Icom OPC-1529R pinout

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Does someone have an Icom OPC-1529R cable that they would kindly verify the pinout for me? Or can I borrow it for the weekend?

This is the RS-232C (DB9 <-> 2.5mm phono) cable used on the DATA1 jack of the IC-7100 (and others) radio. On the IC-7100 this is the port for feeding GPS NMEA sentences. I bought a generic cable and the radio does not indicate its seeing the sentences. Next step in my troubleshooting is to identify that my generic cable is pinned properly. My Google searching indicates my cable _should_ be good but I cannot find any official pinout material from Icom so I hope someone can confirm from the "real deal" cable.

Much appreciated, happy Friday, and 73's

Ralph Lease

Ryan,
I'm probably looking at the same data online that you are. It shows the 2.5 mm stereo plug tip as db9 terminal 3, the center as terminal 2 and the rear as terminal 5.

Ralph

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020, 8:46 AM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
Does someone have an Icom OPC-1529R cable that they would kindly verify the pinout for me? Or can I borrow it for the weekend?

This is the RS-232C (DB9 <-> 2.5mm phono) cable used on the DATA1 jack of the IC-7100 (and others) radio. On the IC-7100 this is the port for feeding GPS NMEA sentences. I bought a generic cable and the radio does not indicate its seeing the sentences. Next step in my troubleshooting is to identify that my generic cable is pinned properly. My Google searching indicates my cable _should_ be good but I cannot find any official pinout material from Icom so I hope someone can confirm from the "real deal" cable.

Much appreciated, happy Friday, and 73's

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I am one of thoseold guys who suffered through the prevalence of RS-232C and I can tell you that the frequency of problems being related to a need for a null modem in between devices is very high.

It may be that your cable is wired correctly but needs tx and rx swapped. Or that one device or the other is expecting/insisting on one of the RTS/CTS/DCR/DTR signals and not seeing it.

Or baud rate mismatch. Or just some confusion about bits per character, parity presence/odd/evenness.

It’s times like this I wish I had a fancy schmancy oscope that did serial data decode, so that I could lend it to you to get you unstuck.

I do have a dual trace oscope that does not do serial decode, and I would be happy to loan it to you so he can at least examine the signals at the 2.5mm plug end and see what’s on what part of the connector.

On Nov 20, 2020, at 8:46 AM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@reign.net> wrote:

Does someone have an Icom OPC-1529R cable that they would kindly verify the pinout for me? Or can I borrow it for the weekend?

This is the RS-232C (DB9 <-> 2.5mm phono) cable used on the DATA1 jack of the IC-7100 (and others) radio. On the IC-7100 this is the port for feeding GPS NMEA sentences. I bought a generic cable and the radio does not indicate its seeing the sentences. Next step in my troubleshooting is to identify that my generic cable is pinned properly. My Google searching indicates my cable _should_ be good but I cannot find any official pinout material from Icom so I hope someone can confirm from the "real deal" cable.

Much appreciated, happy Friday, and 73's

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Got the null modem test covered already (no change). I need to build some kind of breakout to start taking the other signals to ground on the GPS side. That is the part that is not easily tested and is my weekend project. Obviously, the radio side does not need any of those signals because the 2.5mm phono cannot provide them. But, I'm not sure what the GPS side may need to start sending. And, yes, I realize I'm probably making this the most complicated way to get GPS into the 7100.

OK, joke time... during my research I found a post someone requesting advise on a bracket to attach their GPS antenna to their residential radio tower. One of the responses "How often does your tower move?"

Robin WA7CPA

If your cable is a Prolific it is irredeemable.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020, 8:46 AM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
Does someone have an Icom OPC-1529R cable that they would kindly verify the pinout for me? Or can I borrow it for the weekend?

This is the RS-232C (DB9 <-> 2.5mm phono) cable used on the DATA1 jack of the IC-7100 (and others) radio. On the IC-7100 this is the port for feeding GPS NMEA sentences. I bought a generic cable and the radio does not indicate its seeing the sentences. Next step in my troubleshooting is to identify that my generic cable is pinned properly. My Google searching indicates my cable _should_ be good but I cannot find any official pinout material from Icom so I hope someone can confirm from the "real deal" cable.

Much appreciated, happy Friday, and 73's

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I posted some pictures on FB here is the new test set-up:
GPS -> DB9|DB9 -> breadboard
breadboard -> DB9|DB9 -> PC
breadboard -> DB9|2.5mm -> radio

This allows me to swap pins however I want. I also verified the DB9 to 2.5mm cable does, indeed, work when I plug the cable into the PC (bit of a hack job and blue tack that was).

PC is happy. Radio is not. I can't imagine what's wrong at this point unless the radio just hates this GPS. That'd require I get some examples of what a "working" GPS outputs. Suggestions, criticisms, dad jokes... all welcome company at this point as I'm not sure what to work on next. Thanks all.

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Ryan,
Nice Hack... love it. What are your settings in your Rig?

I posted some pictures on FB here is the new test set-up:
GPS -> DB9|DB9 -> breadboard
breadboard -> DB9|DB9 -> PC
breadboard -> DB9|2.5mm -> radio

This allows me to swap pins however I want. I also verified the DB9 to 2.5mm cable does, indeed, work when I plug the cable into the PC (bit of a hack job and blue tack that was).

PC is happy. Radio is not. I can't imagine what's wrong at this point unless the radio just hates this GPS. That'd require I get some examples of what a "working" GPS outputs. Suggestions, criticisms, dad jokes... all welcome company at this point as I'm not sure what to work on next. Thanks all.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I've tried a few different things including doing a reset to factory and following _just_ the GPS section of the advanced instructions. That basically just means turning on external GPS and setting to 9600 bps. I've flipped most of the knobs I can find related to the data 1 jack and GPS. Never saw a blip that would indicate it read a GPS sentence sadly.

Shawn / K7ATA

here's what a working GPS looks like on a serial line as it goes into acquisition mode:

--------------------------------

$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPTXT,01,01,02,u-blox ag - www.u-blox.com*50
$GPTXT,01,01,02,HW  UBX-G60xx  00040007 FF7FFFFFp*53
$GPTXT,01,01,02,ROM CORE 7.03 (45969) Mar 17 2011 16:18:34*59
$GPTXT,01,01,02,ANTSUPERV=AC SD PDoS SR*20
$GPTXT,01,01,02,ANTSTATUS=OK*3B
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
$GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
$GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
$GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
$GPGSV,1,1,00*79
$GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
$
----------------------------------

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 11/20/2020 6:29 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE wrote:
I posted some pictures on FB here is the new test set-up:
GPS -> DB9|DB9 -> breadboard
breadboard -> DB9|DB9 -> PC
breadboard -> DB9|2.5mm -> radio

This allows me to swap pins however I want. I also verified the DB9 to 2.5mm cable does, indeed, work when I plug the cable into the PC (bit of a hack job and blue tack that was).

PC is happy. Radio is not. I can't imagine what's wrong at this point unless the radio just hates this GPS. That'd require I get some examples of what a "working" GPS outputs. Suggestions, criticisms, dad jokes... all welcome company at this point as I'm not sure what to work on next. Thanks all.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Yup, that all looks like what my GPS is spitting out (minus the GPTXT sentences and, of course, I've got lock so there is real data in there). Thank you for confirming Shawn.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Solved!
I exhausted all cable troubleshooting and I was really getting down on myself. But, I had also convinced myself that, yes indeed, the cable must be good. If it wasn't the cable it must be the GPS sentences. The silly radio must simply be throwing away what I was sending it. Why would it do that? Did it not not like the sentences... did it not like... hmmm... wait... is this thing _that_ finicky that any misalignment across a row would cause it to throw away the sentence? Yes, it's that finicky.

The PC looks for GPS sentences which start at "$GP" but that isn't good enough for the spec; or the radio. The NMEA spec is that the sentence must start at the beginning of the line and end with a CR/LF (carriage return / linefeed). And, after just literally staring at the output for almost an hour, I started to realize that this GPS / serial set-up wasn't entirely accurate with starting at the beginning of the line which meant the CR/LF was probably also not landing at the end of the line. PC happy. Radio no.

I'm now taking the GPS sentences off the serial, reformatting them, and pushing them out to the radio. Radio go happy now! Funny thing is that this is assisted by my old unix friend unix2dos:
cat /dev/serial0 | unix2dos -f > /dev/serial0

Now to clean-up the shack of all my little experiments and button this thin up.

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

For a moment I was thinking you were saying the GPS is not really NMEA compliant, which would surprise me greatly.

But what is happening is that the tty driver is set to squish CFLF into a newline, and then the opposite is not being done on the output side.

So you could also fix this by disentangling the tty driver’s treatment of CR and LF on input and output.

If you had asked me in 1977 I would have said that by now humanity would have this cr, lf, business fully sorted by 2020. But no. Apparently this is going to haunt us forever.