Topics

DMR Codeplugs... who wants a process?

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I dropped the ball on this as I said I'd do it and then just didn't get around to it. I don't have a "conventional" way of creating a codeplug for my radio. What I do is I take all the PNWDigital repeaters, talkgroups, etc. and I export them as text files. I then shift their slot locations and shove the SnoVARC recommended repeater list to the top into an "Home" group. Then I import the text files into radio programming software.

This has a couple advantages over the "conventional" way of doing things.
1) Import does not touch the "user" specific config of the radio. In DMR there is the concept of a radio ID and if you simply pass codeplugs around this area of the radio has to be reconfigured every time you open someone else's codeplug.
2) Because I'm importing / exporting text files (really CSV) you can easily manipulate the files and identify what's in the "config" before having to deal with the software (the radio software is a bit of a PITA). Codeplugs are not human readable.
3) If you have any background with basic scripting and file manipulation its easy to inject / remove areas of the config automagically to suite your individual needs.
4) probably some other advantages I'm forgetting.

OK, so... why are you reading this / why am I writing this...
I recently got a brand new AnyTone 878 which is sort of the preferred / standard radio for DMR. I've not had a chance to program it yet so I'm starting from zero. Additionally, I realized my Baofeng 6x2 radio is about a year old in its firmware and requires an update (which wipes out the programming). This means I've got two radios, similar but different, that need complete DMR codeplug builds.

I will document the steps I take for each of these and share with the group. I'll also share the importable files I generate if you want to follow along for your own DMR radio. I could also, possibly, hold a session to help others if they want to follow the same procedure.

Anything you'd like to see specifically covered in the documentation? I've been doing the DMR "thing" since I started my journey a year+ ago and that puts me at a disadvantage for remembering some of the things I wish I knew back then. If you have questions or want me to document something specific please reach out and I'll certainly include it.

Robin Amundson

Following, Ryan. Which DMR repeater are you using?

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 12:26 PM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
[...]

I have consistently decent reception from Cougar Mtn. I can also reach East Tiger. I will test Rattlesnake Ridge this weekend but I've not had much luck in that direction from my house.
http://www.pnwdigital.net/repeaters.html