Topics

220 repeater WA7PFB 223.9 - 88.5

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.

The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5

I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.

The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5

I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

W7ABD

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Paul,

Similar to Lou and Jim I only have a 5 watt HT with a Tri-band Nagoya NA-320 triband antenna. Unfortunately, with my setup I cant trigger the repeater from my QTH up near the high school.

So great that you’re setting this up!

Howard

WA1HEM

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Just tried it at 21:42 PST

I couldn't hit it from with my HT in my yard (QTH is a mile or so off of Big Rock and Odell)  If I had an antenna with gain I may have, but this is the stock TH-D74 rubber duck so no joy. :-(

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Similar to Lou and Jim I only have a 5 watt HT with a Tri-band Nagoya NA-320 triband antenna. Unfortunately, with my setup I cant trigger the repeater from my QTH up near the high school.

So great that you’re setting this up!

Howard

WA1HEM

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

n6tjq@...

Tried this Friday morning (11/22)
I get the repeater response at full scale.  Excellent.

My QTH -  South end of Tolt Hill - Fall City.

Marc Miller - N6TJQ

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I heard you this morning, tried to dash over to the radio to respond but didn’t get there in time!  You were full quieting into the repeater.  What setup were you using?

Thanks for giving it a test!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 9:43 AM, n6tjq@... wrote:

Tried this Friday morning (11/22)
I get the repeater response at full scale.  Excellent.

My QTH -  South end of Tolt Hill - Fall City.

Marc Miller - N6TJQ

W7ABD

I tired using my Buddipole in 1/4 wave vertical configuration with my 5 Watt HT.  But could not hit the repeater.

Have no problems reaching the W7WRG repeater on 224.580 located up on Haystack with just the HT's antenna.

Looks like your repeater is deaf to the north Paul..

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 21:42, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
Just tried it at 21:42 PST

I couldn't hit it from with my HT in my yard (QTH is a mile or so off of Big Rock and Odell)  If I had an antenna with gain I may have, but this is the stock TH-D74 rubber duck so no joy. :-(

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Similar to Lou and Jim I only have a 5 watt HT with a Tri-band Nagoya NA-320 triband antenna. Unfortunately, with my setup I cant trigger the repeater from my QTH up near the high school.

So great that you’re setting this up!

Howard

WA1HEM

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

If you’re using the Btech tri-bander HT it’s specced at 4w 1.25m and 70cm.

But yeah, it looks like I can’t hear too well to the north.  There’s a pretty big rise between you and me but I also noticed poor coverage in the valley up near NE 124th and the prop simulation doesn’t match that.

I suspect I want the antenna up quite a bit higher.  Plans for that in the works…

Thanks for the feedback!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 11:57 AM, W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:

I tired using my Buddipole in 1/4 wave vertical configuration with my 5 Watt HT.  But could not hit the repeater.

Have no problems reaching the W7WRG repeater on 224.580 located up on Haystack with just the HT's antenna.

Looks like your repeater is deaf to the north Paul..

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 21:42, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
Just tried it at 21:42 PST

I couldn't hit it from with my HT in my yard (QTH is a mile or so off of Big Rock and Odell)  If I had an antenna with gain I may have, but this is the stock TH-D74 rubber duck so no joy. :-(

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Similar to Lou and Jim I only have a 5 watt HT with a Tri-band Nagoya NA-320 triband antenna. Unfortunately, with my setup I cant trigger the repeater from my QTH up near the high school.

So great that you’re setting this up!

Howard

WA1HEM

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

For comparison I cannot hit the Bell repeater at it’s current location at Jim’s place with a 5w HT at my place.  It’s actually touch and go hearing it on my GP-6 at about 30 feet and trying to access it with 50W into that GP-6 is also touch and go.

So I am not surprised I have coverage issues to the direct north.

On Nov 22, 2019, at 1:10 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

If you’re using the Btech tri-bander HT it’s specced at 4w 1.25m and 70cm.

But yeah, it looks like I can’t hear too well to the north.  There’s a pretty big rise between you and me but I also noticed poor coverage in the valley up near NE 124th and the prop simulation doesn’t match that.

I suspect I want the antenna up quite a bit higher.  Plans for that in the works…

Thanks for the feedback!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 11:57 AM, W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:

I tired using my Buddipole in 1/4 wave vertical configuration with my 5 Watt HT.  But could not hit the repeater.

Have no problems reaching the W7WRG repeater on 224.580 located up on Haystack with just the HT's antenna.

Looks like your repeater is deaf to the north Paul..

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 21:42, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:
Just tried it at 21:42 PST

I couldn't hit it from with my HT in my yard (QTH is a mile or so off of Big Rock and Odell)  If I had an antenna with gain I may have, but this is the stock TH-D74 rubber duck so no joy. :-(

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Similar to Lou and Jim I only have a 5 watt HT with a Tri-band Nagoya NA-320 triband antenna. Unfortunately, with my setup I cant trigger the repeater from my QTH up near the high school.

So great that you’re setting this up!

Howard

WA1HEM

Like Lou, I only have a 220 HT, so limited to 5 watts and a "dummy load antenna".

I did hear the repeater ID itself while in Downtown Duvall this afternoon, but was unable to hit the repeater from there or from my home QTH east of town.

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.
>

> -p W7PFB
> 73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

Ken Kosters

Hi all,

I do not have a 220 rig but turned my SDR dongle to it today at work station at Carnation Farms. No problem hearing with just tiny mag mount outside the building.

Ken W7ECK

On Nov 22, 2019, at 1:13 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

> [...]

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.

AA7Z

Paul,

I tried a few minutes ago with my Kenwood TH-F6A HT at 5W into a 14” Diamond Tri-Band antenna sitting in my upstairs study. I could hear the station ID, but could not break squelch with my rig. I’m sure elevating my antenna would help as we’re not that far apart.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
Dick
AA7Z

On Nov 22, 2019, at 3:39 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

> [...]

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.

Yep.  We’re about 2.1 miles apart.  There’s a ridge in between us.

If I could get the antenna up 100 feet it would make it a lot easier for folks north of me to hit the repeater.

Anyway I’m working on plans to
a) get the antenna up above my local clutter (perhaps that will happen this weekend or next week)
b) get the antenna up to 100 feet or so.  That will take longer.

I’ve ordered a different antenna, lower gain but easier to attach to a line at the top and then haul it up between two trees.  I figure I can get it up to about 60 feet that way.

Doing modeling with http://www.bedug.com/radio/ I’m seeing a lot of things now that I didn’t see when I was thinking all this through.  The big issue is not arranging for everyone being able to hear the repeater; the repeater puts out 30 watts.  The big issue is arranging things so that you can break squelch on the repeater with a 5w HT from the ground across the coverage area.

Definitely a learning experience, here.  Good fun!

On Nov 22, 2019, at 4:26 PM, AA7Z <AA7Z@...> wrote:

> [...]

I am thinking I can setup my Buddipole Antenna tomorrow and try again.  But don't have test equipment for 222 Mhz, so will be a challenge getting antenna tuned...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/21/19 19:19, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via Groups.Io wrote:

I'll give it a try as well, but only have 220 on my HT so not sure I'll hit it.

Thanks!

Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

Nice! I’ll give it a try tonight from my home QTH.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 9:41 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
>
> I have a 220 MHz repeater up and running at my QTH.
>
> The setup is 223.900MHz, standard negative shift of 1.6MHz, CTCSS tone 88.5
>
> I’d appreciate it if those of you with 1.25m radios gave it a try. Let me know what your results are.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

OK, my story time. I was able to make contacts on Thursday night.

I'm downtown Carnation behind the elementary school in the new development. I have a 2 story home and cannot reach any repeater with a whip antenna from anywhere in or around my home. For that reason, I have a 2/70 and a 1.25 antenna in the attic. My 1.25 is the Arrow OSJ-220 https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014681

I was able to hit the repeater using my BaoFeng UV-5X3 connected to that antenna (stack of adapters -> LMR-400 flex). That's only the 2nd 220 repeater I've made contact with. Good times indeed!

The BaoFeng isn't great so I give the reception report on-par or maybe slightly scratchier than normal. Now, the SnoVARC repeater was working well that night into my 7100 but we did have a good amount of fog downtown which has caused me reception problems in the past. It seemed people could hear me fine. Happy to keep testing as needed. Keep us posted on the changes and updates.