fldigi Zoom Class

Rowland

Looks like the best night for a Zoom fldigi class would be Tuesday or Wednesday evening.  I would like to suggest January 5th at 7PM. This first class would be based on the Icom 7300 HF radio.

As requested by the elmer(s) we will need to limit the size of the class for better exchange of information. I will let the people teaching this class let me know what that limit will be.  If there are more people interested and they do not make the first cut or have a different radio I am sure another class can be scheduled accordingly.

If you are interested to be part of this IC-7300 class let me know as soon as you can.

Paul Zoba

Yes, please

On Dec 21, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Looks like the best night for a Zoom fldigi class would be Tuesday or Wednesday evening.  I would like to suggest January 5th at 7PM. This first class would be based on the Icom 7300 HF radio.

As requested by the elmer(s) we will need to limit the size of the class for better exchange of information. I will let the people teaching this class let me know what that limit will be.  If there are more people interested and they do not make the first cut or have a different radio I am sure another class can be scheduled accordingly.

If you are interested to be part of this IC-7300 class let me know as soon as you can.

I would like to attend please

Howard
WA1HEM

On Dec 21, 2020, at 12:35 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

Looks like the best night for a Zoom fldigi class would be Tuesday or Wednesday evening.  I would like to suggest January 5th at 7PM. This first class would be based on the Icom 7300 HF radio.

As requested by the elmer(s) we will need to limit the size of the class for better exchange of information. I will let the people teaching this class let me know what that limit will be.  If there are more people interested and they do not make the first cut or have a different radio I am sure another class can be scheduled accordingly.

If you are interested to be part of this IC-7300 class let me know as soon as you can.

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************

Ralph Lease

I would like to attend.  But if there are too many, I would be willing to wait.  Can someone post the best link to download the software from?

Merry Christmas!
Ralph

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020, 12:36 PM Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:
Looks like the best night for a Zoom fldigi class would be Tuesday or Wednesday evening.  I would like to suggest January 5th at 7PM. This first class would be based on the Icom 7300 HF radio.

As requested by the elmer(s) we will need to limit the size of the class for better exchange of information. I will let the people teaching this class let me know what that limit will be.  If there are more people interested and they do not make the first cut or have a different radio I am sure another class can be scheduled accordingly.

If you are interested to be part of this IC-7300 class let me know as soon as you can.

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Class might be a strong word ;)
Troubleshooting for sure. Please have the following software downloaded and installed:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/

fldigi - Required. This is the "heart" of what we'll be doing.
flrig - Partially required. You need rig control. fldigi supports a couple different rig control packages. We will only be troubleshooting flrig. If you use something else (like rigcat) you'd be on your own. More details: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/rig_config_page.html
flmsg - Required. We'll be focused on using this package and its templates for sending messages.
flamp - Good idea. We'll dive into what this is, and why it's different than films, if we have time and, if we have time, we'll use it to send files.
flwrap - Required. We'll talk about what this does.

The rest you may want to review as there are some good stuff in there (like flnet and fllog) but we won't be using those.

User manual: http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/index.html

Rowland

What do you want to limit the fldigi meeting too?

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 3:26 PM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
[...]

If you get rig control working please join us as that's half the battle. Better if you can verify control of PTT as well. If you need help with rig control let's limit it to 4 as we'll spend most of the time troubleshooting that. The other option is the use of breakout rooms. If Paul and Howard and others, that have rig control working already, can help 1-on-1 we can use the breakout room feature and work 1-on-1 while others work on verifying tx / rx.

Paul Zoba

I use Ham Radio Deluxe for rig control. Is that going to be a problem?

On Dec 21, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@reign.net> wrote:

[...]

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

From what I understand, you can’t use HRD to do rig control for fldigi. Sorry.

I’ve been using fldigi for years without using flrig, just using either the built-in rigcat support or the built-in hamlib support.

When I got my IC-7300 I had hamlib rig control working in fldigi in about two minutes. Very straightforward.

This afternoon after Ryan touted the benefits of flrig I went out and configured flrig to control my IC-7300 and fldigi to use flrig. Flrig configuration consisted of picking “IC-7300” from the rig list, picking the right serial port, and hitting the ‘initialize’ button. Worked first time. Configuring fldigi to work with flrig instead of the hamlib I was using consisted of checking a check box in a config dialog. I had the whole shebang working in, no joking, about 3 minutes, and I’d never looked at it before.

The rig control offered by flrig is surprisingly comprehensive, I was impressed. I’m still not sure why I’d use the controls on flrig rather than just turning the knob on the radio, but the whole thing does seem to work fine and it’s very useful to have fldigi able to control the rig.

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 07:33 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:

I’m still not sure why I’d use the controls on flrig rather than just
turning the knob on the radio
I turn the knob on the radio, or more accurately, I use a memory location because most of the digital I do is off a repeater. That doesn't mean you can forgo rig control. I've had very little luck in getting fldigi to work reliably if it doesn't know what frequency the radio is at. Maybe that's just me but, in my experience, fldigi needs to know where the radio is tuned and that comes from rig control. There are some aspects of fldigi that will tune the radio as well. I have not used it that way though. Rig control is needed even if only to allow fldigi to read the radio frequency.

And, like Paul, I had it working in 3 minutes after I reset the IC-7300 per the instructions in the other thread. Before then it was almost of hour of odd behavior. When it works its 3 minutes. When it doesn't it can be very frustrating (and, probably, worth a reset). Thanks for checking that out Paul. It's helpful to know it "should" work "out of the box".