Topics

Sad news

Tom WA7TBP

SNOVARC members:

It is with deep sadness that I must inform all of you that Jim Meyers, W7ABD, became a silent key Wednesday or Thursday of this week. As many of you know, Jim's health hadn't been the best for the past several years. We have all benefited from Jim's willingness to Elmer operators old and new, keeping our repeaters up and running, teaching classes and being a great source of information for so many things.

At this point in time, I do not have information about a memorial service. As soon as I get any information, I will be sure to pass on the details. Please keep Jim's family and other friends in your thoughts and prayers. If the family reaches outs for help, I will be sure to pass along that information as well.

Please remember Jim's willingness to Elmer others by offering to be an Elmer yourself. I am sure Jim would appreciate that.

73, Jim, we will miss hearing W7ABD on the air.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me or call my cell, 206-714-8646.

Take care,

Tom, WA7TBP

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Oh my! I am so saddened, shocked and  surprised to hear this. My deepest sympathies to Jims family and friends.

On Sep 11, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp@...> wrote:

[...]

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************

I am sitting here in total shock. I knew he had issues but had no idea they were that serious. He was a great mentor and Elmer. He will be missed by all who knew him.

Rowland

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 1:49 PM Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Shawn / K7ATA

I don't have good words for how this makes me feel, I was just talking to him last week about some of the tech plans and ideas... Jim has been the only guy I've known that regularly hatched even crazier ideas than my own. He will be missed.

$#!7 F*(&

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 9/11/2020 1:49 PM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Robin Amundson

Shock and sadness! Tom, please let us know how we can help Jim's wife.
Robin, WA7CPA

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020, 1:49 PM Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Dale Smith

This is sad news. My hope and prayers go out to his family.

Regards,

Dale Smith

425-686-9304

LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/dalegsmith

KJ7GHU

"Civilization exists by geological consent, subject to change without notice."

- American author, historian and philosopher Will Durant

[...]

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

I’m staggered and saddened by this loss but I’m so, so grateful that I am among those who benefited from Jim’s depth of knowledge and his abiding enthusiasm for sharing what he knew and helping others learn.

Jim was one of the hams who reached out to elmer me when I first got licensed and he has been for a long time one of the first people I turned to when I had a ham radio problem and was stumped.  I’m going to miss him a lot.

[...]

Enormous cavern. Beyond... i can't process.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020, 2:15 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
[...]

Rick Burns

Life just doesn’t prepare us for these moments. I too am very sad even though I wasn’t that close to him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Rick

Kb7cin

[...]

lindamilth

Yes, so sad!  Jim was always so patient and helpful.

Milt, KI7NWS

--
Milt and Linda Hanson
Milt's phone: 206-910-7191

Lindy KG7IFA

Shocked and sad.  I just spoke with Tom and we will be sending flowers to Jim's family expressing sympathy from the club.  His loss will be felt by all of us.

Lindy, KG7IFA

[...]

Ralph Lease

Jim
Thank you for being my friend these last few years. I knew you had severe health issues but were always so upbeat. Thank you for all the help/mentoring you freely gave. You are missed.

73
Ralph
KC7QXD

[...]

Pictures attached of Jim and gang on the day we accepted donation of the rack.

Paul Zoba

Very sorry to hear... my thoughts and prayers go to his family...

[...]

AA7Z

RIP Jim. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Great guy and will be sorely missed.

Dick
AA7Z

[...]

Ken Kosters

Jim was a good friend and resource for all of us and shocking news to say the least. I always enjoyed our chats via the radio and always so positive and upbeat willing to dig into some one of my crazy ideas.

Jim will be missed dearly.

Sorry but I have a lack of words at this time.

Ken W7ECK

On Sep 11, 2020, at 1:49 PM, Tom WA7TBP via groups.io <tomwa7tbp=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Kirt White / K7KDW

This is very sad news indeed. Jim was very generous and always did so with cheerfully. My sincerest condolences to his family for their loss.

On Sep 11, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Ken Kosters <kenkosters@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I don't really have words to describe what I'm feeling so I'll just describe the first time I met W7ABD. Hopefully, it sums up one of the many reasons he'll be missed.

I first met Jim during the 2019 SnoVARC HAM Radio Tech Class. Walking into the fire station I was met with a sea of unfamiliar faces. A demographic of mostly men with radios on their hips and faces that revealed a tenured texture of hard-work and experience. This met my expectation of what "radio people" should look like. But, Jim stood-out from the crowd. He had a smile and charisma that one gravitates to in such a sea of unknowns. I'd later find out that Jim was teaching the antenna and feed-line portion of the course. His passion for this topic was contagious. If pictures are worth 1000 words then the arsenal of antennas and test equipment he brought to share with the class was a library archive worth of immediate familiarization. He had a Buddipole, one or two j-poles, a wire dipole, SWR meter, a rigExpert, and probably a dozen other things I cannot remember. His knowledge of all this gear was endless and he encouraged one to keep engaging in discussion about it! Who wants to talk about antennas and feed lines all day? Jim, that's who! What makes a good Elmer and teacher? Approachability. That is, to be an individual for which others feel immensely comfortable engaging with. In Jim this seemed like a natural and effortless quality. And, in Jim, I found the face of SnoVARC and, ultimately, a sense of what kind of Elmer I wanted to be as I made my journey through the hobby. A truly unique individual with an effortless passion to share and interact with other hams. I can only imagine that this quality extended to everything Jim did. I will certainly miss him and what he meant for me in my personal journey as a ham.

Tom WA7TBP

Ryan:

Well stated. This is who Jim was. Thank you.

Tom

In a message dated 9/12/2020 15:38:30 Pacific Standard Time, rsm@... writes:

[...]

Lou Giliberto (KD7HCW)

Very sad to hear this.  Had a lot of nice chats with Jim on the club repeater while we were commuting.  Will definitely keep everyone in my prayers.

-Lou

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.