From: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io> on behalf of Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:51:52 PM
To: snovarc@snovarc.groups.io <snovarc@snovarc.groups.io>
Subject: [SnoVARC] Repeater ID question

Here is something I have wondered about since I got relicensed, but it never before rose to my consciousness to ask:
Why does the SnoVarc repeater ID in Morse Code with the call sign /C while other repeaters ID /R  ?

Dan Pflugrath

Glendon is correct.  When we moved the original SNOVARC repeater to the Bell's residence we happened to acquire the Cougar Mountain repeater.  While monitoring the activity on both at the same time I wanted a quick way to know which one was active.  The idea came from one of the other repeaters in the building on Cougar mountain where their main repeater was on Tiger mountain and the one on Cougar was the backup.  I can't remember what they used but I think Tiger was /R and Cougar was /C

About a year ago I mentioned to Jim  K7ABD that it should probably be changed to /R unless they use the /C and /D when monitoring both repeaters.

Robin, you are only one of the very few to ask.

73,

Dan KA7GPP

If memory serves, Carnation repeater was appended with /C and the Duvall repeater got a /D. Allows means to identify source of the signal you're receiving.

Here is something I have wondered about since I got relicensed, but it never before rose to my consciousness to ask:
Why does the SnoVarc repeater ID in Morse Code with the call sign /C while other repeaters ID /R  ?

W7ABD

The software for the Cougar Repeater has been updated to reflect CW: KE7GFZ/R and will be applied the next time there is a need to drive up to the mountain and reprogram the repeater.  Such a minor change does not warrant a special trip.

The Bell Repeater (now located at my QTH) Voice ID was changed quite some time ago to distinguish it from cougar.  It is referred to as the "Amateur Repeater" while cougar is just the "Repeater"  It's CW ID will be changed from /D to /R when cougar is updated.

Jim
W7ABD