Topics

G5RV Replacement

Ken Koch WA7KK

I've had a G5RV up for less than 18 months.  In the winds last night the wires basically pulled apart at the one end where the wire and rope meet.  I think that there was a loop there, but I don't recall.  I had it mounted with good pulleys on both ends that were moving freely so there shouldn't have been too much strain on it.  Basically the wire unraveled.

Now I need to decide if I want to replace it with a G5RV (and hope that it lasts longer), or go with something else.  The space between the trees was just about perfect for the G5RV so I want to stat within the same general ballpark in terms of length.   Since putting the wire back up the tree is a pain, This is not something I want to do every year or so.

Any suggestions?

W7ABD

I have had real good luck with the Buckmaster OCF Dipole.  It's a multi-band OCF Dipole.  Comes in various lengths for 20, 40, 80 and 160 meters.  Also comes in two flavours - 300 watts and 3000 watts.

I think you will find the buckmaster's far exceed the quality of the typical G5RV.

Jim
W7ABD

On 1/7/20 12:30, Ken Koch WA7KK wrote:
I've had a G5RV up for less than 18 months.  In the winds last night the wires basically pulled apart at the one end where the wire and rope meet.  I think that there was a loop there, but I don't recall.  I had it mounted with good pulleys on both ends that were moving freely so there shouldn't have been too much strain on it.  Basically the wire unraveled.

Now I need to decide if I want to replace it with a G5RV (and hope that it lasts longer), or go with something else.  The space between the trees was just about perfect for the G5RV so I want to stat within the same general ballpark in terms of length.   Since putting the wire back up the tree is a pain, This is not something I want to do every year or so.

Any suggestions?

Dan Pflugrath

I have an optimized G5RV that I cannot use due to the HOA where I now live. It was up two years in carnation but is in good condition. More details of you are interested Dan. KA7GPP.