Date   

Re: tarheel setup and call for a Tarheel Antenna play date at the Duvall ballfield

Robin Amundson
 

Paul,
I am not available September 5, but I am available Sunday, September 6, time flexible. I will be a looky-loo because the majority of my equipment is currently staged at my secondary QTH. 

73,
Robin, WA7CPA

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 9:20 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
I got some questions about exactly what whip arrangements I’m using.  I said I’d send out and email with the details.

I’m using a Little Tarheel II:

I have it mounted on a monster magmount:

On top of the tarheel I’ve got a 3/8-24 whip quick disconnect, and I have the matching part of the quick disconnect on the bottom of each whip I use.

I have three different whips that I use.

One is the stock Tarheel whip with a quick disconnect on the bottom.

The second consists of another quick disconnect, two buddipole accessory arms (total length 44”), and a Buddipole long telescoping whip (9 feet 6 inches extended) which makes it a bit over 13 feet long.  This will tune on 17m thru 160m.

And I also have a NVIS antenna setup, which is a quick disconnect with a long length of wire on a wire winder.

Getting it all assembled and on top of my car (which serves as a ground plane) is a bit of a challenge.  I first get the mag mount and tarheel base on top of the car and route all the cables, then I put whichever whip assembly I want on top of that using the quick disconnect.

Anyway it seemed like it would be a good idea of have a get together for everyone interested in things Tarheel, where we can see how each of us works, see what tricks we’ve got to share, etc.  The Duvall Ballfield seems like it would be a good spot, although pretty much any park with easy parking would work fine.

Robin suggested something on a weekend, because it’s already getting dark too early to do it on a weeknight after work.

I propose either Saturday Sept 5 or Sunday Sept 6, lunch time.  What do people think?




-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!


Re: tarheel setup and call for a Tarheel Antenna play date at the Duvall ballfield

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

A weekend socially distanced tarheel Demo by Paul on sept 5 or 6 works for me - I’ll bring my 17’ collapsible to share 




On Aug 27, 2020, at 9:20 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

I got some questions about exactly what whip arrangements I’m using.  I said I’d send out and email with the details.

I’m using a Little Tarheel II:

I have it mounted on a monster magmount:

On top of the tarheel I’ve got a 3/8-24 whip quick disconnect, and I have the matching part of the quick disconnect on the bottom of each whip I use.

I have three different whips that I use.

One is the stock Tarheel whip with a quick disconnect on the bottom.

The second consists of another quick disconnect, two buddipole accessory arms (total length 44”), and a Buddipole long telescoping whip (9 feet 6 inches extended) which makes it a bit over 13 feet long.  This will tune on 17m thru 160m.

And I also have a NVIS antenna setup, which is a quick disconnect with a long length of wire on a wire winder.

Getting it all assembled and on top of my car (which serves as a ground plane) is a bit of a challenge.  I first get the mag mount and tarheel base on top of the car and route all the cables, then I put whichever whip assembly I want on top of that using the quick disconnect.

Anyway it seemed like it would be a good idea of have a get together for everyone interested in things Tarheel, where we can see how each of us works, see what tricks we’ve got to share, etc.  The Duvall Ballfield seems like it would be a good spot, although pretty much any park with easy parking would work fine.

Robin suggested something on a weekend, because it’s already getting dark too early to do it on a weeknight after work.

I propose either Saturday Sept 5 or Sunday Sept 6, lunch time.  What do people think?




-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!


--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


tarheel setup and call for a Tarheel Antenna play date at the Duvall ballfield

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

I got some questions about exactly what whip arrangements I’m using.  I said I’d send out and email with the details.

I’m using a Little Tarheel II:

I have it mounted on a monster magmount:

On top of the tarheel I’ve got a 3/8-24 whip quick disconnect, and I have the matching part of the quick disconnect on the bottom of each whip I use.

I have three different whips that I use.

One is the stock Tarheel whip with a quick disconnect on the bottom.

The second consists of another quick disconnect, two buddipole accessory arms (total length 44”), and a Buddipole long telescoping whip (9 feet 6 inches extended) which makes it a bit over 13 feet long.  This will tune on 17m thru 160m.

And I also have a NVIS antenna setup, which is a quick disconnect with a long length of wire on a wire winder.

Getting it all assembled and on top of my car (which serves as a ground plane) is a bit of a challenge.  I first get the mag mount and tarheel base on top of the car and route all the cables, then I put whichever whip assembly I want on top of that using the quick disconnect.

Anyway it seemed like it would be a good idea of have a get together for everyone interested in things Tarheel, where we can see how each of us works, see what tricks we’ve got to share, etc.  The Duvall Ballfield seems like it would be a good spot, although pretty much any park with easy parking would work fine.

Robin suggested something on a weekend, because it’s already getting dark too early to do it on a weeknight after work.

I propose either Saturday Sept 5 or Sunday Sept 6, lunch time.  What do people think?




-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!


Re: What might this be?

Rowland
 

Have you installed any led lighting? These can cause rf noise.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 3:31 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
The “noise” is across the band, pulsating the noise floor up and down… see the video…. 

P.S. I have toroids on the power line, antenna, etc.. This weekend Im going to shut off all power to the house and see if there is RF coming from somewhere inside…



On Aug 27, 2020, at 3:06 PM, Dale Smith <dale_smith@...> wrote:

Cool! We're the pulse spaced closely?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

------ Original message------
From: Robin Amundson
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2020 10:01 AM
Cc: 
Subject:Re: [SnoVARC] What might this be?

Over-the-horizon radar usually shoots rapidly across the 40m band but maybe? Or RF in the shack needing some torroid windings somewhere??

Robin, WA7CPA 

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 9:57 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
What might this periodic uniform pulsing of noise across the entire 40m band be? I've had noise from a PC and a monitor but those patterns were very different. Any ideas?
-- 
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************






***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************









--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************







--
Thanks,
Rowland


Re: What might this be?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

The “noise” is across the band, pulsating the noise floor up and down… see the video…. 

P.S. I have toroids on the power line, antenna, etc.. This weekend Im going to shut off all power to the house and see if there is RF coming from somewhere inside…



On Aug 27, 2020, at 3:06 PM, Dale Smith <dale_smith@...> wrote:

Cool! We're the pulse spaced closely?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

------ Original message------
From: Robin Amundson
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2020 10:01 AM
Cc: 
Subject:Re: [SnoVARC] What might this be?

Over-the-horizon radar usually shoots rapidly across the 40m band but maybe? Or RF in the shack needing some torroid windings somewhere??

Robin, WA7CPA 

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 9:57 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
What might this periodic uniform pulsing of noise across the entire 40m band be? I've had noise from a PC and a monitor but those patterns were very different. Any ideas?
-- 
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************




***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************





--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: What might this be?

Dale Smith
 

Cool! We're the pulse spaced closely?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

------ Original message------
From: Robin Amundson
Date: Wed, Aug 26, 2020 10:01 AM
Cc:
Subject:Re: [SnoVARC] What might this be?

Over-the-horizon radar usually shoots rapidly across the 40m band but maybe? Or RF in the shack needing some torroid windings somewhere??

Robin, WA7CPA 

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 9:57 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
What might this periodic uniform pulsing of noise across the entire 40m band be? I've had noise from a PC and a monitor but those patterns were very different. Any ideas?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Rookie Round Table - Let's try this

Robin Amundson
 

Awesome Ryan!


On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:22 AM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
Kirt is not available to net control the Rookie Roundtable tonight so...
In support of keeping the Rookie Round Table going, myself (KJ7GIE) and Howard (WA1HEM) will be doing a bit of tag team net control tonight. We'll see how this goes. Please join us .

If you'd like to check-in via Winlink you can send those to me, KJ7GIE, at least 20 minutes before the net starts. Please use the standard check-in format:
Your check-in message should contain:
   Your Name
   Location
   Your Winlink Access Type (Telnet, VHF/UHF, HF)
   Your Power Output

Subject should be: SnoVARC Rookie Roundtable Check-In




Rookie Round Table - Let's try this

Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

Kirt is not available to net control the Rookie Roundtable tonight so...
In support of keeping the Rookie Round Table going, myself (KJ7GIE) and Howard (WA1HEM) will be doing a bit of tag team net control tonight. We'll see how this goes. Please join us .

If you'd like to check-in via Winlink you can send those to me, KJ7GIE, at least 20 minutes before the net starts. Please use the standard check-in format:
Your check-in message should contain:
Your Name
Location
Your Winlink Access Type (Telnet, VHF/UHF, HF)
Your Power Output

Subject should be: SnoVARC Rookie Roundtable Check-In


Did someone say Heliax?

Robin Amundson
 

There's 850 feet available at $7.50 per foot.

73,
Robin, WA7CPA 


Re: What might this be?

Robin Amundson
 

Over-the-horizon radar usually shoots rapidly across the 40m band but maybe? Or RF in the shack needing some torroid windings somewhere??

Robin, WA7CPA 


On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 9:57 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
What might this periodic uniform pulsing of noise across the entire 40m band be? I've had noise from a PC and a monitor but those patterns were very different. Any ideas?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


What might this be?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

What might this periodic uniform pulsing of noise across the entire 40m band be? I've had noise from a PC and a monitor but those patterns were very different. Any ideas?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


What might this be?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

What might this periodic uniform pulsing of noise across the entire 40m band be? I've had noise from a PC and a monitor but those patterns were very different. Any ideas?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Follow up from the 8-20-20 SNOVARC mini exercise

Paul Zoba
 

This doesn’t look bad at all... something else?


On Aug 25, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

So why could I barely hear Tom during our 2m exercise?
<Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.49.51 AM.png>

--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Follow up from the 8-20-20 SNOVARC mini exercise

Mark McClain
 

Howard,

 

How well was Tom hearing you?  Consider the power each of you were running at the time.  Also, do you know how well your antenna is/was performing?  Feedline, SWR, antenna type (assume it was a vertical, with some gain maybe)- these can all affect performance and this type of test is a good one to repeat and sort out potential issues that you might not detect when using repeaters.

 

Mark

 

 

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 9:53 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Follow up from the 8-20-20 SNOVARC mini exercise

 

So why could I barely hear Tom during our 2m exercise?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Follow up from the 8-20-20 SNOVARC mini exercise

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

Line of sight is a little more complicated than just a line between two points

Note that lens shaped ellipse drawn with the ‘line’, hat’s the Fresnel zone.  Basically you’d really like that entire zone to be clear, and more than half of it is occluded in your case.  On top of that the line is drawn assuming antenna height of 12 meters at each end, and that’s probably not right.  Note that the size of the Fresnel zone varies with wavelength.

Beyond that lots of things can affect signals.  Buildings, trees (especially trees with wet foliage), you name it.  

That said I bet if you put your antenna up another 60 feet things would improve.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Aug 25, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

So why could I barely hear Tom during our 2m exercise? <Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 9.49.51 AM.png>
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: Follow up from the 8-20-20 SNOVARC mini exercise

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

So why could I barely hear Tom during our 2m exercise?
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Zoom and Discord

Shawn / K7ATA
 

Zoom has been a wonderful resource for meetings recently, but it has some drawbacks in my eyes (primarily a lack of persistence).

As a secondary method of chatting with club members online (including voice and web conference), I've created a discord chat room. Discord is another free-to-use service that can be accessible via web browser or a dedicated client.

You can learn more about Discord on their website, https://discord.com/


If you already have discord, or just want to jump straight in, you can follow this link: https://discord.gg/7HcuY8w

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA


Re: What's in the way? (a tool to show you)

W7ABD
 

I like Radio Mobile On-Line.
https://www.ve2dbe.com/rmonline_s.asp

You do need to create an account, but it's free to use.

Nice user interface. Real good data specifics and nice graphic output.  You can save your work and can input any frequency.  You do need to Lat and Lon for the sites -  I use goggle for that.

Jim
W7ABD


On 8/24/20 10:34, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
And this helps explain why I dont have good UHF with Paul B even though we are at approximately the same height.... Dirt...
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: What's in the way? (a tool to show you)

Shawn / K7ATA
 

Its ALWAYS dirt. :-)


--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/24/2020 10:34 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
And this helps explain why I dont have good UHF with Paul B even though we are at approximately the same height.... Dirt...
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Re: What's in the way? (a tool to show you)

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

And this helps explain why I dont have good UHF with Paul B even though we are at approximately the same height.... Dirt...
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************