Mellish Reef DXpedition Elmer presentation interest?

Robin WA7CPA

Rob Fanfant, N7QT, will be returning very soon from the Mellish Reef Dxpedition, VK9MA. I am sure he will book up very quickly for Elmer presentations. Any interest in booking him in his first available month? Mellish Reef is uninhabited way out in the Coral Sea. How cool is that? Did anyone work the DXpedition?

Robin, WA7CPA

Bengt-Erik Norum

I'm happy to invite him - this will be an interesting one, for sure!  I was originally scheduled to be on the trip and had to bail, due to the new job.  I built the website and donation mechanism and was a pilot and twitter liaison for the operation, while they were out there.  Some of my equipment even went without me.

I can tell you that this operation falls into the "mega complexity" category.  They took ~8 pallets of gear and ran 5 operating positions, often with two stations on the same band (CW/RTTY & Phone).   Their final tally for ~10 days on the reef was 43k (+/- some for log discrepancies).

73, K7ADD

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:
Rob Fanfant, N7QT, will be returning very soon from the Mellish Reef Dxpedition, VK9MA. I am sure he will book up very quickly for Elmer presentations. Any interest in booking him in his first available month? Mellish Reef is uninhabited way out in the Coral Sea. How cool is that? Did anyone work the DXpedition?

Robin, WA7CPA

Rowland

Yes for the DX Expedition presentation.  Make sure there is an opening for a particular month for him to present to club.

Thank You,

Rowland Brasch

Rowland Brasch

K7RWB

SnoValley Amateur Radio Club (SnoVARC)

www.snovarc.org

SnoVARC Facebook

From: snovarc@groups.io [mailto:snovarc@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 9:28 AM
To: snovarc@groups.io
Subject: [snovarc] Mellish Reef DXpedition Elmer presentation interest?

Robin, WA7CPA

Chuck

Yes on DX presentation.

Chuck
KE7JWP

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 17, 2017, at 10:30 AM, Rowland <k7rwb@...> wrote:

Yes for the DX Expedition presentation.  Make sure there is an opening for a particular month for him to present to club.

Thank You,

Rowland Brasch

Rowland Brasch

K7RWB

www.snovarc.org

SnoVARC Facebook

Robin, WA7CPA

Martin Tuip

I worked them on cw on 15 and 17. Was unable to get them on other bands or modes for some reason.

Martin

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM -0800, "Chuck" <chuckpowrie@...> wrote:

Yes on DX presentation.

Chuck
KE7JWP

Sent from my iPad

Thank You,

Rowland Brasch

Rowland Brasch

K7RWB

www.snovarc.org

SnoVARC Facebook

Robin, WA7CPA

Robin WA7CPA

Bengt,
Yes please invite Rob to SnoVarc!
Thank you. I was not at October meeting. Do not know Elmer Schedule. Can someone with that information speak to a date?

Thanks,
Robin, WA7CPA 

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 17, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Bengt-Erik Norum <k7add@...> wrote:

I'm happy to invite him - this will be an interesting one, for sure!  I was originally scheduled to be on the trip and had to bail, due to the new job.  I built the website and donation mechanism and was a pilot and twitter liaison for the operation, while they were out there.  Some of my equipment even went without me.

I can tell you that this operation falls into the "mega complexity" category.  They took ~8 pallets of gear and ran 5 operating positions, often with two stations on the same band (CW/RTTY & Phone).   Their final tally for ~10 days on the reef was 43k (+/- some for log discrepancies).

73, K7ADD

Robin, WA7CPA

You can bump me if needed as my schedule has been a mess. 

Ken 

On Nov 17, 2017, at 1:24 PM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Bengt,
Thank you. I was not at October meeting. Do not know Elmer Schedule. Can someone with that information speak to a date?

Thanks,
Robin, WA7CPA 

Sent from my iPhone

73, K7ADD

Robin, WA7CPA

Lindy KG7IFA

Here is the tentative schedule.  As you can see there are several available slots.

January (Split group 50/50): 1) Net Control Training (FD radio) and 2) Messaging Practice -- Ralph/Tom
February: Hands on WINLINK (to set up & run) -- Jim
March: Emergency Antenna/Hand Held Antenna -- Ken/Shawn
April: Radio Club of Redmond speaker -- Robin
May: Radio Club of Redmond speaker -- Robin
June: Field Day Prep
July: Alternative Sources of Power for Radio (Emergency Power Supply) -- Shawn
August: Directional Antennas & Schedule a Fox Hunt - Dan
September: OPEN
October: Planning
November: OPEN
December: Dinner

-----Original Message-----
To: snovarc <snovarc@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Mellish Reef DXpedition Elmer presentation interest?

Bengt,

Thanks,
Robin, WA7CPA 

Sent from my iPhone

73, K7ADD

Robin, WA7CPA

Robin WA7CPA

LOL, I missed the meeting and got slotted to find two consecutive speakers. Bengt-- do you think April is too far in the future for Rob to still want to give a talk?
Robin, WA7CPA

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Lindy KG7IFA via Groups.Io <lindyforbarclays@...> wrote:
Here is the tentative schedule.  As you can see there are several available slots.

January (Split group 50/50): 1) Net Control Training (FD radio) and 2) Messaging Practice -- Ralph/Tom
February: Hands on WINLINK (to set up & run) -- Jim
March: Emergency Antenna/Hand Held Antenna -- Ken/Shawn
April: Radio Club of Redmond speaker -- Robin
May: Radio Club of Redmond speaker -- Robin
June: Field Day Prep
July: Alternative Sources of Power for Radio (Emergency Power Supply) -- Shawn
August: Directional Antennas & Schedule a Fox Hunt - Dan
September: OPEN
October: Planning
November: OPEN
December: Dinner

-----Original Message-----
To: snovarc <snovarc@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm
Subject: Re: [snovarc] Mellish Reef DXpedition Elmer presentation interest?

Bengt,

Thanks,
Robin, WA7CPA 

Sent from my iPhone

73, K7ADD

Robin, WA7CPA

Robin WA7CPA

Martin,
What kind of antenna did you use and how much power and what time of day were the contacts with VK9MA?

Robin, WA7CPA

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Martin Tuip <ajax@...> wrote:

I worked them on cw on 15 and 17. Was unable to get them on other bands or modes for some reason.

Martin

Yes on DX presentation.

Chuck
KE7JWP

Sent from my iPad

Thank You,

Rowland Brasch

Rowland Brasch

K7RWB

www.snovarc.org

SnoVARC Facebook

Robin, WA7CPA

Martin Tuip

G5RV less than 100w and around 3pm PST I think. Both didn't take more than 10 minutes in the pileup. The other bands didn't work out as there were too many high powered JA stations and no way to get through.

Martin

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 6:03 PM -0800, "Robin Amundson" <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Martin,
What kind of antenna did you use and how much power and what time of day were the contacts with VK9MA?

Robin, WA7CPA

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Martin Tuip <ajax@...> wrote:

Martin

Yes on DX presentation.

Chuck
KE7JWP

Sent from my iPad

Thank You,

Rowland Brasch

Rowland Brasch

K7RWB

www.snovarc.org

SnoVARC Facebook

Robin, WA7CPA