Topics

gutter antenna

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Recently I speculated (while discussing antenna possibilities with Ryan KI7GIE and Howard WA1HEM) that a remote tuner would make short work of turning a metal gutter system into a usable/useful antenna.  The motivation was to get a usable HF antenna in the face of HOA restrictions.

Interesting thread on success at doing this on Reddit:

It's like Lynn has said in the past you can tune just about anything to show the radio a 50 ohm load but the performance and output will suffer in the long run.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:37 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io <w7pfb=butzi.net@groups.io> wrote:
Recently I speculated (while discussing antenna possibilities with Ryan KI7GIE and Howard WA1HEM) that a remote tuner would make short work of turning a metal gutter system into a usable/useful antenna.  The motivation was to get a usable HF antenna in the face of HOA restrictions.

Interesting thread on success at doing this on Reddit:

The gutter antenna does not have to outperform a 5 element yagi at 200 feet.  It just has to outperform no antenna at all to be an interesting antenna to folks who are looking at how to get an antenna past HOA restrictions..

So I’m curious, Rowland.  What antenna do you recommend in the situation where HOA restrictions prevent stringing up a ‘better’ antenna?

On Jan 13, 2021, at 12:50 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

It's like Lynn has said in the past you can tune just about anything to show the radio a 50 ohm load but the performance and output will suffer in the long run.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 11:37 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io <w7pfb=butzi.net@groups.io> wrote:
Recently I speculated (while discussing antenna possibilities with Ryan KI7GIE and Howard WA1HEM) that a remote tuner would make short work of turning a metal gutter system into a usable/useful antenna.  The motivation was to get a usable HF antenna in the face of HOA restrictions.

Interesting thread on success at doing this on Reddit:

Robin WA7CPA

How about a mag loop?

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 1:46 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io <w7pfb=butzi.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

No argument here on the gutter.  You do what you have to to get out.

[...]

Dan Pflugrath

The three best STEALTH alternatives for HOA antennas are;

#1 use your attic.  A dipole, a trapped dipole, a fan dipole,  a long wire with a 9:1 transformer with a tuner or a resonate End Fed Half Wave with a 49:1 transformer in your attic will be better than something that puts the wire against a structure.

#2 If at all possible stretch a long wire or resonant half wave wire to a tree, another structure or pole, something away from your structure will be better than #1.  I use 66 feet of 26 gage wire with a 49:1 transformer ,EFHW, which is very difficult to see.

#3 If you have at least a small yard most HOA's allow flag poles.  The 4BTV Hustler vertical can be encased in 1 1/2 inch thin walled PVC pipe to make a flag pole and have shown to be successful.  The Hustler vertical has been designed so that it can work reasonably well without ground radials.  The ground is the mounting pole that is driven into the ground to support the antenna/flag pole.  For the purest reading this yes it will work much better with a ground radial system.  If someone wants to try my 5BTV vertical and you are just getting into for HF it is yours for free.  Mine is in excellent condition and you can buy it for $75.  See the DX Engineering catalog.

#4 If you are stuck in an apartment and cannot throw some wire out the window the Magnetic Loop is probably you last option.  They have a very high Q which means they have a very narrow bandwidth and you must retune for any movement in frequency but I understand they work good for digital and OK for CW and SSB.

Let me know what option may work for you.  Note that alternatives 1-3 can be purchased or DIY to run a full kilowatt of transmitter power.

73 Dan KA7GPP

[...]

Ken Kosters

Hi all,

One question would be if any decent high evergreen trees are on the QTH? It's not hard to get a wire vertical along the side of the tree, otherwise I have seen NIVS antennas along wooden fences.
Otherwise tune the mattress springs and see what might happen? Agree with Dan as anything can be tuned to match the radio but....

Ken W7ECK