Date   
Re: Plasma TV Interference (ICom 7300)

Shawn / K7ATA
 

Unfortunately, the only solution is wire cutters applied directly to the power cord (unplugged, of course!).

The screen itself is the source of the RF noise that you are dealing with, and there's not a lot that can be done about it, except to replace it with something that doesn't require HV/HF energy to make dots light up.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/6/2018 11:00 PM, Ken@... wrote:
For the last week I've been trying to track down a weird problem with my new Icom 7300.  The display shows (all bands) a to 1 to 2 +- hz pulsing  I noticed that it happened only on certain times of the day.  All peaks in spectrum were showing pules up and down in tandem.  The waterfall was showing what I assume to be data lines in the waterfall would pulse on and off.

I finally narrowed it down to times when my wife was watching our downstairs plasma TV.  Eureka!   Turning the TV on/off I was able to recreate the problem 100%.  OK, so now what do I do about it other than dump the TV.  I tried ferrite beads on the TV AC and Icom power supply feeds, which did nothing, I didn't expect it to but it is nice to search for cheap fixes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I know that not many people have plasma TVs these days, but I really don't want to invest a new TV since the performance is decent.  Although now that I think about it an excuse for a bigger/better/newer TV....

Podcast

Mel - N7GCO - Cheney, WA
 

I very much enjoy listening to amateur radio podcasts while driving. Recently I started listening to “QSO Today”.

https://www.qsotoday.com/

 

Each week the author interviews a leader or significant person in Amateur radio. He has over 200 podcasts already produced. I am trying to listen to them all. I find these interviews fascinating. There are some incredible people in ham radio. 

Plasma TV Interference (ICom 7300)

Ken Koch
 

For the last week I've been trying to track down a weird problem with my new Icom 7300.  The display shows (all bands) a to 1 to 2  +- hz pulsing  I noticed that it happened only on certain times of the day.  All peaks in spectrum were showing pules up and down in tandem.  The waterfall was showing what I assume to be data lines in the waterfall would pulse on and off.

I finally narrowed it down to times when my wife was watching our downstairs plasma TV.  Eureka!   Turning the TV on/off I was able to recreate the problem 100%.  OK, so now what do I do about it other than dump the TV.  I tried ferrite beads on the TV AC and Icom power supply feeds, which did nothing, I didn't expect it to but it is nice to search for cheap fixes.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I know that not many people have plasma TVs these days, but I really don't want to invest a new TV since the performance is decent.  Although now that I think about it an excuse for a bigger/better/newer TV....

Big Rock Ball Fields Radio Play Gathering Tuesday, August 7 6ish p.m.

Robin Amundson
 

There will be no formal net Tuesday due to Dan's antenna being down but I will bring my Buddipole and set it up for 10 meters with the 8900R. This will be a good chance for club members to attempt 10 meter contacts.  Come on out. I will be glad to help anyone needing more practice with field programming a Baoefeng. 

Robin, WA7CPA

Radio Play Gathering at Big Rock Ball Fields Poll #poll

Robin Amundson
 

If the Radio Play Gathering at Big Rock Ball Fields were changed to Thursday evenings would you be more or less likely to attend?

Results

See Who Responded

Re: [KE7GFZ] Cougar Mountain work party

Robin Amundson
 

Shawn, thank you very much for your leadership on this project. You did a lot behind the scenes and were well-prepared today. We enjoyed your tour, too.

Robin, WA7CPA

On Aug 4, 2018, at 4:38 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

It was a great day, and the end result is this...


--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/3/2018 8:59 PM, Tom WA7TBP via Groups.Io wrote:
Shawn:

I did have a reaction to the dye they injected. I was told to take it easy the next day or two. Sorry, I won't be able to help out on Cougar.

Tom

In a message dated 8/3/2018 10:53:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, shawn@... writes:

All,


Plan to meet at the Issaquah transit center at 0830 to
carpool/convoy up
the mountain.

There are two separate security gates that need to be passed in
order to
access the site, be aware.


Anyone arriving late will need to reach out via the repeater and
someone
will come down to the lower gate and get you in.


The transit center is located at:


1464 Newport Way NW, Issaquah, WA 98027


The first security gate is located at:

6300 173rd Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98006


I have the paint, a step ladder (need one more), tools, and a cooler
with water. Rowland is bringing an airless paint sprayer, Ralph is
transporting the rack.

If we've discussed bringing something not listed above, bring it
and a
pair of gloves. :-)


if you have ANY questions, CALL ME on the repeater or at 425-239-7015.



--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 8:09 PM, lindamilth wrote:
> Hi, Shawn!
>
> Milt and I are able to help, but we have no idea where the
repeater is
> located! We've got a decent stepladder, no painting equipment to
> speak of, plenty of cleaning stuff and yard work stuff. We have
only
> medium strong backs! We're not super early risers any more. We'll
> talk more at the meeting tomorrow.
>
> Linda and Milt - KI7NWT & KI7NWS
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Shawn / K7ATA
<shawn@... <mailto:shawn@...>
> <mailto:shawn@... <mailto:shawn@...?>>> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain
> repeater
> site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning,
> remove a
> few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the
> possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to
make the
> location more work friendly.
>
>
> Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack
equipment to
> the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it
> unloaded
> and into the building.
>
>
> Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the
> INSIDE of
> the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop
cloth and
> tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6
> please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and
> dropcloth
> at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in
> removing an
> overhead cable race.
>
>
> I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water
> for
> everyone to drink.
>
>
> There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are
limited.
>
> RSVP ASAP please.
>
>
> Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to
> minimize disruptions.
>
> --
> --Shawn
> --K7ATA
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Milt and Linda Hanson
> Milt's phone: 206-910-7191
> Linda's phone: 206-910-4140
>







<IMG_4324.jpg>

Re: [KE7GFZ] Cougar Mountain work party

Shawn / K7ATA
 

It was a great day, and the end result is this...


--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/3/2018 8:59 PM, Tom WA7TBP via Groups.Io wrote:
Shawn:

I did have a reaction to the dye they injected. I was told to take it easy the next day or two. Sorry, I won't be able to help out on Cougar.

Tom

In a message dated 8/3/2018 10:53:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, shawn@... writes:

All,


Plan to meet at the Issaquah transit center at 0830 to
carpool/convoy up
the mountain.

There are two separate security gates that need to be passed in
order to
access the site, be aware.


Anyone arriving late will need to reach out via the repeater and
someone
will come down to the lower gate and get you in.


The transit center is located at:


1464 Newport Way NW, Issaquah, WA 98027


The first security gate is located at:

6300 173rd Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98006


I have the paint, a step ladder (need one more), tools, and a cooler
with water. Rowland is bringing an airless paint sprayer, Ralph is
transporting the rack.

If we've discussed bringing something not listed above, bring it
and a
pair of gloves. :-)


if you have ANY questions, CALL ME on the repeater or at 425-239-7015.



--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 8:09 PM, lindamilth wrote:
> Hi, Shawn!
>
> Milt and I are able to help, but we have no idea where the
repeater is
> located!  We've got a decent stepladder, no painting equipment to
> speak of, plenty of cleaning stuff and yard work stuff.  We have
only
> medium strong backs!  We're not super early risers any more.  We'll
> talk more at the meeting tomorrow.
>
> Linda and Milt - KI7NWT & KI7NWS
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Shawn / K7ATA
<shawn@... <mailto:shawn@...>
> <mailto:shawn@... <mailto:shawn@...?>>> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain
> repeater
> site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning,
> remove a
> few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the
> possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to
make the
> location more work friendly.
>
>
> Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack
equipment to
> the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it
> unloaded
> and into the building.
>
>
> Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the
> INSIDE of
> the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop
cloth and
> tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6
> please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and
> dropcloth
> at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in
> removing an
> overhead cable race.
>
>
> I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water
> for
> everyone to drink.
>
>
> There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are
limited.
>
> RSVP ASAP please.
>
>
> Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to
> minimize disruptions.
>
> --
> --Shawn
> --K7ATA
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Milt and Linda Hanson
> Milt's phone: 206-910-7191
> Linda's phone: 206-910-4140
>





Re: [KE7GFZ] Cougar Mountain work party

Tom WA7TBP
 

Shawn:

I did have a reaction to the dye they injected. I was told to take it easy the next day or two. Sorry, I won't be able to help out on Cougar.

Tom

In a message dated 8/3/2018 10:53:23 AM Pacific Standard Time, shawn@... writes:

All,


Plan to meet at the Issaquah transit center at 0830 to carpool/convoy up
the mountain.

There are two separate security gates that need to be passed in order to
access the site, be aware.


Anyone arriving late will need to reach out via the repeater and someone
will come down to the lower gate and get you in.


The transit center is located at:


1464 Newport Way NW, Issaquah, WA 98027


The first security gate is located at:

6300 173rd Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98006


I have the paint, a step ladder (need one more), tools, and a cooler
with water. Rowland is bringing an airless paint sprayer, Ralph is
transporting the rack.

If we've discussed bringing something not listed above, bring it and a
pair of gloves. :-)


if you have ANY questions, CALL ME on the repeater or at 425-239-7015.



--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 8:09 PM, lindamilth wrote:
> Hi, Shawn!
>
> Milt and I are able to help, but we have no idea where the repeater is
> located!  We've got a decent stepladder, no painting equipment to
> speak of, plenty of cleaning stuff and yard work stuff.  We have only
> medium strong backs!  We're not super early risers any more.  We'll
> talk more at the meeting tomorrow.
>
> Linda and Milt - KI7NWT & KI7NWS
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...
> <mailto:shawn@...>> wrote:
>
> All,
>
> There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain
> repeater
> site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning,
> remove a
> few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the
> possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the
> location more work friendly.
>
>
> Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to
> the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it
> unloaded
> and into the building.
>
>
> Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the
> INSIDE of
> the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and
> tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6
> please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and
> dropcloth
> at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in
> removing an
> overhead cable race.
>
>
> I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water
> for
> everyone to drink.
>
>
> There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.
>
> RSVP ASAP please.
>
>
> Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to
> minimize disruptions.
>
> --
> --Shawn
> --K7ATA
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Milt and Linda Hanson
> Milt's phone: 206-910-7191
> Linda's phone: 206-910-4140
>





Re: [KE7GFZ] Cougar Mountain work party

Shawn / K7ATA
 

All,


Plan to meet at the Issaquah transit center at 0830 to carpool/convoy up the mountain.

There are two separate security gates that need to be passed in order to access the site, be aware.


Anyone arriving late will need to reach out via the repeater and someone will come down to the lower gate and get you in.


The transit center is located at:


1464 Newport Way NW, Issaquah, WA 98027


The first security gate is located at:

6300 173rd Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98006


I have the paint, a step ladder (need one more), tools, and a cooler with water. Rowland is bringing an airless paint sprayer, Ralph is transporting the rack.

If we've discussed bringing something not listed above, bring it and a pair of gloves. :-)


if you have ANY questions, CALL ME on the repeater or at 425-239-7015.



--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 8:09 PM, lindamilth wrote:
Hi, Shawn!

Milt and I are able to help, but we have no idea where the repeater is located!  We've got a decent stepladder, no painting equipment to speak of, plenty of cleaning stuff and yard work stuff.  We have only medium strong backs!  We're not super early risers any more.  We'll talk more at the meeting tomorrow.

Linda and Milt - KI7NWT & KI7NWS

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@... <mailto:shawn@...>> wrote:

All,

There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain
repeater
site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning,
remove a
few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the
possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the
location more work friendly.


Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to
the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it
unloaded
and into the building.


Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the
INSIDE of
the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and
tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6
please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and
dropcloth
at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in
removing an
overhead cable race.


I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water
for
everyone to drink.


There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.

RSVP ASAP please.


Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to
minimize disruptions.

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA






--
Milt and Linda Hanson
Milt's phone: 206-910-7191
Linda's phone: 206-910-4140

Re: [KE7GFZ] Cougar Mountain work party

lindamilth
 

Hi, Shawn!

Milt and I are able to help, but we have no idea where the repeater is located!  We've got a decent stepladder, no painting equipment to speak of, plenty of cleaning stuff and yard work stuff.  We have only medium strong backs!  We're not super early risers any more.  We'll talk more at the meeting tomorrow.

Linda and Milt - KI7NWT & KI7NWS

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 2:49 PM Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:
All,

There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain repeater
site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning, remove a
few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the
possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the
location more work friendly.


Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to
the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it unloaded
and into the building.


Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the INSIDE of
the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and
tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6
please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and dropcloth
at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in removing an
overhead cable race.


I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water for
everyone to drink.


There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.

RSVP ASAP please.


Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to
minimize disruptions.

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA






--
Milt and Linda Hanson
Milt's phone: 206-910-7191
Linda's phone: 206-910-4140

Re: Cougar Mountain work party

Shawn / K7ATA
 

I'm certainly not opposed to extra hands, but I DO want to keep the total headcount to less than 10.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 5:04 PM, Ken Kosters wrote:
Think that is fantastic idea Robin. I'm tired up this weekend with large event at work otherwise I would be on the hill.

Ken


On Aug 1, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Shawn do you want me to ask some specific RCR members who previously expressed to me willingness to help?

Robin
On Aug 1, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

All,

There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain repeater site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning, remove a few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the location more work friendly.


Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it unloaded and into the building.


Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the INSIDE of the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6 please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and dropcloth at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in removing an overhead cable race.


I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water for everyone to drink.


There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.

RSVP ASAP please.


Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to minimize disruptions.

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA



Re: Cougar Mountain work party

Ken Kosters
 

Think that is fantastic idea Robin. I'm tired up this weekend with large event at work otherwise I would be on the hill.

Ken

On Aug 1, 2018, at 4:02 PM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Shawn do you want me to ask some specific RCR members who previously expressed to me willingness to help?

Robin
On Aug 1, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

All,

There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain repeater site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning, remove a few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the location more work friendly.


Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it unloaded and into the building.


Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the INSIDE of the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6 please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and dropcloth at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in removing an overhead cable race.


I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water for everyone to drink.


There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.

RSVP ASAP please.


Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to minimize disruptions.

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA




Re: Server Rack donation needs to be picked up today or tomorrow--got truck?

Robin Amundson
 

Shawn,
Shall I ask specific RCR members if they are available to help Saturday? A few specifically expressed willingness last spring.

Thank you Ralph for jumping on it!

73,
Robin, WA7CPA

Re: Server Rack donation needs to be picked up today or tomorrow--got truck?

Ralph Lease
 

I have secured the rack. Shawn ,  Jim ,  stop by and take  a  look . 


On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 2:34 PM Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:
Awesome Ralph, thank you.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 1:43 PM, Ralph Lease wrote:
> I can do it.
> Ralph kc7qxd
>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 1:40 PM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...
> <mailto:wa7cpa@...>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>     I just now talked to Herb Holeman, W7ZF. He is donating a server
>     rack to the repeater effort. It is rather large, about 8 feet. He
>     is leaving for the DX convention in Vancouver this weekend. He
>     lives in Bellevue near Overlake HS.  Can someone, please,
>     volunteer to use their own truck to pick up the server and deliver
>     it to Cougar on Saturday? I will give his address and instructions
>     to whoever volunteers.
>
>     Thank you.
>
>     Robin, WA7CPA
>
>





Re: Cougar Mountain work party

Robin Amundson
 

Shawn do you want me to ask some specific RCR members who previously expressed to me willingness to help?

Robin

On Aug 1, 2018, at 2:49 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

All,

There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain repeater site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning, remove a few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the location more work friendly.


Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it unloaded and into the building.


Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the INSIDE of the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6 please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and dropcloth at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in removing an overhead cable race.


I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water for everyone to drink.


There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.

RSVP ASAP please.


Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to minimize disruptions.

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA



Cougar Mountain work party

Shawn / K7ATA
 

All,

There will be a work party On the 4th, at the Cougar Mountain repeater site We'll need to remove some trash, do some general cleaning, remove a few pieces of junk equipment and apply some paint. There is also the possibility that we'll want to remove some exterior weeds to make the location more work friendly.


Ralph has volunteered to deliver the donated server rack equipment to the site, but we're going to need some strong backs to get it unloaded and into the building.


Needed: an airless paint sprayer that can be used to paint the INSIDE of the new building OR some rollers & trays; some plastic drop cloth and tape to cover lights and switches for painting; strong backs (4-6 please) 2 gallons of paint (I'm asking to club to buy this and dropcloth at the business meeting tomorrow) TWO stepladders to aid in removing an overhead cable race.


I will be bringing one of the step ladders and a cooler with water for everyone to drink.


There is a port-a-potty on-site, but otherwise amenities are limited.

RSVP ASAP please.


Lets get this done and have a nice space to move the gear into to minimize disruptions.

--
--Shawn
--K7ATA

Re: Server Rack donation needs to be picked up today or tomorrow--got truck?

Shawn / K7ATA
 

Awesome Ralph, thank you.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/1/2018 1:43 PM, Ralph Lease wrote:
I can do it.
Ralph kc7qxd

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 1:40 PM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@... <mailto:wa7cpa@...>> wrote:

Hi All,
I just now talked to Herb Holeman, W7ZF. He is donating a server
rack to the repeater effort. It is rather large, about 8 feet. He
is leaving for the DX convention in Vancouver this weekend. He
lives in Bellevue near Overlake HS.  Can someone, please,
volunteer to use their own truck to pick up the server and deliver
it to Cougar on Saturday? I will give his address and instructions
to whoever volunteers.

Thank you.

Robin, WA7CPA

Re: Server Rack donation needs to be picked up today or tomorrow--got truck?

Ralph Lease
 

I can do it.
Ralph kc7qxd

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018, 1:40 PM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:
Hi All, 
I just now talked to Herb Holeman, W7ZF. He is donating a server rack to the repeater effort. It is rather large, about 8 feet. He is leaving for the DX convention in Vancouver this weekend. He lives in Bellevue near Overlake HS.  Can someone, please, volunteer to use their own truck to pick up the server and deliver it to Cougar on Saturday? I will give his address and instructions to whoever volunteers.

Thank you.

Robin, WA7CPA

Server Rack donation needs to be picked up today or tomorrow--got truck?

Robin Amundson
 

Hi All, 
I just now talked to Herb Holeman, W7ZF. He is donating a server rack to the repeater effort. It is rather large, about 8 feet. He is leaving for the DX convention in Vancouver this weekend. He lives in Bellevue near Overlake HS.  Can someone, please, volunteer to use their own truck to pick up the server and deliver it to Cougar on Saturday? I will give his address and instructions to whoever volunteers.

Thank you.

Robin, WA7CPA

Antenna Rodeo

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

One of the things that came up at the Tuesday Ballfield gathering last week was the idea of an Antenna Rodeo.

The basic idea: a bunch of band/frequencies are put into a hat - at least one frequency for each band from 80m to 6m. (you’d probably want at least two different frequencies for 80m, 40m, but maybe only one for 6m, etc.)

All those band/frequencies pairs go into a hat. Everyone who wants to participate carries their gear out into the field of contest. A Band/freq pair is drawn from the hat. When the starter announces the drawn pair, everyone gets to set up an antenna for that frequency. The goal is to get an antenna up that has an acceptable SWR at the desired frequency.

Maybe have different scoring for tuner needed/no tuner needed, qrp/medium power/qro.

My suggestion would be to have the various participants award points as they see fit for things like packed size/weight, cost effectiveness, time to put the antenna up, ease of adjustment, elegance, vertical/horizontal polarization, amount of space needed to deploy, color of wire, etc and announce their scoring, and when everyone has scored all the antennas you just ignore the points (e.g. “whose line is it anyway” scoring where the points don’t matter).

Then after everyone is done putting up that antenna, awarding points, etc. if time permits we just do it again, for a different band.

Seems to me like it could be a lot of fun and something where we might invite hams from other clubs to come and participate. Food might be consumed. Beverages might be consumed. Friendly competition might occur. We might get to know one another better. And everyone would probably learn a thing or two and walk away with a bunch of new ideas.

If this seems worth pursuing I would be happy to be the person to carry the ball forward, pick a date, try to contact other clubs, pick a good location, etc. A location with suitable trees might be good but it could also be challenging to have to put up an antenna in a parking lot, in an empty field, etc.

Thoughts? Interest?


-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!