Topics

Cougar Repeater Receive

W7ABD

Re-posting Ken's message on snovarc, as I don't have write permissions to KE7GFZ on groups.io...

The DVR Readback test is called by DTMF: 123

I checked cougar repeater receive via the DVR readback at 2, 30 & 50 watts from my base station at the home QTH - Was able to copy all three transmissions, although as expected the signal had more noise on it a 2 watts.

Was not able to copy cougar repeater (via DVR) from my HT at 5 watts, outdoors at my location.  But that has always been the case here.

My home QTH is 7 miles East of Downtown Duvall at an elevation of 550 feet.  My Base Antenna height is 30 feet.

Base Antenna is a Hustler G6-270 Dual Band 5/8 Wave, 8 foot vertical

Jim
W7ABD

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 8:53 AM Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:
Good morning,
Recently I have noticed stations that are full quiet into the repeater become very scratchy or unreadable. The more I listen the more I feel this is not just condition of the transmit stations but the repeater receive. At least 6 or more have been having this issue from various parts of Puget Sound area, south, north and east. I will try some tests this afternoon from my QTH but if anyone else has a chance please use the voice playback on the controller to get an idea how you are hitting the repeater at various transmit power settings.

Ken W7ECK

Rowland

I just did a recording test on the repeater at 50 watts and what I heard had lots of white noise.  I am at 550' and should sound much better.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:01 AM W7ABD <w7abd1@...> wrote:
[...]

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Newbie needs help... Can you explain the process? I have sent the DTMF code 123 on key-up. Do I unkey, wait, and then key-up and test?

1. Ensure you have your radio configured to send DTMF
2. tune radio to the SNOVARC repeater in question
3.  Hold down the PTT and dial 123 on the keypad
4.  Release PTT.  The repeater should respond with voice saying “ready”
5.  Hit PTT, talk into mike.
6.  Release PTT.  Repeater should play back a recording of what you transmitted in (5)

On Jun 19, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Newbie needs help... Can you explain the process? I have sent the DTMF code 123 on key-up. Do I unkey, wait, and then key-up and test?

Announce on air that you are going to do a test.  Say your call sign then say testing, then while the mic is keyed push 123 then release PTT.  The repeater will say "ready".  You then push PTT and say whatever you want to test.  Release PTT and your recording should be played back quickly.  When that is done announce on repeater that WA1HEM is finished testing.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Newbie needs help... Can you explain the process? I have sent the DTMF code 123 on key-up. Do I unkey, wait, and then key-up and test?

I have my Yeasu programmed with "123" DTMF - when I key-up I hear it being sent but I don't get a "ready" from the repeater. I must be doing something wrong or its being transmitted too fast for the repeater.  I did get it to work several months ago the same way when Kirt and I were testing mic gains. Dont know what it wont work now... Scratching my head.

Ralph Lease

Howard:
I have found it sometimes does not work for me as well.  I think it's due to low signal level into the repeater.

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020, 12:36 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
I have my Yeasu programmed with "123" DTMF - when I key-up I hear it being sent but I don't get a "ready" from the repeater. I must be doing something wrong or its being transmitted too fast for the repeater.  I did get it to work several months ago the same way when Kirt and I were testing mic gains. Dont know what it wont work now... Scratching my head.

Just do it manually.  Less to worry about

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 12:36 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
I have my Yeasu programmed with "123" DTMF - when I key-up I hear it being sent but I don't get a "ready" from the repeater. I must be doing something wrong or its being transmitted too fast for the repeater.  I did get it to work several months ago the same way when Kirt and I were testing mic gains. Dont know what it wont work now... Scratching my head.

Finally got the repeater to accept my DTMF today although I did nothing new.. must be my signal stregnth.

Recorded a pretty scratchy signal:  3 5.  Running 50watts using Yaesu FTM 400dxr via a Jpole from 2nd story-  QTH  is at an elevation of 500ft.