Topics

Real life Em Comm

Robin Amundson

Just got my DMR digital/analog radio on the air. Set it to scan the analog stations, lol. Immediately picked up a backpacking injured ham giving his information to another ham who had been on the QSO from the beginning. I do not know the location because I hadn't started in time, but the other ham has it and is going to continue monitoring. Injured ham will attempt to get down mountain on his own but asked for Search and Rescue to be called by a certain time and date if he doesn't get out. This weekend is a good time to keep scanning 146.52. A lot of hams are on mountains. This guy had no cell service but beautiful analog RF. Injured ham will attempt to call on 146.52 at standard intervals if there is service while he moves.

So...there is no substitute for analog RF. Fortunately the Hytera repeater has analog and digital. It will be much more reliable. With digital we can get all our techs on the air talking around the world quicker and cheaper than HF. We can create our own programmed rules for use to keep our analog frequency clear and available at all times to preserve and protect our analog service.

Happy Independence Day my ham friends!

Robin, WA7CPA

Peter Marchel

Thank you for sharing Robin.

Peter & Ann

Peter M Marchel

KJ7GHW

From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robin Amundson
Sent: Saturday, July 4, 2020 3:17 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io
Subject: [SnoVARC] Real life Em Comm

Just got my DMR digital/analog radio on the air. Set it to scan the analog stations, lol. Immediately picked up a backpacking injured ham giving his information to another ham who had been on the QSO from the beginning. I do not know the location because I hadn't started in time, but the other ham has it and is going to continue monitoring. Injured ham will attempt to get down mountain on his own but asked for Search and Rescue to be called by a certain time and date if he doesn't get out. This weekend is a good time to keep scanning 146.52. A lot of hams are on mountains. This guy had no cell service but beautiful analog RF. Injured ham will attempt to call on 146.52 at standard intervals if there is service while he moves.

So...there is no substitute for analog RF. Fortunately the Hytera repeater has analog and digital. It will be much more reliable. With digital we can get all our techs on the air talking around the world quicker and cheaper than HF. We can create our own programmed rules for use to keep our analog frequency clear and available at all times to preserve and protect our analog service.

Robin, WA7CPA

Robin Amundson

Clallam County 911 was been advised of the situation. Ham is slowly progressing down the mountain and things are looking good.

Robin, WA7CPA

Dale Smith

I killed a number of police districts and was surp2 to discover they do not monitor the VHF/UHF bands.

Thank God for vigelant Jams.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE device

------ Original message------
Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2020 3:17 PM
Cc:
Subject:[SnoVARC] Real life Em Comm

Robin, WA7CPA

Dale Smith

Polled.  I polled.  Autocorrect "corrected" to killed. 😠

Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2020 8:15 PM
To: Robin Amundson;snovarc@snovarc.groups.io;
Cc:
Subject:Re: [SnoVARC] Real life Em Comm

I killed a number of police districts and was surp2 to discover they do not monitor the VHF/UHF bands.

Thank God for vigelant Jams.

Date: Sat, Jul 4, 2020 3:17 PM
Cc:
Subject:[SnoVARC] Real life Em Comm

Robin, WA7CPA

Rowland

What are the standard intervals?

Thanks,

Rowland

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 3:17 PM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Robin, WA7CPA

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

The Wilderness Protocol specifies monitoring 146.52 with 446.0, 52.525, 223.5, and 1294.5 Mhz serving as secondary frequencies.  (Those are the FM calling frequencies on 2m, 70cm, 6m, 1.25m, 23cm bands)

Ideally you’d monitor for 5 minutes at the top of every hour.  Some folks say every three hours starting at 7am local time.

-p W7PFB
73, Don’t forget to smile and have fun!

On Jul 5, 2020, at 1:01 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

What are the standard intervals?

Thanks,

Rowland

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 3:17 PM Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

Robin, WA7CPA