Elmer Sessions

Rowland

Hi All,

I have volunteered to coordinate the monthly Elmer sessions for the club.  What I need from you is ideas and suggestions on what you would like to see.  If any of you have direct contacts to presenters let me know so we can schedule them accordingly. Remember we are using Zoom so the presentation has to be tailored for that.

We want to do a mix of technical (for us radio geeks) and enjoyable ones like the DX Expeditions we have had in the past.

Lynn (N7CFO) has created a list of people that are willing to be Elmers. If we have a month without any suggestions I will use that list to fill the meeting for a particular month.

So put on your thinking caps and let me know your ideas.

K7RWB

Robin WA7CPA

I am a Ria Jairam,  N2RJ, fan. I have wished to have her as club meeting guest for a long time. With Zoom maybe it is now possible. We could invite her to speak about all kinds of things, such as ARRL state of things, SDR, setting up a world class station, Dxing, etc. Perhaps invite her to talk about her latest interest, historical figures in ham radio, or her surprise preference.. invite the speaker, and let her choose the topic. She also has a good YL friend with a very tricked out rolling radio station they go to Hamvention in.

Anyway, she is a top choice for me.

Another is my YL acquaintance Jeri Ellsworth. She is a Bay Area engineer/ company founder par excellence with a unique and fascinating background.  She was keynoting around in 2019 and I enjoyed hanging around her and engineer sidekick Amy Herndon at conventions, watching all the OM fan bees buzzing toward her everywhere she walked. You can Jeri and Amy featured in QST a few years ago.

Jeri and Ria both have extensive YouTube and podcasting you can look up.

Other than that, if you want super technical antenna talk, Kristen McIntyre is the one. She just replaced SK ARRL officer in Bay Area, but she is worth a try if you want any antenna question you could dream of answered with the math. She is a professor. I *think* she went to MIT and currently teaches at Stanford, but haven't looked her up in awhile.

These are great selections.  Other than January and February the rest of the meetings are open so far.  If you want to contact these folks and see what their schedules are like please do so and let me know.  The one thing I want to prevent is having technical elmers every month.  Sometimes we need to have fun ones also like the DXpedition presentations you have arranged before.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 5:26 PM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:
[...]

Rowland,
I wrote to Ria asking her about the March 4 meeting. Will wait a bit for a response before contacting Jeri.

73 and HNY
Robin, WA7CPA