W7PFB-10 Winlink RMS

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Down for a short while while I move the antenna. I thought it was going to be quick to move but the coax is tangled in the blackberry canes so it’s turning into an all out hand to hand battle.

Once I get the antenna sorted, I will be upgrading the station to VARA 4.0.1, which will not be backward compatible with the 3.x version. So folks will need to update the VARA installation on their computers as well if they want to connect via VARA FM. Packet should be unaffected.

The good news here is that when it’s all done the antenna will have moved from a stub mast that held it about 5 feet above ground to a overhead suspension that will hold it up at about 65 feet at the base. So coverage should improve quite a bit.

Sounds like a prickly situation :-) Looking forward to testing out the improved vara version in combo with your higher antenna install.

On Dec 1, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

Down for a short while while I move the antenna.  I thought it was going to be quick to move but the coax is tangled in the blackberry canes so it’s turning into an all out hand to hand battle.

Once I get the antenna sorted, I will be upgrading the station to VARA 4.0.1, which will not be backward compatible with the 3.x version.  So folks will need to update the VARA installation on their computers as well if they want to connect via VARA FM.  Packet should be unaffected.

The good news here is that when it’s all done the antenna will have moved from a stub mast that held it about 5 feet above ground to a overhead suspension that will hold it up at about 65 feet at the base.  So coverage should improve quite a bit.

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************

Ok, W7PFB-10 is now up and operating on the relocated antenna up at 75ft at the top, 65ft at the bottom. The antenna analyzer is happy with the antenna and feedline but the feedline might be up for replacement, it was looking sort of dodgy.

It is now running the 4.0.1 version of VARA FM. I have verified that it is working with a VARA FM 4.0.1 client and also with 1200 baud AX.25 packet.

I’d be interested in signal reports, and also of course if you have any problems let me know.

Reminder, you will need to download and install version 4.0.1 of VARA FM to connect using VARA. If you start VARA FM it will give you a button to download the new version. Download, unzip the archive, and run the setup program. I needed to reassure Windows that it was not infected with viruses. I had not problems upgrading and the only snag I had to deal with was closing the running VARA FM so it could update the executable. All my settings and everything else were preserved.

On Dec 1, 2020, at 1:00 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@butzi.net> wrote:

Down for a short while while I move the antenna. I thought it was going to be quick to move but the coax is tangled in the blackberry canes so it’s turning into an all out hand to hand battle.

Once I get the antenna sorted, I will be upgrading the station to VARA 4.0.1, which will not be backward compatible with the 3.x version. So folks will need to update the VARA installation on their computers as well if they want to connect via VARA FM. Packet should be unaffected.

The good news here is that when it’s all done the antenna will have moved from a stub mast that held it about 5 feet above ground to a overhead suspension that will hold it up at about 65 feet at the base. So coverage should improve quite a bit.

Is it a simple upgrade?  Both for packet and FM?

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:01 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Down for a short while while I move the antenna.  I thought it was going to be quick to move but the coax is tangled in the blackberry canes so it’s turning into an all out hand to hand battle.

Once I get the antenna sorted, I will be upgrading the station to VARA 4.0.1, which will not be backward compatible with the 3.x version.  So folks will need to update the VARA installation on their computers as well if they want to connect via VARA FM.  Packet should be unaffected.

The good news here is that when it’s all done the antenna will have moved from a stub mast that held it about 5 feet above ground to a overhead suspension that will hold it up at about 65 feet at the base.  So coverage should improve quite a bit.

You don’t need to do anything for packet, all that remains as it was.

The upgrade for VARA FM is straightforward, all my settings were preserved across the upgrade.

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:44 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Is it a simple upgrade?  Both for packet and FM?

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 1:01 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Down for a short while while I move the antenna.  I thought it was going to be quick to move but the coax is tangled in the blackberry canes so it’s turning into an all out hand to hand battle.

Once I get the antenna sorted, I will be upgrading the station to VARA 4.0.1, which will not be backward compatible with the 3.x version.  So folks will need to update the VARA installation on their computers as well if they want to connect via VARA FM.  Packet should be unaffected.

The good news here is that when it’s all done the antenna will have moved from a stub mast that held it about 5 feet above ground to a overhead suspension that will hold it up at about 65 feet at the base.  So coverage should improve quite a bit.

Success!

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:48 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
[...]

Can I move to 4.01 now?

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:47 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

[...]

[...]