Topics

Paint a GP6

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Tonight on the Rookie Roundtable Net, Kirt (K7KDW) mentioned that he painted his GP3 to give it a bit more camo. I was wondering, do you think I could plasti-dip my GP6 black to make it more stealth?

If you do it, please sweep it with an analyzer before and after so we can see if it changed the tuning at all.

I do know that putting a ladder line j-pole into sched 40 pvc will change the tuning some.

On Jul 30, 2020, at 9:16 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Tonight on the Rookie Roundtable Net, Kirt (K7KDW) mentioned that he painted his GP3 to give it a bit more camo. I was wondering, do you think I could plasti-dip my GP6 black to make it more stealth?

Dan Pflugrath

I painted mine black to make it more stealth on a black roof.  It did not affect the SWR and as far as I could tell it did not affect my receive or transmit signal.

Dan KA7GPP

If you do it, please sweep it with an analyzer before and after so we can see if it changed the tuning at all.

I do know that putting a ladder line j-pole into sched 40 pvc will change the tuning some.

On Jul 30, 2020, at 9:16 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Tonight on the Rookie Roundtable Net, Kirt (K7KDW) mentioned that he painted his GP3 to give it a bit more camo. I was wondering, do you think I could plasti-dip my GP6 black to make it more stealth?

Paul Zoba

Very interesting. Howard, I have an MFJ analyzer if you need...