Battery backup at Costco. Worth it?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Edited

I saw this at Costco. Any comments If this is worth it?

Jackson Beard

It seems reasonably priced for devices of its type.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 13:20 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I saw this at Costco. Any comments I’d this is worth it?

Bruce Gary

I'll preface this by saying "I don't know anything, and I can usually prove it"....

I looked at a variety of battery backup options a couple of months back.  Looked hard at the APC UPS (uninterruptible power supply) devices, which come in a variety of va ratings.

At the end of the day, what I decided was that if I wanted to run a radio off D/C, it didn't make sense to have an A/C backup system.

What I ended up getting was one of these:

It's a battery box with automated charging and switch-over, with a rig-runner power distribution panel added in.

So... now my power-supply feeds this thing, which charges the battery when needed and feeds a constant 13.8V to the radio.  If house-power fails, it automatically switches over to feed power from the battery to the radio.  And when house power comes back on, it recharges the battery.

All up, it cost me a little less than the Costco thing - I think the box from West Mountain cost $270, and a deep-cycle group-24 80-ah AGM (sealed) battery from the local marine hardware store cost about $180.  there's even a voltmeter/ammeter on the front so I can keep track of power draw and battery state.

As a bonus, I now have a complete ready-to-throw-in-the-truck portable power setup, if/when I want to operate mobile (like POTA or something)

$.02
Bruce / K7BGG

I saw this at Costco. Any comments I’d this is worth it?

Paul Zoba

Yes, that’s a pretty good price. If you compare it to the Goal Zero devices available on Amazon. The Goal Zero 1500X is a lithium battery (better and lighter than SLA) and their inverter is 2,000 watts instead of 1440 watts but the GZ is also quadruple the price.

On Jun 8, 2021, at 1:20 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I saw this at Costco. Any comments I’d this is worth it?

<A07BB6EE-E6BC-4454-95A6-A64B5F5CF8BC.jpeg>
<E8F1E215-2729-4E0C-9E7E-A8D63D83FD7C.jpeg>

Gerard Repko

Personally I would go for something that can be recharged with alternatives to AC. eg. solar, 12 volt car etc.

Jackson Beard

You can charge that device with any 12 volt input to the PowerPole connector.