplex channel. I know that not all of you will be able to hear one another, but that is what this test is all about. Going to the repeater output channel as a simplex channel is what a large percentage of the nets I participate in will do in the event of a repeater failure. If we have time, I may test my communications with you by me reversing the Cougar pair and I will listen on your transmit frequency, 446.825 MHz. I will transmit to you on the Cougar output, 441.825 MHz. I know all of this sounds a little convoluted, but paves the way for a future simplex exercise that Robin suggested, and Paul and Howard are working on. I ask all of you to be patient. I believe we can learn some good things from this test.

When we start the test, I will provide instructions as to what steps you should take. This exercise will be a good chance for you to familiarize yourself with the functions of your radios. Looking forward to hearing you on Thursday.

73,

Tom, WA7TBP

1421 - 1440 of 6651