Topics

External Antenna box connection question

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

I just had 4 coax lines installed for my external antennas that are now coiled up in a waterproof box outside (see pic). What do folks recommend for making the connections to the antennas, especially if I want to disconnect/connect easily? I was thinking of installing so 239 connectors to the box cover (similar to the second pic) and connecting the antenna lines to those and then weatherproofing the connections. What do others suggest? Is there a best practice?

dual feed line, relay box, rf relay box, twopak, two pak, two pack ...

Jackson Beard

My connections are inside the box out of the weather.  It's not super fast, but they're dry.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 12:41 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
I just had 4 coax lines installed for my external antennas that are now coiled up in a waterproof box outside (see pic). What do folks recommend for making the connections to the antennas, especially if I want to disconnect/connect easily? I was thinking of installing so 239 connectors to the box cover (similar to the second pic) and connecting the antenna lines to those and then weatherproofing the connections. What do others suggest? Is there a best practice?

dual feed line, relay box, rf relay box, twopak, two pak, two pack ...

W7ABD

I have to agree with Jackson here...

PL259, SO259 Connectors are not water proof.  Not without sealing them up good.  Which would defeat the whole quick-change concept.

It if was me, I would run the coax feedlines through the wall to the inside.  Then you could install a patch panel inside out of the weather.

Jim
W7ABD

On 8/21/20 12:43, Jackson Beard wrote:
My connections are inside the box out of the weather.  It's not super fast, but they're dry.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 12:41 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
I just had 4 coax lines installed for my external antennas that are now coiled up in a waterproof box outside (see pic). What do folks recommend for making the connections to the antennas, especially if I want to disconnect/connect easily? I was thinking of installing so 239 connectors to the box cover (similar to the second pic) and connecting the antenna lines to those and then weatherproofing the connections. What do others suggest? Is there a best practice?

dual feed line, relay box, rf relay box, twopak, two
              pak, two pack ...

Ralph Lease

I would use bulkhead connectors or panel mount connectors. Location should primary be on the bottom due to avoid water ingress. Secondary on the side of the junction box. Leave the j-box cover alone as it's for access only. Gaskets should be used as well.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 12:41 PM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
I just had 4 coax lines installed for my external antennas that are now coiled up in a waterproof box outside (see pic). What do folks recommend for making the connections to the antennas, especially if I want to disconnect/connect easily? I was thinking of installing so 239 connectors to the box cover (similar to the second pic) and connecting the antenna lines to those and then weatherproofing the connections. What do others suggest? Is there a best practice?

dual feed line, relay box, rf relay box, twopak, two pak, two pack ...

Jim, unfortunately, an indoor patch panel problematic since these cables are running from the shack to the box under the house -

I think I'll drill a hole in the bottom to run the antenna feed lines into the box and then add the connectors inside the box - similar to what Jackson is suggesting. What do I use to in the whole I drill? A rubber grommet?

Jackson Beard

A grommet or silicone caulk.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 13:00 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Jim, unfortunately, an indoor patch panel problematic since these cables are running from the shack to the box under the house -

I think I'll drill a hole in the bottom to run the antenna feed lines into the box and then add the connectors inside the box - similar to what Jackson is suggesting. What do I use to in the whole I drill? A rubber grommet?

I am late to the party but I would go with all the connectors in the box (if there’s room) weathersealed, and grommets in the holes that lead outside the box.