Topics

Digital nets

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Given the recent interest in fldigi I thought I’d pass these on.  These are HF nets, all of them pretty easy to hear/check in on 80m. All three use the fldigi/flmsg/flwrap/flamp suite.

Monday night 1845: Humboldt ARC HF Digital Emergency Net 3.581MHz+1500/MFSK32, Net Control is KE6SLS (
Tuesday night 1930: ORCA Digital Net 3.581MHz +1500/MFSK32, Net Control is Doug K7KY and Mindy W7ZAP (orcadigitalnet.com)
Thursday night 1930: Western Digital Net 3.581 + 1500 / MFS32

All three nets welcome newcomers, newcomers are encouraged to check in as ‘monitoring’ aka QNX. (http://westerndigitalnet.org)

All three use the fldigi/flmsg/flwrap/flamp suite.

The ORCA digital net web site has a fair bit of info to make it easy for newbies.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Thanks Paul. I'll be listening to the Orca net tonight to identify if I can hear anyone and get an idea of how they run the net. Seems fairly straightforward.

I could share my screen if someone wants to watch but isn't set-up. This can be done via Zoom or the Discord channel. I'd be interested to see what someone, in a more normal elevation, is able to hear compared to my location. I'll be operating the 7300 from an end-fed which I have hung in my attic (thanks for letting me borrow the gear fellow SnoVARC member).

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I checked in to the Humboldt ARC digital net last night. The NCS station is based in Eureka, CA and I was picking him up passably well. There were other stations I could not copy.

The ORCA net draws a wider set of checkins from all over, as far east as the Mississippi. NCS is in Brookings, OR and I’ve checked in several times directly, once via a relay by W7ZAP (curiously also in Brookings), and had band condx so bad I couldn’t get in once.

You will want flwrap set up and running for ORCA and WDN, as they will use it consistently, and you’ll get to see stations calling for fills on stuff they missed, which is good practice.

Eureka is a little under 500 miles. Brookings is 400. That puts them outside NVIS range despite what I told you earlier. Still in decent condx I’ve had little trouble even with my OCFD that’s only 30-35 ft up. So it will be very interesting to see how things go for you tonite.

I will try to participate tonite as well.

Again I encourage folks to check the digital nets on 80m out. Even if you’re not running fldigi, if the software you are running can do MFSK32 you can follow along and get an idea of how they’re running the net.