Topics

G5RV Replacement

Ken Koch WA7KK

I've had a G5RV up for less than 18 months.  In the winds last night the wires basically pulled apart at the one end where the wire and rope meet.  I think that there was a loop there, but I don't recall.  I had it mounted with good pulleys on both ends that were moving freely so there shouldn't have been too much strain on it.  Basically the wire unraveled.

Now I need to decide if I want to replace it with a G5RV (and hope that it lasts longer), or go with something else.  The space between the trees was just about perfect for the G5RV so I want to stat within the same general ballpark in terms of length.   Since putting the wire back up the tree is a pain, This is not something I want to do every year or so.

Any suggestions?

W7ABD

I have had real good luck with the Buckmaster OCF Dipole.  It's a multi-band OCF Dipole.  Comes in various lengths for 20, 40, 80 and 160 meters.  Also comes in two flavours - 300 watts and 3000 watts.

I think you will find the buckmaster's far exceed the quality of the typical G5RV.

Jim
W7ABD

On 1/7/20 12:30, Ken Koch WA7KK wrote:
I've had a G5RV up for less than 18 months.  In the winds last night the wires basically pulled apart at the one end where the wire and rope meet.  I think that there was a loop there, but I don't recall.  I had it mounted with good pulleys on both ends that were moving freely so there shouldn't have been too much strain on it.  Basically the wire unraveled.

Now I need to decide if I want to replace it with a G5RV (and hope that it lasts longer), or go with something else.  The space between the trees was just about perfect for the G5RV so I want to stat within the same general ballpark in terms of length.   Since putting the wire back up the tree is a pain, This is not something I want to do every year or so.

Any suggestions?

Dan Pflugrath

I have an optimized G5RV that I cannot use due to the HOA where I now live. It was up two years in carnation but is in good condition. More details of you are interested Dan. KA7GPP.

---------- Original Message ----------
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] G5RV Replacement
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 12:30:56 -0800

I've had a G5RV up for less than 18 months. In the winds last night the wires basically pulled apart at the one end where the wire and rope meet. I think that there was a loop there, but I don't recall. I had it mounted with good pulleys on both ends that were moving freely so there shouldn't have been too much strain on it. Basically the wire unraveled.Now I need to decide if I want to replace it with a G5RV (and hope that it lasts longer), or go with something else. The space between the trees was just about perfect for the G5RV so I want to stat within the same general ballpark in terms of length. Since putting the wire back up the tree is a pain, This is not something I want to do every year or so.Any suggestions?

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

I like these EFHW antennas

https://myantennas.com/

Built like tanks and no tuner required for normal bands. WARC bands with tuner, but a built in rig tuner can cover it because the swr isn't crazy.

I use them on 75 and 160. For 160 I run it as an inverted L

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

-------- Original Message --------
On Jan 7, 2020, 12:54 PM, W7ABD < w7abd1@...> wrote:

I have had real good luck with the Buckmaster OCF Dipole.  It's a multi-band OCF Dipole.  Comes in various lengths for 20, 40, 80 and 160 meters.  Also comes in two flavours - 300 watts and 3000 watts.

I think you will find the buckmaster's far exceed the quality of the typical G5RV.

Jim
W7ABD

On 1/7/20 12:30, Ken Koch WA7KK wrote:

Any suggestions?

Ralph Lease

The Buckmaster OCF dipole is 135 ft long but requires a messenger cable for support.  It allows hanging with some "slack" to allow for wind and removing a lot of stress from the wire. It covers 80/75, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6.

Cheers 
Ralph 
KC7QXD 

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 12:30 PM Ken Koch WA7KK <groups@...> wrote:

Any suggestions?

Gerard Repko

I’m gonna have to get my butt on the radio to see if my Buckmaster is still working

Gerard

KG7REV

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, January 7, 2020 2:04 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] G5RV Replacement

The Buckmaster OCF dipole is 135 ft long but requires a messenger cable for support.  It allows hanging with some "slack" to allow for wind and removing a lot of stress from the wire. It covers 80/75, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10 and 6.

Cheers 

Ralph 

KC7QXD 

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020, 12:30 PM Ken Koch WA7KK <groups@...> wrote:

Any suggestions?

Ken Koch WA7KK

It turns out I spent the $6 (or so) on the Square Trade warranty on the G5RV.  I don't normally do that (and I forgot about it), but in this case I guess it was a reasonable idea.  Anyway, I think they will replace the G5RV.  I suppose it is worth giving it one more try since it worked reasonably well for me.  I am also a little limited in the space between the tress, so I don't think I have 135 feet.