Topics

Quad band antenna?

Robin Amundson

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Doesn’t your SteppIR cover 10m and 6m?

On May 25, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin

Bob Otis

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it.

73, Bob

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin

Robin Amundson

Yes Paul my SteppirIR covers 6 and 10m. This new antenna will be at a secondary QTH.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 10:28 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Doesn’t your SteppIR cover 10m and 6m?

On May 25, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin

Robin Amundson

Bob,
The GP-15 is exactly what I was thinking. Wondering, though, if adding 10m in one antenna is worth any compromise. I expect to have great propagation from the QTH. MFJ does not have the best quality reputation so I have sort of ignored considering its antennas.

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 11:13 AM Bob Otis <rmot47@...> wrote:

After last week’s new ham net, I checked out a few of the ideas.  My current direction would be the GP-15 for 70-2-6 with the MFJ-347 for 10m.  You may want to check out YouTube for videos on MFJ-347 to see how others have done it if you are not already familiar with it.

73, Bob

Looking for comments on quad band UHF/VHF antennas. Too much compromise? Tri-band instead?  Favorites? I am jazzed about 6m FM now and think I might as well add 10m FM so I do not need to use my HF antenna on 6 and 10 FM. I am hoping to roof mount a new quad or tri lashed against a chimney on a metal roof.

73,
Robin

Bob Otis

I am new to this, but the MFJ-347 is just the connector into which ham sticks for various wavelengths can be attached.  Looking at Amazon, there are several vendors selling the ham sticks, so you may be able to get a higher quality solution.  Regardless, I will be interested to see what you go with for the 10m.

73, Bob

KI7RMO

From: "Paul Butzi (W7PFB) via groups.io" <w7pfb@...>
Date: 5/25/20 12:30 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io

[...]

Jackson Beard

MFJ electronics have previously suffered from poor quality control,  but the 347 is a mechanical part that holds screw in whips. Not a lot to mess up.