Topics

6 meter tune up

Tom WA7TBP

Hello everyone:

I am sorry I haven't got the summary of the 6 meter tune up out yet. I am in my RV until next Wednesday, and I failed to bring my logbook from home. I will get the summary out as soon as I can after we get back.

Sorry about that. A thumbnail sketch of the exercise was that most stations were able to hear one another. If I remember right, I was not able to hear 3 stations of all those that checked in. I feel that 6 meters offers SNOVARC some great value for public service, rag chews and EMCOMM. When I was a two way radio tech, I worked in the Snoqualmie Valley. Weyerhauser was our biggest customer. I was amazed at the coverage with the 49 MHz simplex base station they had throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce County. Maybe we should have another 6 meter tune up in the future.

Again, sorry I forgot my logbook. I will do my best to get the summary out as soon as I get home. Thanks to all of you that participated in the test.

Tom, WA7TBP

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Thanks, Tom.  I have to say, going into the exercise I figured my antenna, which is horizontally polarized and frankly pretty awful for 6m, would mean that I would have very poor performance on 6m, both SSB and FM.  To my great surprise, I found my station performed surprisingly well.  Good news!

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 23, 2020, at 9:29 AM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp@...> wrote:

Hello everyone:

I am sorry I haven't got the summary of the 6 meter tune up out yet. I am in my RV until next Wednesday, and I failed to bring my logbook from home. I will get the summary out as soon as I can after we get back.

Sorry about that. A thumbnail sketch of the exercise was that most stations were able to hear one another. If I remember right, I was not able to hear 3 stations of all those that checked in. I feel that 6 meters offers SNOVARC some great value for public service, rag chews and EMCOMM. When I was a two way radio tech, I worked in the Snoqualmie Valley. Weyerhauser was our biggest customer. I was amazed at the coverage with the 49 MHz simplex base station they had throughout King, Snohomish and Pierce County. Maybe we should have another 6 meter tune up in the future.

Again, sorry I forgot my logbook. I will do my best to get the summary out as soon as I get home. Thanks to all of you that participated in the test.

Tom, WA7TBP

Robin Amundson

It was my first-ever 6m FM experience and the sound quality was fantastic. I am a new 6m FM enthusiast. 

Robin, WA7CPA

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Thanks, Tom.  I have to say, going into the exercise I figured my antenna, which is horizontally polarized and frankly pretty awful for 6m, would mean that I would have very poor performance on 6m, both SSB and FM.  To my great surprise, I found my station performed surprisingly well.  Good news!

-p W7PFB

Hello everyone:

Tom, WA7TBP

Paul Zoba

Hey, it was new to me too! But then lots of things in this field are new to me... lol.

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 10:27 AM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:
It was my first-ever 6m FM experience and the sound quality was fantastic. I am a new 6m FM enthusiast. 

Robin, WA7CPA

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 9:39 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Thanks, Tom.  I have to say, going into the exercise I figured my antenna, which is horizontally polarized and frankly pretty awful for 6m, would mean that I would have very poor performance on 6m, both SSB and FM.  To my great surprise, I found my station performed surprisingly well.  Good news!

-p W7PFB

Hello everyone:

Tom, WA7TBP

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

I just got my Hf fired up. Missed the 6m tune up the other night. Is there any one willing to try a test qso with me this weekend?
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I would be delighted to try a test qso.

-p W7PFB

On May 23, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I just got my Hf fired up. Missed the 6m tune up the other night. Is there any one willing to try a test qso with me this weekend?
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Paul Zoba

Me too.  When and where?

On May 23, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Im on the radio note. Pick a time and frequency? Thanks!!

Excuse my typos - sent via my thumbs or by voice from a mobile device

On May 23, 2020, at 4:14 PM, Paul Zoba <pezoba@...> wrote:

Me too.  When and where?

On May 23, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Thanks Paul (W7PFB) for testing 6M SSB and FM  with me this weekend.

I'm looking for others in various QTH's to continue testing with. Let me know if interested. 

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Robin Amundson

I am interested and available in the shack for a few minutes right now.

Robin, WA7CPA

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:52 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Thanks Paul (W7PFB) for testing 6M SSB and FM  with me this weekend.

I'm looking for others in various QTH's to continue testing with. Let me know if interested. 

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104