Go Box


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

I'd like to start building a Go-Box for EmComm.  Do others have examples/experience?  Maybe bring an example to the park to look at?


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Thanks to Kirt, Paul and Bob for sharing your go-batteries and boxes tonight at the park. Lots of great stuff and cool ideas. What do you guys think of this 4u case? I like the idea of being able to throw it over my shoulder. Comments?

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Cases-Portable-Rackable-GRB-4U/dp/B0002J6HM4/ref=pd_day0_hl_267_3/137-5733567-2366351?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002J6HM4&pd_rd_r=964f7add-0dd1-4d82-8394-07ace2602039&pd_rd_w=nuvNS&pd_rd_wg=EIvb5&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=AVZ36XJ7CFT3WHP55G4X&psc=1&refRID=AVZ36XJ7CFT3WHP55G4X


Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

That’s one of the cases I considered using.  The really good news is that, once you build a box into a rack mount case, you can pretty easily put the entire setup into a different rack mount case just by pulling the shelves and faceplates out and shifting from old to new.

The issues I see are: you can’t fully remove the front and back covers (maybe not an issue but will take up table space), concern about how much protection the front and back get (how much space between the rack and the cover when the cover is closed), and it does not look like it would stack very well.

But I’d be very interested in seeing that case with a go box inside!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Aug 8, 2019, at 9:15 PM, howard@... wrote:

Thanks to Kirt, Paul and Bob for sharing your go-batteries and boxes tonight at the park. Lots of great stuff and cool ideas. What do you guys think of this 4u case? I like the idea of being able to throw it over my shoulder. Comments?

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Cases-Portable-Rackable-GRB-4U/dp/B0002J6HM4/ref=pd_day0_hl_267_3/137-5733567-2366351?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0002J6HM4&pd_rd_r=964f7add-0dd1-4d82-8394-07ace2602039&pd_rd_w=nuvNS&pd_rd_wg=EIvb5&pf_rd_p=ad07871c-e646-4161-82c7-5ed0d4c85b07&pf_rd_r=AVZ36XJ7CFT3WHP55G4X&psc=1&refRID=AVZ36XJ7CFT3WHP55G4X


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Paul - you make some really good points about that case - especially that there might not be that much protection in the front or rear panels and it's definitely is not made to stack. The case you have is awesome, nearly a tank, with the only missing feature being waterproof when closed (although I doubt that is necessary). But this one appears to be lighter and more luggable...Tough choices! I like the idea of building the Rack first using an external rack, sans a case, fine tune the setup and then think about which case to use.

Also - here is the link I was talking about yesterday for the "Power Charger Transfer Kit" available from John Boal K9JEB (Redmond) that I was thinking of adding to my Go-Box. I just bought a jpole from him. This is pretty cool because it can be connected full-time to a power supply and will automatically switch to battery power should AC be lost (or you can just run from the battery or keep it off and use on-demand). My next questions is can you put an SLA battery on its side? Fun stuff...
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM (!!! NOTE MY NEW CALLSIGN - replacing KJ7HHS)
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 


On Aug 9, 2019, at 11:18 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <howard@...> wrote:

Paul - you make some really good points about that case - especially that there might not be that much protection in the front or rear panels and it's definitely is not made to stack. The case you have is awesome, nearly a tank, with the only missing feature being waterproof when closed (although I doubt that is necessary).
None of these cases are waterproof but the SKB case I’ve got actually has a gasket, so when the end caps are on it’s probably rainproof.  I have no plans to submerge it so weather resistant is fine.  The manufacturers web sites will all tell you if a case has a gasket. 

But this one appears to be lighter and more luggable...Tough choices! I like the idea of building the Rack first using an external rack, sans a case, fine tune the setup and then think about which case to use.

One issue is that if you have multiple shelves, any cabling that goes from the top shelf to the bottom may well need to be routed differently if you change rack/case.


Also - here is the link I was talking about yesterday for the "Power Charger Transfer Kit" available from John Boal K9JEB (Redmond) that I was thinking of adding to my Go-Box. I just bought a jpole from him. This is pretty cool because it can be connected full-time to a power supply and will automatically switch to battery power should AC be lost (or you can just run from the battery or keep it off and use on-demand). My next questions is can you put an SLA battery on its side? Fun stuff…

Yes, you can put an SLA battery on its side.  An alternative to the kit from John is:

I have a couple of these and find them really handy.  Slightly more expensive than what John sells but John’s version would be a problem if the battery is on its side.


-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM (!!! NOTE MY NEW CALLSIGN - replacing KJ7HHS)
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Paul - thanks for the feedback above. The pwrgate looks perfect and isn't really more expensive since John's solution is a kit that you have to assemble, solder, etc. and you're right, John's solution sits on the top of the battery which poses a problem in a rack (thus my question about putting an SLA battery on its side). 

I noticed in your box that some of your items, like the rigs head was screwed to a mount that was attached directly to the rack - how did you mount your other items that don't have a natural way to secure to the rack? Straps? You're innards looks very neat and clean.  I didn't notice. I'm going to run over to Guitar center this weekend to check out if they have any rack cases on hand to look at. I'm also going to explore using a smaller 2u case for just carrying the power supply, Yaesu main unit, head and external speaker, then deal with the backup batteries separately. Don't know. So many permutations!! Thanks again for all the great input!

'


--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM --> Note new callsign - replacing KJ7HHS <--
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Paul Butzi (W7PFB)
 

The radio, head, power supply, speaker all have mounts that can be screwed directly to the shelves.  The pwrgate I will mount with velcro on the shelf and on the pwrgate.  The SLA battery will be held in place with l-brackets to hold it in place horizontally and a velcro strap to go over it to hold it to the shelf.

Let me know what you find at Guitar Center.  There’s a lot of value in being able to look things over, as opposed to order off the web.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Aug 9, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <howard@...> wrote:

Paul - thanks for the feedback above. The pwrgate looks perfect and isn't really more expensive since John's solution is a kit that you have to assemble, solder, etc. and you're right, John's solution sits on the top of the battery which poses a problem in a rack (thus my question about putting an SLA battery on its side). 

I noticed in your box that some of your items, like the rigs head was screwed to a mount that was attached directly to the rack - how did you mount your other items that don't have a natural way to secure to the rack? Straps? You're innards looks very neat and clean.  I didn't notice. I'm going to run over to Guitar center this weekend to check out if they have any rack cases on hand to look at. I'm also going to explore using a smaller 2u case for just carrying the power supply, Yaesu main unit, head and external speaker, then deal with the backup batteries separately. Don't know. So many permutations!! Thanks again for all the great input!

'


--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM --> Note new callsign - replacing KJ7HHS <--
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************