W7PFB Winlink RMS - down, up, blooper

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

My W7PFB-10 VHF Winlink RMS station has been down for some unknown (but short) time. Noticed it this morning because the radio was cycling on and off and on and off because the backup battery was down to about 10.5 volts.

So I proceeded to diagnose the problem. First it looked like the battery had a short and was pulling everything down, but removing the battery didn’t help.

Next step, maybe the power supply failed. Sure enough, the pilot light is not on. Probably a fuse, right? So I pull the PS, hook it up to a 120v outlet on my test bench, it tests fine. Hmm. This is weird.

So I figure, maybe I pulled the power cord loose on the back of the PS. Hook it back up, nope, no joy. What COULD IT BE?

Then I noticed that the PDU is not powered. Oh, no! The PDU failed? I am getting ready to remove the PDU and check it when I notice the entire rack has been shifted about 10 inches and pulled the power cord to the entire rack out of the wall.

Put the plug back in the wall, everything restarted.

Moral: check to make sure it’s still plugged in FIRST.

That is one thing I was taught early on in my career. Before you go nuts troubleshooting an electronic problem in any device check the power source (cord).