Topics

Best software to find bearing

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

I'm setting up a small 440mhz 7 element yagi and would like to find the compass bearings to several "targets". I don't see a bearing on google maps. What do folks recommend?

Thanks and have a happy safe 4th!

73,

Howard

Kirt White / K7KDW

The web version doesn’t have it but if you download the Google earth app it includes a ruler tool that will give you a bearing. I thought I once did this with Gaia GPS but I couldn’t find it there last time I looked.

Kirt

On Jul 3, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I'm setting up a small 440mhz 7 element yagi and would like to find the compass bearings to several "targets". I don't see a bearing on google maps. What do folks recommend?

Thanks and have a happy safe 4th!

73,

Howard

I grit my teeth and use Google Earth Pro.

I make it a bearing of 204 degrees and a distance of about 14.8 miles.  That’s to a point just a bit east of Duvall, I’m not real clear on exactly where Howard’s house is.

But that bearing ought to be plenty good enough for aiming a Yagi.

On Jul 3, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I'm setting up a small 440mhz 7 element yagi and would like to find the compass bearings to several "targets". I don't see a bearing on google maps. What do folks recommend?

Thanks and have a happy safe 4th!

73,

Howard

Thanks Paul and Kirt-

What Are the coordinates of the cougar mountain repeater? I was thinking it was nearly due south of Duvall but I’m not sure

Excuse my typos - sent via my thumbs or by voice from a mobile device

On Jul 3, 2020, at 4:53 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

I grit my teeth and use Google Earth Pro.

I make it a bearing of 204 degrees and a distance of about 14.8 miles.  That’s to a point just a bit east of Duvall, I’m not real clear on exactly where Howard’s house is.

But that bearing ought to be plenty good enough for aiming a Yagi.

On Jul 3, 2020, at 3:15 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I'm setting up a small 440mhz 7 element yagi and would like to find the compass bearings to several "targets". I don't see a bearing on google maps. What do folks recommend?

Thanks and have a happy safe 4th!

73,

Howard

 47-32-39.0N
122-06-30.0W

RX @ ~300' and TX @ ~100’ AGL

On Jul 3, 2020, at 5:17 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

[...]

Cougar Mt Antennas with Goggle Earth
image.png

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 5:17 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
[...]

Perfect. Thanks all. Paul you were very close - 206*

Dale Smith

I find this site interesting.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/distance-and-azimuths

Regards,

Dale Smith

425-686-9304

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/dalegsmith

KJ7GHU

Reclaim your life and delete FaceBook!

I'm setting up a small 440mhz 7 element yagi and would like to find the compass bearings to several "targets". I don't see a bearing on google maps. What do folks recommend?

Thanks and have a happy safe 4th!

73,

Howard

Thanks, Dale. That's a great site.