Topics

Shack organization ideas/Show off your shack

Kirt White / K7KDW

Hello all,

As I'm finishing up my new office space/shack, I'm planning space for my radios. I only have one UHF/VHF mobile and my 7300 to go in here. My hopes is to keep the area as clutter free as possible and also hope to keep the radios somehow neatly on my desk top.

If you have any ideas for a desktop shelf system, rack or similar that would fit these radios (plus power supplies and tuner, etc) and not take up too much desk real estate that would be much appreciated.

If you would also like to share a photo of your shack setup and how you organize it, I'd love to see those as well.

Thanks
Kirt - K7KDW

Robin Amundson

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 9:00 PM Kirt White / K7KDW <kirtwhite@...> wrote:
Hello all,

As I'm finishing up my new office space/shack, I'm planning space for my radios. I only have one UHF/VHF mobile and my 7300 to go in here. My hopes is to keep the area as clutter free as possible and also hope to keep the radios somehow neatly on my desk top.

If you have any ideas for a desktop shelf system, rack or similar that would fit these radios (plus power supplies and tuner, etc) and not take up too much desk real estate that would be much appreciated.

If you would also like to share a photo of your shack setup and how you organize it, I'd love to see those as well.

Thanks
Kirt - K7KDW

Robin Amundson

Kirt,
Here is a picture of my she-shack standing U desk just after custom build by DH. It is placed away from wall/window on 2 sides for easy access to wires in back of equipment. Coax and control wires come in through wall on right behind rack from adjacent crawl space, brought into house through rodent screen at base of house, then through hole drilled between space and shack room. I purchased 2 adjustable height stools from Costco I use when I need to sit. One for guest, pre-Covid. For SSB contests I'm all standing to use foot pedal. The second picture is February 2019 after I initially placed equipment and it wasn't yet looking like a typical messy shack, lol. Currently my 8900 or Anytone sits on left side where the tool box in the picture is. I have added quite a lot of stuff on rack, and a second computer screen left corner of desk, which is currently used as a bulletin board. Graciella sits to right of computer now. She is my beautiful shack jewel made by Begali. I have a Microham right of computer. So there is a bit more equipment but it all still works. I will send current picture when I am able.

73,
Robin

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Very FB.  I especially like the idea of having clocks set to UTC, PDT, and PST.  But the second hands on the clocks are not synchronized, which would drive me crazy.  I have a WWV clock from MFJ with two big time displays, I have one set to display UTC and PST or PDT as appropriate.

One observation on the utility of multiple displays for a shack computer - I have a loose pile of papers with things like band plans, grid maps, net control scripts, and so on.  If I had multiple monitors I could obviously just have those on the computer, open in a image viewer with tabs, and just consult them on another monitor while I am working on the main monitor.

On Oct 30, 2020, at 8:31 AM, Robin Amundson <wa7cpa@...> wrote:

[...]

Robin <she shack standing desk.JPG><she shack February 2019.JPG>

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I've only got the IC-7100 on my desk so have not invested in any kind of organization. However, on my "work" desk I have a glass monitor stand (similar to the below) so I can store stuff under the monitor. I like the look of the glass but it can trap heat.

Paul, I found you a project:
https://engineering.taboola.com/analog-clocks-ntp/

On the round table I suggested following the headphone community. Some of this stuff is "audiophile pricing" but worth a look if yow want to get fancy. I'll start with the inexpensive which is the Ikea shoe rack:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/show-us-your-head-fi-station-at-its-current-state-no-old-pictures-please.529140/page-1563#post-14789418

Another favorite is Amazon's assortment of glass monitor stands. They come in all kinds of widths but generally not stackable (although you _can_ stack them):
https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=glass+monitor+stand+adjustable+height&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11192205.jpg

If you only need 3.5" width... but other brands make similar stuff a bit wider:
https://ifi-audio.com/products/irack/

and then this fancy thing:
http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/p/evoque-eco-35-40-compact-natural-bamboo-finish

Search alibaba or any of the importers for "smsl rack" or "topping rack". You'll find some super inexpensive acrylic options at 6.7" wide. Might be fine for smaller rigs.

If you're handy the spikes and shoes are easy to obtain so you could build something custom.

The other option is "recording studio desktop racks". The nice thing about going this route is that, instead of shelves, it's a tiny rack so you can rack mount your stuff. If I expand my shack I may go this route as I like the look of rack mounted radios.

Ohh.. and for those invested in more than one Raspberry Pi... lookup "cluster case". There are a lot of options for mounting multiple Rasp Pi's in a single case these days. This one will hold 8 Pis
https://www.c4labs.com/product/8-slot-stackable-cluster-case-raspberry-pi-3b-and-other-single-board-computers-color-options/

Ryan - KJ7GIE

Question for the group related... One thing I notice with me meager set-up is the cable nest is growing. Radio to ant tuner to meter to whatever... What are some recommendations for keeping things flexible while not causing undo signal loss in the chain? I find right-angle connectors can be handy but am I inducing signal loss? What "grade" of coax is good for short runs where you need good bend radius (4" or less)? Thanks in advance.

Paul Zoba

Here’s my setup. It’s changed many times and will some more but I like it. On cables, I use LMR400 ultra flex exclusively.

On Oct 30, 2020, at 10:10 AM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <@KJ7GIE> wrote:

Question for the group related... One thing I notice with me meager set-up is the cable nest is growing. Radio to ant tuner to meter to whatever... What are some recommendations for keeping things flexible while not causing undo signal loss in the chain? I find right-angle connectors can be handy but am I inducing signal loss? What "grade" of coax is good for short runs where you need good bend radius (4" or less)? Thanks in advance.

Rowland

How many monitors you need?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 8:47 AM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
[...]

Isn’t the rule "The more and bigger the better" :-)

On Oct 30, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Rowland <rowland.brasch@...> wrote:

[...]

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************

Let’s start the negotiations at 97, and you can try to talk me down from there.

More seriously, I was thinking three, or maybe four.  But I am also thinking that one might display something along the lines of a geochron clock.  And maybe one for pskreporter, etc.

[...]

Shawn / K7ATA

I have space LCD's getting dusty....

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 10/30/2020 3:41 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
Let’s start the negotiations at 97, and you can try to talk me down from there.

More seriously, I was thinking three, or maybe four.  But I am also thinking that one might display something along the lines of a geochron clock.  And maybe one for pskreporter, etc.

On Oct 30, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Rowland <@Rowland <mailto:@Rowland>> wrote:

How many monitors you need?

<mailto:wa7cpa@...>> wrote:

[...]

I have 5 monitors - 2 27”  dedicated for email and other  web based and information related items (scripts, band plans, dxengenerring shopping cart :-) , etc) and 2 27" dedicated for various operational stuff (Rig Control, WSJT-X, Waterfalls, SDR, JTAlert, Logbook) and the third is a 50” that I use for maps (such as GridTracker, weather maps, clocks, etc) - Yes Im a monitor-oholic

On Oct 30, 2020, at 3:41 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

[...]

Wow. Thanks everyone for showing your setups and thank you Ryan for the links. I'll continue to check them out but I've gotten some good ideas from what I've seen so far.

Howard, I think you have may have a problem 😉