Help please! Frquencies for local NORCOM setting up a SDS200 Scanner

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Hi All - I hope someone here can help answer a question. I'm setting up my SDS200 scanner to just scan NORCOM fire channels (Admin, Tac 1-Tac 10). I have the TGID's for each of the channels but I don't think I have the frequencies set correctly or the type of system.  Looking at RadioReference it shows that Norcom is in the Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS) system which uses the  Motorola Type II SmartZone -  Which of these should be selected?  (see picture)

Jackson Beard

Motorola.

The present system is not P25.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, 20:20 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Hi All - I hope someone here can help answer a question. I'm setting up my SDS200 scanner to just scan NORCOM fire channels (Admin, Tac 1-Tac 10). I have the TGID's for each of the channels but I don't think I have the frequencies set correctly or the type of system.  Looking at RadioReference it shows that Norcom is in the Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS) system which uses the  Motorola Type II SmartZone -  Which of these should be selected?  (see picture)

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Hi Howard,

I think you're taking the long way of doing it.  The Sentinel database has all that info in there.

Look at norcompic1.jpg (attached)

Open sentinel and make a favorites list.  Then click through in the database tree to Washington->King->County Systems->Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS).

What you'll want to do is append both a set of frequencies for the system and the different departments etc.  So in the pic I selected NORCOM and right clicked and am going to choose "Append to Favorites"

You can add all the trunking frequencies for the county, but most everything is simulcast to all the sites.  So I just use "King County/Valley Com Simulcast" because I know one of those transmitters is on Old Woodinville Duvall Rd and I'm listening mainly from home in Duvall.  So pick whatever ones you want that contain the frequencies and "Append to Favorites" for those also.

Now see norcompic2.jpg

If you go down to your favorites list and expand the tree, you'll see NORCOM.  Under NORCOM you can delete whatever you don't want it to scan.  It has all the TGIDs and stuff already set up.

Then just save your config and download to the scanner.  Make sure the scanner is set to scan that favorites list, and you're good to go.

Hope that helps!

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Hi All - I hope someone here can help answer a question. I'm setting up my SDS200 scanner to just scan NORCOM fire channels (Admin, Tac 1-Tac 10). I have the TGID's for each of the channels but I don't think I have the frequencies set correctly or the type of system.  Looking at RadioReference it shows that Norcom is in the Seattle-King County Public Safety (KCERS) system which uses the  Motorola Type II SmartZone -  Which of these should be selected?  (see picture)

Jackson Beard

Lou is correct that the site that serves our area is Ring Hill.

However,  in site trunking the simulcast goes away.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, 22:04 Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via groups.io <louis.giliberto=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Oh sorry if what I said led to confusion for anyone - thanks for clarifying, Jackson!

To be 100% clear (er, I hope), selecting King County/Valley Com Simulcast selects the trunking frequencies that are listed on this page for "site 6"

[...]

Thanks Lou and Jackson for clarifying. Your input was exactly what I was looking for.

Call me crazy. But I am manually programming the scanner as an exercise to better understand the pieces needed when building favorites even though I could copy from the database I didn’t get a full sense as to how it all worked. My problem was I didn’t know which group of frequencies to use (which trunking site) for Norcom in our area. Programming the frequencies for King county/valley con simulcast was exactly what I needed to know. Now I have a nice clean setup and I better understand how all the pieces work (I think lol) . Thank you!!

On Sep 15, 2021, at 10:18 PM, Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW) via groups.io <louis.giliberto@...> wrote:

[...]

Nope, that's exactly how I figured it out, too! :-)  The newer scanners are way, way different than the ones I grew up with.  Once I figured out how it worked, though, copy paste is a lot easier, lol.

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> on behalf of Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...>
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 3:27 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Help please! Frquencies for local NORCOM setting up a SDS200 Scanner

[...]

As soon as I return from leave I will add it to the list.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021, 15:50 Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Jackson – sign me up!

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> on behalf of Jackson Beard <macleanofduart@...>
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 3:27 PM

[...]