ARRL news podcast

Hi all,

I have been messing around with my node after some discussions on IRLP groups.

I found a way to modify the custom environment to allow experimental nodes. You might ask , long story short the pob cast that is online can be accessed over the repeater with some changes in the IRLP node. The broadcast is about 10-15 minutes long and drops every 90 seconds to not lock up the repeater and can be stopped via DTMF #73 at any time.

The only other repeater that seems to do the information is in Vancouver WA.

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

Good afternoon,

I would like to discuss adding the ARRL news letter to the repeater once a week when others might be able to listen to it. Perhaps a friday afternoon around 6 or 7 PM with a 15 minute link up time as news is less than 15 minutes with breaks every 90 seconds so repeater does not time out.

This is possible on the node now as it can  link to experimental nodes due to mod in irlp/environment those that know the node it is clearly labeled in the file. I have already added a script that works also. The only thing needed is agreement if we want this and add cron to link and disconnect at agreed times.

Those that like we can have a linkup to listen to what this cast has for information and content.

All that is needed to disconnect is #73 DTMF to the repeater for priority use, but also see information on Groups on how to use IRLP and EchoLink on the repeater. Let me know if updates are needed to this and will do.

This is a link to the newsletter for more info and listen online.

Looking for feedback.

Ken W7ECK

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 7:54 PM Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have been messing around with my node after some discussions on IRLP groups.

I found a way to modify the custom environment to allow experimental nodes. You might ask , long story short the pob cast that is online can be accessed over the repeater with some changes in the IRLP node. The broadcast is about 10-15 minutes long and drops every 90 seconds to not lock up the repeater and can be stopped via DTMF #73 at any time.

The only other repeater that seems to do the information is in Vancouver WA.

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

Robin WA7CPA

Ken,
As I said Thursday evening during the net I think it is great you are taking this initiative offering to set it up. It could bring the repeater a bit more "fame" as well as being fun and educational. I like your Friday evening times lot suggestion.

73,
Robin WA7CPA

Kirt White / K7KDW

Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for looking into it Ken.

On Jan 21, 2022, at 6:15 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

Ralph Lease

Sounds good 👍

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022, 6:15 PM Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:
[...]

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

Rowland

Sounds good to me Ken!

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 6:15 PM Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:
[...]

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

I, too, welcome this addition. Nice idea

-Lou

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

[...]

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

I'm going to let the program run tonight just checking if everything is correct. 6:00 pm listen in.

Ken

On Jan 23, 2022, at 1:48 PM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via groups.io <louis.giliberto@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

Rowland

This is pretty cool....listening now.

On Jan 23, 2022, at 1:48 PM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via groups.io <louis.giliberto=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

From what I have tried on my node this is possible on the Cougar repeater with slight mod of Environment file and some cron changes for auto access we could have this come up perhaps in the afternoon after 2pm or latest 6 pm so some could get this information? I think this could gather some interest of what is going on in the ARRL news.

Thoughts or suggestions as this is club repeater and node. Times can also be multiple per day for more audience but not disturb nets.

Ken W7ECK

AS of now it is programmed to run on Sundays at 6:00 PM and Fridays at 7:00 PM.

Now that it works we can add and or change times if we desire based on interest.