Computer Noise

Rowland

Here is a good challenge.  During Field Day I was using my HP laptop on batteries.  When it started showing a low battery I plugged it in to charge.  That is when a good amount of RF noise started to the point that I could no longer hear some of the stations.  Any ideas on how I could remove or at least lessen this noise issue?  Now realize the HP power supply was plugged into an BlueTTI power station since I did not have power available.

Thoughts?

Robin WA7CPA

I use a SideKar logger and small Bluetooth keyboard, no computer needed when portable.. Made for the kx3 but I think it is now or will have capabilities with other radios.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 6:13 PM Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
Here is a good challenge.  During Field Day I was using my HP laptop on batteries.  When it started showing a low battery I plugged it in to charge.  That is when a good amount of RF noise started to the point that I could no longer hear some of the stations.  Any ideas on how I could remove or at least lessen this noise issue?  Now realize the HP power supply was plugged into an BlueTTI power station since I did not have power available.

Thoughts?

Have you put ferrite rings/toroids on your power cord and all USB cables?

On Jun 29, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Robin WA7CPA <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

I use a SideKar logger and small Bluetooth keyboard, no computer needed when portable.. Made for the kx3 but I think it is now or will have capabilities with other radios.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 6:13 PM Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
Here is a good challenge.  During Field Day I was using my HP laptop on batteries.  When it started showing a low battery I plugged it in to charge.  That is when a good amount of RF noise started to the point that I could no longer hear some of the stations.  Any ideas on how I could remove or at least lessen this noise issue?  Now realize the HP power supply was plugged into an BlueTTI power station since I did not have power available.

Thoughts?

Jackson Beard

Ferrite may or may not help. Wall warts and tablet supplies can be notoriously noisy as they get older.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 20:16 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Have you put ferrite rings/toroids on your power cord and all USB cables?

On Jun 29, 2021, at 7:03 PM, Robin WA7CPA <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

I use a SideKar logger and small Bluetooth keyboard, no computer needed when portable.. Made for the kx3 but I think it is now or will have capabilities with other radios.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021, 6:13 PM Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
Here is a good challenge.  During Field Day I was using my HP laptop on batteries.  When it started showing a low battery I plugged it in to charge.  That is when a good amount of RF noise started to the point that I could no longer hear some of the stations.  Any ideas on how I could remove or at least lessen this noise issue?  Now realize the HP power supply was plugged into an BlueTTI power station since I did not have power available.

Thoughts?

I have not but will give it a try.