Topics

[SnoVARC Emcomm] Do you have a police/fire scanner?

Tom WA7TBP

From: tomwa7tbp@...
To: wa1hem@...
Sent: 9/7/2020 10:31:15 Pacific Standard Time
Subject: Re: [SnoVARC Emcomm] Do you have a police/fire scanner?

Hi Howard and everyone:

I have been using Uniden Bearcat scanners for years. I have had excellent luck with them. The models I have are as follows:
    Base stations: SDS 200, BCD536HP
    Hand held units: SDS 100, BCD396T

My favorite base unit is the SDS 200. My favorite hand held unit is the SDS 100. A word of caution. If you have never been a scanner nerd like me, there is a bit of a learning curve for all of the units I have mentioned. The best feature of all the units above, with the exception of the BCD396T are they have all the frequencies for the US and Canada included in them. You can select them by entering in your zip code. If you would like a demonstration, I would be happy to do that for you. The down side of units is they are spendy. You can look them up on the internet. Try Zip Scanners and Scanner World. You can see the other makes as well.

You have my phone numbers, don't hesitate to call.

73,

Tom, WA7TBP

In a message dated 9/7/2020 10:17:18 Pacific Standard Time, wa1hem@... writes:

Do folks include police/fire scanner as part of their EmComm setup? (Obviously, I know Tom does).. Wondering what you all use (or not)? If yes, is there a recommended scanner?

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Edited

Thanks Tom…. I was looking at the BCD536HP over the SDS-200 simply due to price  – it seems capable but appears to be pretty long in the tooth when it comes to interface…. Old doesn’t mean bad, but the interface looks pretty out-dated…  Is this a unit worth starting out with?