Topics

Power conditioner for Lifepo4 type battery?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Recommendations for a power backup and conditioner for a Lifepo4 type battery. I currently use a PwrGate type backup with an SLA backup battery, Power Supply, and Rig plugged in. Is there a recommended similar unit to keep a Lifepo4 charged that will automatically switch to battery when power is out while keeping it charged when power is on?

TIA!

I am also keen to know if there is a solution.

On Oct 6, 2020, at 10:21 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Recommendations for a power backup and conditioner for a Lifepo4 type battery. I currently use a PwrGate type backup with an SLA backup battery, Power Supply, and Rig plugged in. Is there a recommended similar unit to keep a Lifepo4 charged that will automatically switch to battery when power is out while keeping it charged when power is on?

TIA!

Mark Kenworthy

RVs use such a setup, and there are “battery converter” units (e.g., Progressive Dynamics) that auto-switchover that also produce a high enough charge voltage for LiFe batteries that include the battery management system and protection circuitry (e.g., Dakota Lithium).  Please note these battery converters need to be a model made for the lithium batteries, not the normal lead-acid version (which don’t put out a high enough voltage).

Mark

Recommendations for a power backup and conditioner for a Lifepo4 type battery. I currently use a PwrGate type backup with an SLA backup battery, Power Supply, and Rig plugged in. Is there a recommended similar unit to keep a Lifepo4 charged that will automatically switch to battery when power is out while keeping it charged when power is on?

TIA!

Benjamin Thompson

I would assume as long as your power supply voltage is set correctly you’d be fine. Unless you are looking for a smart charger. If you want something smarter, consider the Redarc BCDC1225D. It will take the power supply, condition the power to charge the battery, and then you run your rig off the battery. This is a common device and setup for off-road uses. It also has a solar panel input if you are interested.

-Benjamin Thompson, sent from my phone.

[...]

One of the advantages of a battery with the Battery Management System (BMS) is that the BMS prevents the voltage in the battery from dropping too low and thus damaging the battery, or overcharging, which again can damage the battery.  Hooking up to a LiFe without the management system can cause irreparable damage to the battery if you run it below its minimum voltage.

Mark

[...]

Thank you to everyone for the great input and advice. Based on your input I've decided to get the West Mountain Epic 58404-1795 unit which specifically calls out LifePo4 batteries as its default charging setup.    --