Topics

Quad band antenna?

Robin Amundson

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

Robin

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Doesn’t your SteppIR cover 10m and 6m?

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On May 25, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

Robin

Bob Otis

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it. 

73, Bob

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 10:23 AM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

Robin

Robin Amundson

Yes Paul my SteppirIR covers 6 and 10m. This new antenna will be at a secondary QTH.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Doesn’t your SteppIR cover 10m and 6m?

-p W7PFB

Robin

Robin Amundson

Bob,
The GP-15 is exactly what I was thinking. Wondering, though, if adding 10m in one antenna is worth any compromise. I expect to have great propagation from the QTH. MFJ does not have the best quality reputation so I have sort of ignored considering its antennas.

Robin, WA7CPA

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:13 AM Bob Otis <rmot47@...> wrote:

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it. 

73, Bob

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson

Robin

Bob Otis

I am new to this, but the MFJ-347 is just the connector into which ham sticks for various wavelengths can be attached.  Looking at Amazon, there are several vendors selling the ham sticks, so you may be able to get a higher quality solution.  Regardless, I will be interested to see what you go with for the 10m.

73, Bob

KI7RMO

Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

Bob,

The GP-15 is exactly what I was thinking. Wondering, though, if adding 10m in one antenna is worth any compromise. I expect to have great propagation from the QTH. MFJ does not have the best quality reputation so I have sort of ignored considering its antennas.

Robin, WA7CPA

73, Bob

Robin

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Ok, now that I’m fired up about 6m I also am looking at antenna options.

I don’t see any quad band solutions.  If you’re excluding beams of various descriptions, the best solution a short search came up with for me was something along the lines of:
Diamond CP610 dual band 10m/6m
Whatever your choice is for dual band 2m/70cm (e.g. Comet GP-1, GP-3, GP-6 and the equivalent Diamond and Hustler entrants)
separate feedlines for the antennas that connect to a diplexer to sort it out into 6m&10m/2m&70cm

But I am pondering some sort of low gain beam, aimed more or less WNW from my place.  Two element Yagi or a Moxon or even a quarter wave vertical with a reflector offset to the side.

-p W7PFB

Robin

Mark McClain

Diamond makes the CR8900A quad-band antenna.  I dont know if they are still a production item, but I see there are some on Amazon.  I have one that I am not using if someone wants to test drive it.

Mark, N6OBY
425-458-4177

Sent from my smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/25/20 12:30 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC] Quad band antenna?

Ok, now that I’m fired up about 6m I also am looking at antenna options.

I don’t see any quad band solutions.  If you’re excluding beams of various descriptions, the best solution a short search came up with for me was something along the lines of:
Diamond CP610 dual band 10m/6m
Whatever your choice is for dual band 2m/70cm (e.g. Comet GP-1, GP-3, GP-6 and the equivalent Diamond and Hustler entrants)
separate feedlines for the antennas that connect to a diplexer to sort it out into 6m&10m/2m&70cm

But I am pondering some sort of low gain beam, aimed more or less WNW from my place.  Two element Yagi or a Moxon or even a quarter wave vertical with a reflector offset to the side.

-p W7PFB

Robin

Jackson Beard

MFJ electronics have previously suffered from poor quality control,  but the 347 is a mechanical part that holds screw in whips. Not a lot to mess up.

On Mon, May 25, 2020, 11:19 Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:
Bob,

Robin, WA7CPA

73, Bob

Robin