Topics

Can I use a duplexer / triplexer in reverse with 2 rigs and 1 antenna

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Hey Snovarcians,

I have a triband antenna that I'd like to share between two radios: 1) a UHF/VHF and 2) 220Mhz.  Rather than use a switch - which would only allow me to send/receive on one rig at a time. I was wondering if I could use a triplexer to direct the 220mhz to one rig (obviously the 220) and the 2m.70cm to the other rig so I can keep both rigs listening and transmit on either one. I know this will work for receive only but will I blow up a rig when the other is transmitting or will the triplexer keep the output separated? Has anyone done htis?

Should be fine. I did it in the past with another radio setup.

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 9:35 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Hey Snovarcians,

I have a triband antenna that I'd like to share between two radios: 1) a UHF/VHF and 2) 220Mhz.  Rather than use a switch - which would only allow me to send/receive on one rig at a time. I was wondering if I could use a triplexer to direct the 220mhz to one rig (obviously the 220) and the 2m.70cm to the other rig so I can keep both rigs listening and transmit on either one. I know this will work for receive only but will I blow up a rig when the other is transmitting or will the triplexer keep the output separated? Has anyone done htis?

Yep, that’ll work.  I do this (admittedly with three radios) in my shack to route signals to/from the CX-333.

On Nov 14, 2020, at 9:35 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Hey Snovarcians,

I have a triband antenna that I'd like to share between two radios: 1) a UHF/VHF and 2) 220Mhz.  Rather than use a switch - which would only allow me to send/receive on one rig at a time. I was wondering if I could use a triplexer to direct the 220mhz to one rig (obviously the 220) and the 2m.70cm to the other rig so I can keep both rigs listening and transmit on either one. I know this will work for receive only but will I blow up a rig when the other is transmitting or will the triplexer keep the output separated? Has anyone done htis?

Perfect. Thanks for verifying that I wont blow anything up on TX 😊

Paul – that’s exactly what I’m trying to do – share my CX 333 antenna with my TYT 220 and my 9700.

Yep, that’ll work.  I do this (admittedly with three radios) in my shack to route signals to/from the CX-333.

On Nov 14, 2020, at 9:35 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Hey Snovarcians,

I have a triband antenna that I'd like to share between two radios: 1) a UHF/VHF and 2) 220Mhz.  Rather than use a switch - which would only allow me to send/receive on one rig at a time. I was wondering if I could use a triplexer to direct the 220mhz to one rig (obviously the 220) and the 2m.70cm to the other rig so I can keep both rigs listening and transmit on either one. I know this will work for receive only but will I blow up a rig when the other is transmitting or will the triplexer keep the output separated? Has anyone done htis?

Image removed by sender.

Bob Decker

Be careful of transmitting with power, check loss of dB between ports of two rigs.
If transmitting with hand held no problem,, but if 50 watts out from either rig
then could have 12 watt into the other rig depending upon antenna

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I am confused.

Comet list the triplexer in the photo as having at least 40db isolation between ports.  3db is a factor of two, 10db is a factor of ten, 40db is a factor of 10,000.

So I am thinking if you run 50w into the 2m port, the most that can appear at the 1.25m port or the 70cm port would be 50w/10000 = 5mw.

If I’m wrong I sure want to know, as I have three radios hooked to exactly this triplexer all routed to a Comet CX-333.  I would prefer not to blow up a radio.

On Nov 16, 2020, at 10:55 AM, Bob Decker via groups.io <k7bd@...> wrote:

Be careful of transmitting with power, check loss of dB between ports of two rigs.
If transmitting with hand held no problem,, but if 50 watts out from either rig
then could have 12 watt into the other rig depending upon antenna

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

This is a blurb from the product listing on  DXEngineering page for the Diamond Triplexer (same specs as the Comet) - "Diamond Antenna Triplexers are used to split or combine HF, VHF, and UHF signals. These triplexers may be used for combining three transceivers or transceiver connectors with different band ranges onto one coax feed line."