Fldigi

Rowland

Hi,

Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions but......

Would it be possible to have a Zoom presentation from some of you that have mastered this product to help out those of us that are having challenges?  I think it would be appreciated.

I’d be happy to do a zoom thing.  But I suspect this is a fldigi rig control setting wrong… Maybe a quick call would do the trick.

On Dec 18, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Hi,

Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions but......

Would it be possible to have a Zoom presentation from some of you that have mastered this product to help out those of us that are having challenges?  I think it would be appreciated.

Maybe a quick call would help me but I know others would like to understand the process.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 3:09 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io <w7pfb=butzi.net@groups.io> wrote:
I’d be happy to do a zoom thing.  But I suspect this is a fldigi rig control setting wrong… Maybe a quick call would do the trick.

On Dec 18, 2020, at 1:34 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Hi,

Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions but......

Would it be possible to have a Zoom presentation from some of you that have mastered this product to help out those of us that are having challenges?  I think it would be appreciated.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I'd be happy to do this. I agree, a 1 on 1 or maybe just a couple people would be best. It can be finicky and radio dependent so, unless everyone has the exact same gear, it's best to troubleshoot one on one. When troubleshooting, unless we want to occupy a / the repeater, it's best to use simplex and then you run into a who-can-hear-who problem. A few of us tried some simplex troubleshooting a few weeks back and after two hours we were still troubleshooting parts of the set-up. We made a lot of progress and fldigi was working in everyones's shack but I was plagued by the "Carnation bathtub" problem which limited our fun.

Anyway, let's do it. Let me know a time and who can open the zoom (or we can use the free 45 min. account) and we'll get it working.

As far as a presentation... I'd like the tech or emcomm groups to determine the preferred way the club would use fldigi for communication. fldigi is a multi-tool and, like most multi-tools, its not useful unless you can apply it to a task. I can help with that as well and then we can present.

Also... a very very kind club member has let me borrow their 7300 so I will go get get that working with my fldigi this weekend and I can respond with the radio settings.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 01:34 PM, Rowland wrote:

Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work
with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success
getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions
but......

Rowland

That sounds great Ryan. I agree with same equipment usage during the session. We can use the snovarc or cdccc zoom session so e can go beyond the 45 min limit.
Next week is Christmas week so maybe better the week after.  I know Ralph and I are interested if you want to start with us or maybe one more. We both have 7300. Please clarify the repeater/simplex reference.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
I'd be happy to do this. I agree, a 1 on 1 or maybe just a couple people would be best. It can be finicky and radio dependent so, unless everyone has the exact same gear, it's best to troubleshoot one on one. When troubleshooting, unless we want to occupy a / the repeater, it's best to use simplex and then you run into a who-can-hear-who problem. A few of us tried some simplex troubleshooting a few weeks back and after two hours we were still troubleshooting parts of the set-up. We made a lot of progress and fldigi was working in everyones's shack but I was plagued by the "Carnation bathtub" problem which limited our fun.

Anyway, let's do it. Let me know a time and who can open the zoom (or we can use the free 45 min. account) and we'll get it working.

As far as a presentation...   I'd like the tech or emcomm groups to determine the preferred way the club would use fldigi for communication. fldigi is a multi-tool and, like most multi-tools, its not useful unless you can apply it to a task. I can help with that as well and then we can present.

Also... a very very kind club member has let me borrow their 7300 so I will go get get that working with my fldigi this weekend and I can respond with the radio settings.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 01:34 PM, Rowland wrote:

> Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work
> with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success
> getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions
> but......

Paul Zoba

I’d be interested in learning it too. I also have a 7300. I can do it anytime other than Thursday evenings due to my CW classes.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 8:18 AM Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
That sounds great Ryan. I agree with same equipment usage during the session. We can use the snovarc or cdccc zoom session so e can go beyond the 45 min limit.
Next week is Christmas week so maybe better the week after.  I know Ralph and I are interested if you want to start with us or maybe one more. We both have 7300. Please clarify the repeater/simplex reference.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
I'd be happy to do this. I agree, a 1 on 1 or maybe just a couple people would be best. It can be finicky and radio dependent so, unless everyone has the exact same gear, it's best to troubleshoot one on one. When troubleshooting, unless we want to occupy a / the repeater, it's best to use simplex and then you run into a who-can-hear-who problem. A few of us tried some simplex troubleshooting a few weeks back and after two hours we were still troubleshooting parts of the set-up. We made a lot of progress and fldigi was working in everyones's shack but I was plagued by the "Carnation bathtub" problem which limited our fun.

Anyway, let's do it. Let me know a time and who can open the zoom (or we can use the free 45 min. account) and we'll get it working.

As far as a presentation...   I'd like the tech or emcomm groups to determine the preferred way the club would use fldigi for communication. fldigi is a multi-tool and, like most multi-tools, its not useful unless you can apply it to a task. I can help with that as well and then we can present.

Also... a very very kind club member has let me borrow their 7300 so I will go get get that working with my fldigi this weekend and I can respond with the radio settings.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 01:34 PM, Rowland wrote:

> Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work
> with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success
> getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions
> but......

Count me in too - I need to continue my fldigi education. After Christmas sounds good.

On Dec 19, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

That sounds great Ryan. I agree with same equipment usage during the session. We can use the snovarc or cdccc zoom session so e can go beyond the 45 min limit.
Next week is Christmas week so maybe better the week after.  I know Ralph and I are interested if you want to start with us or maybe one more. We both have 7300. Please clarify the repeater/simplex reference.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
I'd be happy to do this. I agree, a 1 on 1 or maybe just a couple people would be best. It can be finicky and radio dependent so, unless everyone has the exact same gear, it's best to troubleshoot one on one. When troubleshooting, unless we want to occupy a / the repeater, it's best to use simplex and then you run into a who-can-hear-who problem. A few of us tried some simplex troubleshooting a few weeks back and after two hours we were still troubleshooting parts of the set-up. We made a lot of progress and fldigi was working in everyones's shack but I was plagued by the "Carnation bathtub" problem which limited our fun.

Anyway, let's do it. Let me know a time and who can open the zoom (or we can use the free 45 min. account) and we'll get it working.

As far as a presentation...   I'd like the tech or emcomm groups to determine the preferred way the club would use fldigi for communication. fldigi is a multi-tool and, like most multi-tools, its not useful unless you can apply it to a task. I can help with that as well and then we can present.

Also... a very very kind club member has let me borrow their 7300 so I will go get get that working with my fldigi this weekend and I can respond with the radio settings.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 01:34 PM, Rowland wrote:

> Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work
> with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success
> getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions
> but......

Ryan

Look at your schedule for the next two weeks and let us know what will work for you

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM Paul Zoba <pezoba@...> wrote:
I’d be interested in learning it too. I also have a 7300. I can do it anytime other than Thursday evenings due to my CW classes.

On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 8:18 AM Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
That sounds great Ryan. I agree with same equipment usage during the session. We can use the snovarc or cdccc zoom session so e can go beyond the 45 min limit.
Next week is Christmas week so maybe better the week after.  I know Ralph and I are interested if you want to start with us or maybe one more. We both have 7300. Please clarify the repeater/simplex reference.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
I'd be happy to do this. I agree, a 1 on 1 or maybe just a couple people would be best. It can be finicky and radio dependent so, unless everyone has the exact same gear, it's best to troubleshoot one on one. When troubleshooting, unless we want to occupy a / the repeater, it's best to use simplex and then you run into a who-can-hear-who problem. A few of us tried some simplex troubleshooting a few weeks back and after two hours we were still troubleshooting parts of the set-up. We made a lot of progress and fldigi was working in everyones's shack but I was plagued by the "Carnation bathtub" problem which limited our fun.

Anyway, let's do it. Let me know a time and who can open the zoom (or we can use the free 45 min. account) and we'll get it working.

As far as a presentation...   I'd like the tech or emcomm groups to determine the preferred way the club would use fldigi for communication. fldigi is a multi-tool and, like most multi-tools, its not useful unless you can apply it to a task. I can help with that as well and then we can present.

Also... a very very kind club member has let me borrow their 7300 so I will go get get that working with my fldigi this weekend and I can respond with the radio settings.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 01:34 PM, Rowland wrote:

> Several of us would like to use fldigi but are having issues making it work
> with our 7300.  I have read several sites offering help but so far no success
> getting my 7300 to transmit.  It seems like it is receiving transmissions
> but......

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Good news / bad news but first..
Ignore my "repeater" comment. I'm too used to having an all-band radio.

The good news.. I have the 7300 working. Bad news is I had to run a partial reset to get it to behave. I'm not sure what had gotten set on it previously which was causing it issues but I'll investigate when I have more time. So, if you're willing to do a partial reset so you're starting from a known point here are the settings you should find...
Menu -> Set -> Connectors
7300 - Partial reset
ACC / USB Output select AF
ACC/USB AF Output Level
ACC/USB AF SQL OFF(Open)
ACC/USB AF Beep/Speech... Output Off
ACC/USB IF Output Level
ACC MOD Level
USB MOD Level
DATA OFF MOD MIC,ACC
Data MOD USB
CI-V
CI-V Baud 19200
CI-V Address 94h
CI-V Transceive ON
CI-V USB->REMOTE Transceive Address 00h
CI-V Output (for ant) Off
CI-V USB Port Link to [REMOTE]
USB Serial Function CI-V

Make sure you install the Icom driver if using Windows. I don't know what's needed on other platforms. Plug radio into PC.
Open Device Manager, you'll see "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COMX)
The "X" is a number. This is your com port number for the radio. Write this down. Close Device Manager

Open flrig
Config -> Setup -> Transceiver
Rig: IC-7300
Update: COMX
...now, if you had this com port in Device Manger it should be part of the dropdown list.
Baud: 19200
Check: 1 and Echo
Uncheck: 2-Stopbits and RTS/CTS
0x94 Default <- This is the default for the 9300 so leave it
Check: USB Audio
Retries: 2
Retry intvl: 50
Cmds: 5
Poll intvl: 200
Byte intvl: 0

Click "Init"
Your radio should do some stuff and then settle. The diamond next to Init will go green.
-Additional settings if your diamond didn't go green:
PTT
Check: PTT via CAT and DTR +12v

Poll -> Additional Controls
Put a "4" next to "Set All" and then click "Set All" which will populate everything under "Additional Controls" with "4"

Once your diamond, on the Xcvr menu, is green close flrig.

Start fldigi - I'm only going to explain rig control and audio for right now.
Configure -> Config dialog
Click the + next to Rig Control
Click flrig
Check "Enable flrig xcvr control with fldigi as client" and "Shutdown flrig with fldigi"

Now click the + next to Soundcard
Click Devices
Check "PortAudio"
Capture: Microphone (USB Audio CODEC)
Playback: Speakers (USB Audio CODEC)

Click Save and Close

The rest of the setup and troubleshooting and general operation probably worth doing in real time.

I was getting some very strange results before doing the reset. Everything from flrig just locking up to the radio locking intself in TX mode and then flrig throwing errors. I _highly_ recommend saving the config to SD card and starting from a partial reset. If that works then you know you have the software correct and the cabling correct. You can then restore radio config from SD and limit your troubleshooting to the radio itself.

When you change frequency on the radio it should be reflected in both flrig and fidigi.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I forgot to mention, the "levels" in the Connectors menu will need to be adjusted when we start testing. The defaults are usually "hot" and we'll adjust them down. But, these are dependent on your specific PC as they are the "volume" at which fldigi is hearing the radio (simple way to explain for now).

I start my CW training on the 11th so Mondays and Thursdays become a "no" for me at that time.
The evening of the 6th is a "no"
Otherwise I'm good. My family is participating in the social distancing this holiday season so I've even got time Christmas day, eve, new year's, etc. Any day works. However, I'm not retired yet so after 5:30pm please but I also don't sleep much so happy to run till midnight or later. Weekends, mornings and afternoon, are sometimes better for me as well. We can even do multiple sessions as others have time. Consider me the flexible one.