Topics

Is it me or am I in a Faraday cage?


Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

Hello Elmers,
I received my Buddipole as my first HF ant with the hope of hearing _something_. I did not expect anyone to hear me. But, after a few nights of searching for some sign of life I'm hearing pretty much nothing (across all bands). Every once in a while I hear something that might be digital but it's too faint to show in the fldigi waterfall.

Now, I know my location is horrible but I expected to hear _something_. The fact I'm hearing noting leads me to believe I've gone and done something completely wrong. But then I remember how difficult my location was just to get reliable VHF/UHF and maybe I'm expecting too much? My next step is to get the ARRL antenna book and _really_ sit down and understand propagation of the different bands.

My shack is less than a mile from the Carnation library and my front door is something like 60 feet above sea-level. My goal is to receive _something_ but maybe this just isn't possible sitting in the meddle of the bathtub we call Carnation. Any pointers would be very helpful and if someone within he bathtub wants to do some testing I'd really appreciate it as that would allow me to validate my set-up. We could fire some psk31 or RTTY back and forth on 10m.

Talk to everyone tonight on the net. Thanks and 73


Jackson Beard
 

There are several large hf setups in carnation. 

Have you checked your line?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 08:38 Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
Hello Elmers,
I received my Buddipole as my first HF ant with the hope of hearing _something_. I did not expect anyone to hear me. But, after a few nights of searching for some sign of life I'm hearing pretty much nothing (across all bands). Every once in a while I hear something that might be digital but it's too faint to show in the fldigi waterfall.

Now, I know my location is horrible but I expected to hear _something_. The fact I'm hearing noting leads me to believe I've gone and done something completely wrong. But then I remember how difficult my location was just to get reliable VHF/UHF and maybe I'm expecting too much? My next step is to get the ARRL antenna book and _really_ sit down and understand propagation of the different bands.

My shack is less than a mile from the Carnation library and my front door is something like 60 feet above sea-level. My goal is to receive _something_ but maybe this just isn't possible sitting in the meddle of the bathtub we call Carnation. Any pointers would be very helpful and if someone within he bathtub wants to do some testing I'd really appreciate it as that would allow me to validate my set-up. We could fire some psk31 or RTTY back and forth on 10m.

Talk to everyone tonight on the net. Thanks and 73




Robin Amundson
 

Location location location. At 60 feet above sea level...maybe you have 32 feet height on a vertical configuration? What band were you listening to at what time? Try 20m daytime. That should be your best bet. Lower bands in the daytime, no.

At night 40 and 80. 20m closes around grayline. 

Take the BP someplace high and set up portable. Take it to the beach by Mukilteo Lighthouse during daytime on 20m and hear the difference. Compare a few locations. 

73,
Robin, WA7CPA 

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 8:38 AM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
Hello Elmers,
I received my Buddipole as my first HF ant with the hope of hearing _something_. I did not expect anyone to hear me. But, after a few nights of searching for some sign of life I'm hearing pretty much nothing (across all bands). Every once in a while I hear something that might be digital but it's too faint to show in the fldigi waterfall.

Now, I know my location is horrible but I expected to hear _something_. The fact I'm hearing noting leads me to believe I've gone and done something completely wrong. But then I remember how difficult my location was just to get reliable VHF/UHF and maybe I'm expecting too much? My next step is to get the ARRL antenna book and _really_ sit down and understand propagation of the different bands.

My shack is less than a mile from the Carnation library and my front door is something like 60 feet above sea-level. My goal is to receive _something_ but maybe this just isn't possible sitting in the meddle of the bathtub we call Carnation. Any pointers would be very helpful and if someone within he bathtub wants to do some testing I'd really appreciate it as that would allow me to validate my set-up. We could fire some psk31 or RTTY back and forth on 10m.

Talk to everyone tonight on the net. Thanks and 73




Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 09:33 AM, Robin Amundson wrote:


maybe you have 32 feet height on a vertical configuration
I've been using it in a horizontal dipole configuration.


Ralph Lease
 

when would you be available to try psk31.

Ralph
KC7QXD

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 9:48 AM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 09:33 AM, Robin Amundson wrote:

>
> maybe you have 32 feet height on a vertical configuration
>

I've been using it in a horizontal dipole configuration.




Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

I can be available after work almost every evening (after 5) and will into the late night. Also willing to get up early. Am flexible to your schedule for sure.

Except for tonight.. unless you want to try after the simplex exercise completes as I plan on participating in that.


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Tune to  7283.5kHz around 11:30a and see if you can pick up the "Noon Time Net" - you should hear some of the "relayers"  - and you might be able to check in too
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Ralph Lease
 

we can give it a go tomorrow evening if that works for you unless someone else has time.  I have had luck with the locals on 20m at 14.070. Dx goes away on 20 after grayline but we are close enough it should work.

respond with a time and I will make it work.  We can link up by voice on our repeater to start with.

Ralph
KC7QXD

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:03 AM Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:
I can be available after work almost every evening (after 5) and will into the late night. Also willing to get up early. Am flexible to your schedule for sure.

Except for tonight.. unless you want to try after the simplex exercise completes as I plan on participating in that.




Ralph Lease
 

This is a good idea.  Also on 80 meters at 3970 at 11:30 for their portion of the noontime net.

The noontime net starts early checkins around 10:00AM on 7.283.50

Ralph
KC7QXD

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Tune to  7283.5kHz around 11:30a and see if you can pick up the "Noon Time Net" - you should hear some of the "relayers"  - and you might be able to check in too
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

The band conditions can be wonky during the noontime net so be patient. Someone might go from an s9 to into the noise quickly… You should be able to pick them up from where you are

On Aug 20, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Ralph Lease <ralph.lease@...> wrote:

This is a good idea.  Also on 80 meters at 3970 at 11:30 for their portion of the noontime net.

The noontime net starts early checkins around 10:00AM on 7.283.50

Ralph
KC7QXD

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 10:05 AM Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:
Tune to  7283.5kHz around 11:30a and see if you can pick up the "Noon Time Net" - you should hear some of the "relayers"  - and you might be able to check in too
--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************




***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************





--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Dave, KI7VLV
 

I’m frequently using PSK31. 14.070 during the day into the eve. What’s the schedule?


W7ABD
 

Hi Ryan,

Do you have an Antenna Analyzer?  The documentation for the Buddipole gets you close, but it is affected quite a bit by where it is setup.  So best to fine tune the resonance for the band you are using with an analyzer.  Also I assume you are using your IC-7100 radio.  This may sound crazy, but are you using the correct antenna port on the back of the radio?  I know I have gotten that wrong more than once!

And finally, downtown Carnation has pretty high noise floor, so I would configure the buddipole for horizontal rather than vertical polarization.  To help eliminate some of that noise

Jim
W7ABD



On 8/20/20 10:44, Dave, KI7VLV wrote:

I’m frequently using PSK31. 14.070 during the day into the eve. What’s the schedule?



Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

I'm happy to report _some_ success with the noon net on 80m; I heard voices. I have no idea what they were saying under all the noise but voices were certainly on that frequency and that's not something I had heard previously. Thanks everyone who steered me in that direction as a quick test. There was very little to no change with the tuner in the path; which I find to be good as I assume that means the tuner isn't causing an issue with reception. I did _not_ attempt to key up.

To answer the Buddiepole / tuning question... I did not tune or even set it up properly for 80m as I didn't have time. I just extended the arms in a horizontal dipole, leaving the coil taps wherever they had been from the other day, and called it "good".

OK, on to the local PSK31 testing. I'll reach out and set something up for tomorrow evening. Thanks all! Little steps forward are much better than where I was yesterday.


Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

OK, I have a window at lunch to tune my ant back to 10m. That means I'll be ready to go for psk31 starting at 5.

Who wants to be part of this?
WA1HEM
KC7QXD

Should we set-up a call or Zoom? Some remote Elmer communication would be very helpful as I work through this. Thanks all!


Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
 

Depending on whether the weather allows me to solder some ends onto my new cables - I should be able to do a 10M PSK31 test with you at 5p

On Aug 21, 2020, at 9:32 AM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <rsm@...> wrote:

OK, I have a window at lunch to tune my ant back to 10m. That means I'll be ready to go for psk31 starting at 5.

Who wants to be part of this?
WA1HEM
KC7QXD

Should we set-up a call or Zoom? Some remote Elmer communication would be very helpful as I work through this. Thanks all!







***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************





--
*************************
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104
*************************


Dave, KI7VLV
 

RR. If my wife is home in time, I’ll participate. I usually hang out at or near 1500Hz.

Dave KI7VLV Bothell


Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

At 5PM we will be playing with PSK31 on 20M. All licensed welcome to participate. To coordinate please join Zoom room
ID: 544 566 7229
Code: psk31
Link: https://zoom.us/j/5445667229
I'm on the "free" Zoom so if we go beyond the short free meeting time and get booted I'll just start another meeting at the same location and code.

After some 20m we can move to other bands but that will stop the Tech's from transmitting. I'm up for just identifying what I can receive though.

Looking forward to it!


Ryan - KJ7GIE
 

Thank you to Ralph (KC7QXD) and Dave (KI7VLV) for joining. I was able to receive Ralph without issue. We worked out a fldigi config issue on my end and both Ralph and Dave were able to receive my tx. We introduced Ralph to fldigi which was great to share some knowledge back and forth.

Ok.. that confirms I've got my cables connected in the right order and my new PC works. Now to research / test antenna position so I can hear more.

- 73


Dave, KI7VLV
 

RR. NP. Now perhaps VARA HF for Winlink. I can bequeath unto you my 7100 settings. This I actually use rig control.

Cya Monday.

73,

Dave KI7VLV