Topics

Help! Anderson Powerpole. Fail!

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Edited

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

It's my first attempt to make some Anderson Powerpoles for my go-box. I have completely failed to crimp a single one! I am in need of an Elmer!!

Is there anyone willing to school me this week? Glad to pay with coffee or beer!

Thanks!

WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

I’m totally up for giving people lessons on powerpole installation.  I have already found 127 of the nearly infinite array of ways to get it wrong.

How many folks want to participate?

Howard, when would you like to get together to address your current crisis?

On Aug 17, 2019, at 7:08 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

It's my first attempt to make some Anderson Powerpoles for my go-box. I have completely failed to crimp a single one! I am need of an Elmer!!

Is there anyone willing to school me this week? Glad to pay with coffee or beer!

Thanks!

WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

Paul Sprouse

If you don’t get schooled in the next week, I can help you when I get back from California. Can’t help much with the rest of the box, but I’m pretty good with Anderson.

N0HIT

On Aug 17, 2019, at 7:08 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

It's my first attempt to make some Anderson Powerpoles for my go-box. I have completely failed to crimp a single one! I am need of an Elmer!!

Is there anyone willing to school me this week? Glad to pay with coffee or beer!

Thanks!

WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

Paul- Monday or Tuesday could work. I could also wait for our Thursday night in the park gathering if that is more helpful for others who might need the lesson as well.

What works for you and thanks for the help!
WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

Thanks Paul! Safe travels.
WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

If we do something tomorrow afternoon (all are welcome) then you will be able to make progress to show us on Thursday.  So how about tomorrow, say, 1pm, at the club shack in Carnation?

On Aug 18, 2019, at 12:19 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Paul- Monday or Tuesday could work. I could also wait for our Thursday night in the park gathering if that is more helpful for others who might need the lesson as well.

What works for you and thanks for the help!
WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

Perfect. See you there. Thanks!

WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

Bob Otis

This is a good Elmer session.  I have gotten pretty good at Powerpoles, though, so I’ll miss it.  That said, the one tip I have found useful is the put the metal piece into the crimper the way you want it, and squeeze just enough to secure it.  Then, insert the wire and finish the crimp.  Also, sometimes inserting the crimped wire into the plastic holder can require some assistance (e.g., small screw driver).

Best of luck, Bob

WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

Thank you Paul (W7PFB) for the very helpful Anderson Power Pole crimping/installation lesson today and the other great advice for building my go-box!

73

Howard
WA1HEM <-- note new call-sign - replacing --> KJ7HHS

I’m glad I was able to help.

I will be happy to do as many little Powerpole Elmer sessions as needed to get everyone up to speed on how to install Powerpoles.  Folks need only ask. Having made many of he possible mistakes myself I’m thrilled to think others might learn from my mistakes rather than having to invent them de novo.