Topics

DMR Class

Rowland

Hi All,

I have had several conversations with different club members on the possibility of having a DMR (digital mobile radio) class locally.  I would want to start at the basics and then work up the knowledge level. I have two questions on this subject…..

1. Does anyone in the club presently have the level of DMR knowledge to teach this class?
  2. If the answer to question 1 is no, then should I look around the area for someone that would be willing to teach this class
  3. And the most important question is how many others would like to sit in this class?

Thanks,

Rowland

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Schedule allowing I would take the class for sure.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Aug 7, 2019, at 1:53 PM, Rowland <k7rwb@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I have had several conversations with different club members on the possibility of having a DMR (digital mobile radio) class locally.  I would want to start at the basics and then work up the knowledge level. I have two questions on this subject…..

1. Does anyone in the club presently have the level of DMR knowledge to teach this class?
  2. If the answer to question 1 is no, then should I look around the area for someone that would be willing to teach this class
  3. And the most important question is how many others would like to sit in this class?

Thanks,

Rowland 

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

I recently set up a hot-spot and got DMR working so I'm happy to help others do the same, but I don't have in-depth knowledge yet.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Aug 7, 2019, 1:53 PM, Rowland < k7rwb@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Rowland

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

There is an active DMR group in the area, though, if we want to invite an expert. They even produce some hardware

http://www.trbo.org/pnw/index.html

On Aug 7, 2019, 2:34 PM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io < louis.giliberto@...> wrote:

I recently set up a hot-spot and got DMR working so I'm happy to help others do the same, but I don't have in-depth knowledge yet.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Rowland

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Whoops that's the old site. Here is the new one.

http://pnwdigital.net/

On Aug 7, 2019, 2:36 PM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io < louis.giliberto@...> wrote:

There is an active DMR group in the area, though, if we want to invite an expert. They even produce some hardware

http://www.trbo.org/pnw/index.html

On Aug 7, 2019, 2:34 PM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io < louis.giliberto@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Rowland

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

I've been using Wires-X (Yaesu), and would love to sit in on a digital class. I would also be happy to share my experience with digital via a show and tell.

Thanks for setting this up!

Howard
KJ7HHS

Kirt / K7KDW

Rowland, I know we've already discussed but count me in for the class.

From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> on behalf of howard@... <howard@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:29 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [snovarc] DMR Class

I've been using Wires-X (Yaesu), and would love to sit in on a digital class. I would also be happy to share my experience with digital via a show and tell.

Howard
KJ7HHS

Peter Marchel

As a newbie, I am interested.

Peter

From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kirt / K7KDW
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:47 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io

Rowland, I know we've already discussed but count me in for the class.

From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> on behalf of howard@... <howard@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:29 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io>

Howard
KJ7HHS

Robin Amundson

I would enjoy the topic.

73, Robin, WA7CPA

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

DMR is a nightmare compared to wires-x. It even makes d-star look simple. It's not really designed to be used the way hams are using it.

For example, to bring up a talk group (kinda like a reflector) you have to kerchunk the whole group and everyone's radios light up with rx. Worse, to leave a group you have to do the same but you need to wait for no rx. I've been on where people fast key in a QSO and I couldn't get out for 10 minutes, lol.

Everything is based on radio id so if you want to see a call sign or name you need to have them in your contacts which means downloading the master contact list into the radio. That list is 100k plus and climbing.

It's interesting and fun, but some of the ways hams push the envelope should be addressed for ease of use. It works well as a system for one organization, but for general use there are some sore spots.

On Aug 7, 2019, 2:42 PM, < howard@...> wrote:

Would love to attend a digital class. I've been getting into Wires-X and would love to learn more about DMR and share what I've learned about Wires-X if anyone was interested.

Howard
KJ7HHS

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Edited

Lou - yep that's why I invested in Wires-X. I evaluated DMR when I was looking at digital but it looked like a spaghetti bowl and overly complex and had limitations (as you describe). Wires-X isn't perfect but it has been pretty much plug-and-play and the setup and its use is very intuitive. The voice clarity is spectacular and the ability to reach folks around the world is a ton of fun.  I started with a mobile unit and am now building a home  Wires-X "node". I'm still interested in learning about DMR to better my understanding of how it might work into my setup.

Howard
KJ7HHS