Topics

Normal or whacky band conditions?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Is it just unusual band conditions or normal that there are a bunch of foreign (sounds like Chinese?) AM stations all over the 14meter band in the morning. Any explanations? Is that normal?  Does anybody have an explanation?
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

My observation is that as a general thing I have been seeing wonky conditions on 20m for the past few days.  I’ll sitting there listening to what looks and sounds like a dead band, then all of a sudden, I’ll be looking at stations in New Zealand, or Belgium.  That will persist for a few minutes, then poof, gone.  Same thing to the east coast of north america - I’ll be chatting along in a FB QSO with a ham in Baltimore, fine strong signals, then suddenly he’s just… gone.

But in general propagation has been better lately and I’m seeing a lot more PSK31 on 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m.  So I imagine hams over in Asia might well be getting more active as well.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Nov 12, 2020, at 8:48 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Is it just unusual band conditions or normal that there are a bunch of foreign (sounds like Chinese?) AM stations all over the 14meter band in the morning. Any explanations? Is that normal?  Does anybody have an explanation?
--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Thanks Paul. What I’ve been hearing sounds more like radio stations… continuously on, playing music, etc… its not distant QSO… Strange...

On Nov 12, 2020, at 8:59 AM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

My observation is that as a general thing I have been seeing wonky conditions on 20m for the past few days.  I’ll sitting there listening to what looks and sounds like a dead band, then all of a sudden, I’ll be looking at stations in New Zealand, or Belgium.  That will persist for a few minutes, then poof, gone.  Same thing to the east coast of north america - I’ll be chatting along in a FB QSO with a ham in Baltimore, fine strong signals, then suddenly he’s just… gone.

But in general propagation has been better lately and I’m seeing a lot more PSK31 on 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m.  So I imagine hams over in Asia might well be getting more active as well.

-p W7PFB

-- 
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Paul Zoba

What do you guys use to keep track of the sun and sun spots? I’ve been using this one.

Spaceweather.com

The solar flux today is 88 but it has been as high as 93 in the last week. These numbers are much higher than it has been for the past year (my ham lifetime - Dec 2019 licensee) so this should boost propagation.

Paul, W7PEZ

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Robin Amundson

Dr Tamitha Skov is my hero. Met her twice. She has also become licensed but told me she has no time to operate. Got photos with her. 

Robin, WA7CPA 

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020, 10:42 AM Paul Zoba <pezoba@...> wrote:
What do you guys use to keep track of the sun and sun spots? I’ve been using this one.

Spaceweather.com

The solar flux today is 88 but it has been as high as 93 in the last week. These numbers are much higher than it has been for the past year (my ham lifetime - Dec 2019 licensee) so this should boost propagation.

Paul, W7PEZ

My observation is that as a general thing I have been seeing wonky conditions on 20m for the past few days.  I’ll sitting there listening to what looks and sounds like a dead band, then all of a sudden, I’ll be looking at stations in New Zealand, or Belgium.  That will persist for a few minutes, then poof, gone.  Same thing to the east coast of north america - I’ll be chatting along in a FB QSO with a ham in Baltimore, fine strong signals, then suddenly he’s just… gone.

But in general propagation has been better lately and I’m seeing a lot more PSK31 on 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m.  So I imagine hams over in Asia might well be getting more active as well.

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Thanks Robin! Dr. Skov has a great website. Here forecasts are so clear and informative - she’s got a great way of presenting. Thanks for sharing!!

On Nov 12, 2020, at 10:56 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Dr Tamitha Skov is my hero. Met her twice. She has also become licensed but told me she has no time to operate. Got photos with her. 

Robin, WA7CPA 

Spaceweather.com

Paul, W7PEZ

My observation is that as a general thing I have been seeing wonky conditions on 20m for the past few days.  I’ll sitting there listening to what looks and sounds like a dead band, then all of a sudden, I’ll be looking at stations in New Zealand, or Belgium.  That will persist for a few minutes, then poof, gone.  Same thing to the east coast of north america - I’ll be chatting along in a FB QSO with a ham in Baltimore, fine strong signals, then suddenly he’s just… gone.

But in general propagation has been better lately and I’m seeing a lot more PSK31 on 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m.  So I imagine hams over in Asia might well be getting more active as well.

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Dan Pflugrath

This web site      Link:   HAMQSL.COM      has all kinds of information and explanations for propagation.  It is the website where the icon on the top right of the main page of the QRZ web site links to.  There is a page that explains all the parameters affecting propagation.

Dan KA7GPP

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io [mailto:snovarc@snovarc.groups.io] On Behalf Of Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:38 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Normal or whacky band conditions?

Thanks Robin! Dr. Skov has a great website. Here forecasts are so clear and informative - she’s got a great way of presenting. Thanks for sharing!!

On Nov 12, 2020, at 10:56 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Robin, WA7CPA 

Spaceweather.com

Paul, W7PEZ

-p W7PFB

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

--
Howard E. Mahran
WA1HEM
(425) 864 - 5104

Top News - Sponsored By Newser