Date   

Re: Quad band antenna?

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

Ok, now that I’m fired up about 6m I also am looking at antenna options.

I don’t see any quad band solutions.  If you’re excluding beams of various descriptions, the best solution a short search came up with for me was something along the lines of:
Diamond CP610 dual band 10m/6m
Whatever your choice is for dual band 2m/70cm (e.g. Comet GP-1, GP-3, GP-6 and the equivalent Diamond and Hustler entrants)
separate feedlines for the antennas that connect to a diplexer to sort it out into 6m&10m/2m&70cm

But I am pondering some sort of low gain beam, aimed more or less WNW from my place.  Two element Yagi or a Moxon or even a quarter wave vertical with a reflector offset to the side.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 25, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Re: Quad band antenna?

Bob Otis
 

I am new to this, but the MFJ-347 is just the connector into which ham sticks for various wavelengths can be attached.  Looking at Amazon, there are several vendors selling the ham sticks, so you may be able to get a higher quality solution.  Regardless, I will be interested to see what you go with for the 10m.

73, Bob

KI7RMO

 

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:19 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

 

Bob,

The GP-15 is exactly what I was thinking. Wondering, though, if adding 10m in one antenna is worth any compromise. I expect to have great propagation from the QTH. MFJ does not have the best quality reputation so I have sort of ignored considering its antennas.

73,

 

Robin, WA7CPA

 

 

 

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:13 AM Bob Otis <rmot47@...> wrote:

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it. 

73, Bob

 

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:23 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

 

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Re: 6 meter tune up

Robin Amundson
 

I am interested and available in the shack for a few minutes right now.

73,
Robin, WA7CPA

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Thanks Paul (W7PFB) for testing 6M SSB and FM  with me this weekend.

I'm looking for others in various QTH's to continue testing with. Let me know if interested. 

73
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Quad band antenna?

Robin Amundson
 

Bob,
The GP-15 is exactly what I was thinking. Wondering, though, if adding 10m in one antenna is worth any compromise. I expect to have great propagation from the QTH. MFJ does not have the best quality reputation so I have sort of ignored considering its antennas.
73,

Robin, WA7CPA



On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:13 AM Bob Otis <rmot47@...> wrote:

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it. 

73, Bob

 

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:23 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

 

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Re: Quad band antenna?

Robin Amundson
 

Yes Paul my SteppirIR covers 6 and 10m. This new antenna will be at a secondary QTH.


On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Doesn’t your SteppIR cover 10m and 6m?


-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 25, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Re: Quad band antenna?

Bob Otis
 

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it. 

73, Bob

 

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:23 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

 

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Re: 6 meter tune up

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Thanks Paul (W7PFB) for testing 6M SSB and FM  with me this weekend.

I'm looking for others in various QTH's to continue testing with. Let me know if interested. 

73
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Quad band antenna?

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

Doesn’t your SteppIR cover 10m and 6m?


-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 25, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Quad band antenna?

Robin Amundson
 

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin


Re: 6 meter tune up

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Im on the radio note. Pick a time and frequency? Thanks!!

Excuse my typos - sent via my thumbs or by voice from a mobile device

On May 23, 2020, at 4:14 PM, Paul Zoba <pezoba@...> wrote:

Me too.  When and where?


On May 23, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

I would be delighted to try a test qso.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I just got my Hf fired up. Missed the 6m tune up the other night. Is there any one willing to try a test qso with me this weekend?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: 6 meter tune up

Paul Zoba
 

Me too.  When and where?


On May 23, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

I would be delighted to try a test qso.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I just got my Hf fired up. Missed the 6m tune up the other night. Is there any one willing to try a test qso with me this weekend?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: 6 meter tune up

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

I would be delighted to try a test qso.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I just got my Hf fired up. Missed the 6m tune up the other night. Is there any one willing to try a test qso with me this weekend?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: 6 meter tune up

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

I just got my Hf fired up. Missed the 6m tune up the other night. Is there any one willing to try a test qso with me this weekend?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: 6 meter tune up

Paul Zoba
 

Hey, it was new to me too! But then lots of things in this field are new to me... lol.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:27 AM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:
It was my first-ever 6m FM experience and the sound quality was fantastic. I am a new 6m FM enthusiast. 

Robin, WA7CPA

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Thanks, Tom.  I have to say, going into the exercise I figured my antenna, which is horizontally polarized and frankly pretty awful for 6m, would mean that I would have very poor performance on 6m, both SSB and FM.  To my great surprise, I found my station performed surprisingly well.  Good news!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp@...> wrote:

Hello everyone:

I am sorry I haven't got the summary of the 6 meter tune up out yet. I am in my RV until next Wednesday, and I failed to bring my logbook from home. I will get the summary out as soon as I can after we get back.
 
Sorry about that. A thumbnail sketch of the exercise was that most stations were able to hear one another. If I remember right, I was not able to hear 3 stations of all those that checked in. I feel that 6 meters offers SNOVARC some great value for public service, rag chews and EMCOMM. When I was a two way radio tech, I worked in the Snoqualmie Valley. Weyerhauser was our biggest customer. I was amazed at the coverage with the 49 MHz simplex base station they had throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce County. Maybe we should have another 6 meter tune up in the future.
 
Again, sorry I forgot my logbook. I will do my best to get the summary out as soon as I get home. Thanks to all of you that participated in the test.
 
73,
 
Tom, WA7TBP


Re: 6 meter tune up

Robin Amundson
 

It was my first-ever 6m FM experience and the sound quality was fantastic. I am a new 6m FM enthusiast. 

Robin, WA7CPA


On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Thanks, Tom.  I have to say, going into the exercise I figured my antenna, which is horizontally polarized and frankly pretty awful for 6m, would mean that I would have very poor performance on 6m, both SSB and FM.  To my great surprise, I found my station performed surprisingly well.  Good news!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp@...> wrote:

Hello everyone:

I am sorry I haven't got the summary of the 6 meter tune up out yet. I am in my RV until next Wednesday, and I failed to bring my logbook from home. I will get the summary out as soon as I can after we get back.
 
Sorry about that. A thumbnail sketch of the exercise was that most stations were able to hear one another. If I remember right, I was not able to hear 3 stations of all those that checked in. I feel that 6 meters offers SNOVARC some great value for public service, rag chews and EMCOMM. When I was a two way radio tech, I worked in the Snoqualmie Valley. Weyerhauser was our biggest customer. I was amazed at the coverage with the 49 MHz simplex base station they had throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce County. Maybe we should have another 6 meter tune up in the future.
 
Again, sorry I forgot my logbook. I will do my best to get the summary out as soon as I get home. Thanks to all of you that participated in the test.
 
73,
 
Tom, WA7TBP


Re: 6 meter tune up

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

Thanks, Tom.  I have to say, going into the exercise I figured my antenna, which is horizontally polarized and frankly pretty awful for 6m, would mean that I would have very poor performance on 6m, both SSB and FM.  To my great surprise, I found my station performed surprisingly well.  Good news!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp@...> wrote:

Hello everyone:

I am sorry I haven't got the summary of the 6 meter tune up out yet. I am in my RV until next Wednesday, and I failed to bring my logbook from home. I will get the summary out as soon as I can after we get back.
 
Sorry about that. A thumbnail sketch of the exercise was that most stations were able to hear one another. If I remember right, I was not able to hear 3 stations of all those that checked in. I feel that 6 meters offers SNOVARC some great value for public service, rag chews and EMCOMM. When I was a two way radio tech, I worked in the Snoqualmie Valley. Weyerhauser was our biggest customer. I was amazed at the coverage with the 49 MHz simplex base station they had throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce County. Maybe we should have another 6 meter tune up in the future.
 
Again, sorry I forgot my logbook. I will do my best to get the summary out as soon as I get home. Thanks to all of you that participated in the test.
 
73,
 
Tom, WA7TBP


6 meter tune up

Tom WA7TBP
 

Hello everyone:

I am sorry I haven't got the summary of the 6 meter tune up out yet. I am in my RV until next Wednesday, and I failed to bring my logbook from home. I will get the summary out as soon as I can after we get back.
 
Sorry about that. A thumbnail sketch of the exercise was that most stations were able to hear one another. If I remember right, I was not able to hear 3 stations of all those that checked in. I feel that 6 meters offers SNOVARC some great value for public service, rag chews and EMCOMM. When I was a two way radio tech, I worked in the Snoqualmie Valley. Weyerhauser was our biggest customer. I was amazed at the coverage with the 49 MHz simplex base station they had throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce County. Maybe we should have another 6 meter tune up in the future.
 
Again, sorry I forgot my logbook. I will do my best to get the summary out as soon as I get home. Thanks to all of you that participated in the test.
 
73,
 
Tom, WA7TBP


Re: Emergency comms exercise report

Dale Smith
 

That would be very interesting!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

------ Original message------
From: Mike Jacob
Date: Fri, May 22, 2020 1:38 PM
Cc:
Subject:[SnoVARC] Emergency comms exercise report

Not sure if I missed it.
Did we ever get the summary of the exercise and the mapping so we can see how our simplex ranges worked out?

-Mike
W7GR


Re: Emergency comms exercise report

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Not yet. Soon

Excuse my typos - sent via my thumbs or by voice from a mobile device

On May 22, 2020, at 1:41 PM, Mike Jacob <golferguy02@...> wrote:


Not sure if I missed it.
Did we ever get the summary of the exercise and the mapping so we can see how our simplex ranges worked out?

-Mike
W7GR


--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Emergency comms exercise report

Mike Jacob
 

Not sure if I missed it.
Did we ever get the summary of the exercise and the mapping so we can see how our simplex ranges worked out?

-Mike
W7GR