Topics

Brimar or Mullard 12AU7 Tubes

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Awesome! Thanks Dan - Ill check out the link.

Dan Pflugrath

Here is the correct link to the tube source in Cashmere.  They have the tube you are looking for at $25.00 each.  Wow.

Link to web page  http://www.vacuumtubes.biz/tubes-1  The link to the tube inventory is on this page.

List of available tubes with pricing from the above link.  https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57ae25c75016e1690c41b053/t/5e042d733c0d2457768bd10f/1577332114147/tubes.pdf

Dan KA7GPP

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Shawn - Im in no rush at all... thanks!
Gerard - your dad should definitely charge more - LOL!

Ryan - I had a suspicion you were an audiophile - I just got my first phono tube pre-amp and am planning my first tube role. I would love to pick your brain offline about your experience/setup.

Shawn / K7ATA

How soon do you actually need the tubes?

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 4/12/2020 5:59 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
Gerard - Wow! .50 cents!?  I have only found Mullard and Brimar 12AU7 going for $35 Plus... I have even seen some folks asking upwards of $100.... if your Dad knows of a reliable source at those prices - sign me up!

Howard

Gerard Repko

Yep, that’s what my dad predominately does,Now that he is mostly retired. He restores old radios for vintage radio clubs back east. I’m gonna have to let him know he probably isn’t charging enough $$😉

On Apr 13, 2020, at 3:23 PM, Gerard Repko via groups.io <kg7rev=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’ll give him another call. I guess within his circle that’s what he gets them for. He said he’s got a bunch of good used ones. Said they put them in everything back in the day, said they are a very common type. When you find the AX or AY he said those are harder to come by. Anyhow I’ll give him a call. But like I said he’s in jersey so he has to ship them to me. I’ll let you know.
KG7REV
Gerard
On Apr 12, 2020, at 7:45 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <@KJ7GIE> wrote:

The price of tubes has gone up significantly over the past couple years as "audiophiles" and "vintage audio" enthusiasts are preferring them over solid-state gear. If you've got a pile of tubes on hand it may be time to sell them and retire (ok, not really). Spending over $100 a tube for a matched set of New Old Stock (NOS) is not unheard of. A buddy of mine recently realized he's got a set of preamp NOS tubes, slightly used, made in Holland that go for over $200 now. It's kind of crazy. But, <sigh>, even I took the plunge this year. I bought some audio amps that have a tube based input stage. I've rolled some 6BZ7/ECC88 tubes and can hear a difference so I've swallowed the kool-aid and am enjoying the hobby. I have only bought 1 tube though and that was from Tube Depot. Easy and fast shipping no issues I recommend. A friend of mine lives near this shop and says its run by people who know what they are doing with a large selection https://www.vivatubes.com Good luck.

Gerard Repko

[...]

Ryan - KJ7GIE

[...]

Called my dad and he said that is a very common type of tube, and that $34.95 price tag on the link Rowland shared was super crazy over priced. Good used ones can be found for .50 cents . But if someone can’t find that AU for under $35 let me know and he said he’ll dig some out and mail them to me. He’s in New Jersey, so it won’t happen overnight.

73
KG7REV
Gerard

On Apr 10, 2020, at 9:07 AM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

I have a matched pair of International 12AU7A/ECC82 in front of me. NOS

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 4/10/2020 7:51 AM, Shawn / K7ATA via groups.io wrote:
I'll look in my box and see if I have any.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 4/9/2020 2:41 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
Anybody know of a good source?

Gerard Repko

Let me call my dad, he’s an old school tv, radio electronics repairman. I know he’s got a lot of tubes, just don’t know which.

On Apr 10, 2020, at 7:51 AM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

I'll look in my box and see if I have any.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 4/9/2020 2:41 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
Anybody know of a good source?

Thanks all. Im tube-rolling a phono amp. This info is greatly appreciated!

Shawn / K7ATA

I have a matched pair of International 12AU7A/ECC82 in front of me. NOS

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 4/10/2020 7:51 AM, Shawn / K7ATA via groups.io wrote:
I'll look in my box and see if I have any.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 4/9/2020 2:41 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
Anybody know of a good source?

Dan Pflugrath

A little known source in Cashmere.  Check out the video, it is like a radio museum.  Note the old tube checker.

Antique Mall at Cashmere  Link " Antique Mall You Tube "

603 Cotlets Way, Cashmere, WA 9881

They have a large selection of tubes to sell.

Dan KA7GPP

Shawn / K7ATA

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 2:41 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Anybody know of a good source?

Benjamin Thompson

I don't know much about tubes (like if this is what you are looking for)... but Rich Hozjan may have 1 or more.
image.png