IC-705 anyone?

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Is the IC-705 interesting?
https://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/handheld/705/default.aspx

Portable HF/50/144/430 All Mode at 10W with external supply / 5W battery color display with scope.

If I was just starting out I might find this very interesting because it has the scope. Now that I own more cheap handhelds than I can carry at once plus the IC-7100 I don't find this as interesting. It looks cool as a portable though and supports a few things my 7100 doesn't. The max output power of 10W seems low though. All of the other Icom "mobile" radios @ 13.8v do at least 50W. Interested in your thoughts.

W7ABD

Hi Ryan,

I have had my eye on this one ever since it was announced...

The IC-705 is a QRP rig, so power output is low by design.  What I really like - it's a true SDR and has the same basic design and Waterfall display as the 7300.  Which I love! 

This rig would make an awesome RFI noise hunter.

But Icom really blew it when they released the 9700 - way over priced!  So worried they will do the same to the 705 and put it out of my reach...  Just have to wait and see...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/22/19 17:50, Ryan - KJ7GIE wrote:

Portable HF/50/144/430 All Mode at 10W with external supply / 5W battery color display with scope. 

If I was just starting out I might find this very interesting because it has the scope. Now that I own more cheap handhelds than I can carry at once plus the IC-7100 I don't find this as interesting. It looks cool as a portable though and supports a few things my 7100 doesn't. The max output power of 10W seems low though. All of the other Icom "mobile" radios @ 13.8v do at least 50W. Interested in your thoughts.

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Luckily the 9700 price dropped like a rock. I've been seeing some go used for about $1500 now. I have a linear amp I'm saving for otherwise I'd be looking to see if I could find one used for 1200.

The 705 looks to be a cool rig but I suspect it will be in the Elecraft price range.

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Nov 22, 2019, 8:12 PM, W7ABD < w7abd1@...> wrote:

Hi Ryan,

I have had my eye on this one ever since it was announced...

The IC-705 is a QRP rig, so power output is low by design.  What I really like - it's a true SDR and has the same basic design and Waterfall display as the 7300.  Which I love! 

This rig would make an awesome RFI noise hunter.

But Icom really blew it when they released the 9700 - way over priced!  So worried they will do the same to the 705 and put it out of my reach...  Just have to wait and see...

Jim
W7ABD

On 11/22/19 17:50, Ryan - KJ7GIE wrote:

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Ryan - You're killin' me! This is a really cool small unit, especially for use in a go-box or emcomm back pack. IMHO It would have been perfect if it also had 220 as well. But...alas...no more units for me.-  I'm still seriously wet-behind-the-ears as I only had my license for barely 5 months and I already have accumulated 2 hts, 2 mobile VHF/UHF and 1 HF base station (still new in a box and already month old)… LOL... That is the definition of the cart getting way ahead of the horse...
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Rowland

In my opinion slow down with the equipment purchases and get more training under your belt. That is a more affordable way to go also!

Thanks,

Rowland

From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 6:35 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] IC-705 anyone?

Ryan - You're killin' me! This is a really cool small unit, especially for use in a go-box or emcomm back pack. IMHO It would have been perfect if it also had 220 as well. But...alas...no more units for me.-  I'm still seriously wet-behind-the-ears as I only had my license for barely 5 months and I already have accumulated 2 hts, 2 mobile VHF/UHF and 1 HF base station (still new in a box and already month old)… LOL... That is the definition of the cart getting way ahead of the horse...
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Roger what Rowland said.

It was only after a bunch of years that I got a small (500w) amp. Before I jump to 1500 watts, I'm working on improving my receive capabilities. Yes there is some expense for a Beverage installation, and I may buy a small piece of equipment for phasing, but no more rigs or amps until I can make full use of my 500 watts and icom 7300.

Build your station in pieces and make sure that you can use 90% of the capabilities you have before you spend more money. :-) you will learn how not to spend money in the process because a lot of those gadgets we don't really need and the problems they solve can be overcome through ingenuity and sweat - part of the fun!

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Nov 24, 2019, 8:55 AM, Rowland < k7rwb@...> wrote:

In my opinion slow down with the equipment purchases and get more training under your belt. That is a more affordable way to go also!

Thanks,

Rowland

From: snovarc@groups.io <snovarc@groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 6:35 PM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: Re: [snovarc] IC-705 anyone?

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Robin WA7CPA

My non-engineer POV is do/spend whatever it takes ASAP to get on the air and have fun. As you operate you figure out what’s needed next. Get any antenna up and GO. Then work out the rest of your farm. Also, when you spend, buy ONCE. It is more expensive to go cheap and keep upgrading because you left behind features. For instance when I bought my KPA500 amp I didn’t spend the money on the one with more features that now I dearly wish I had. If I had a rule for myself about building stuff myself I wouldn’t yet have a functioning shack. Getting help is what my Elmer’s are for...btw Elmer’s, my 8900 is dead as a door nail. Need help in December troubleshooting...thanks in advance.

Robin, WA7CPA

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

I don't think what I'm saying is much different from what you said, Robin - just equal and opposite. Your caution is not to underbuy, and I agree. My caution is not to overbuy. There's a place in the middle.

-Lou

P.S. Not sure what engineering has to do with - I do have "engineer" in my title, but my degree is in math / theoretical compsci. I don't solder too much, but I can shift around Greek letters like a three card Monty dealer and make a Turing Machine squeal like bad brakes on a 73 Ford, lol.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 2:58 PM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@gmail.com> wrote:

My non-engineer POV is do/spend whatever it takes ASAP to get on the air and have fun. As you operate you figure out what’s needed next. Get any antenna up and GO. Then work out the rest of your farm. Also, when you spend, buy ONCE. It is more expensive to go cheap and keep upgrading because you left behind features. For instance when I bought my KPA500 amp I didn’t spend the money on the one with more features that now I dearly wish I had. If I had a rule for myself about building stuff myself I wouldn’t yet have a functioning shack. Getting help is what my Elmer’s are for...btw Elmer’s, my 8900 is dead as a door nail. Need help in December troubleshooting...thanks in advance.

Robin, WA7CPA