Topics

What's in the way? (a tool to show you)

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I've seen an uptick in people using Google Earth to determine what's between them and the repeater or between two houses when doing simplex. Google Earth is a great tool for that but it can be a bit fiddly for that kind of work.

The tool I like to use is: https://link.ui.com
This is a tool published by Ubiquity (UBNT) and it's target audience is Wireless Internet Service Providers (WISPs). Because of that, it won't give you any propagation details beyond UBNT's own antennas (and subsequently the frequencies those antennas are tuned at which is 900mhz, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, etc.). But, what it does excel at is it lets you raise / lower the antenna at each location to determine what you need to do in order to get true LoS. For example, to get true LoS to Cougar I'd need a 300+ foot tower at my house. Until then I am skipping off Tolt Hill. It will also show towers that UBNT has a relationships with and are available to lease to WISPs; which is kind of interesting.

Anywhoo.. thought I'd pass it along if you've not seen it.

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

Hugely interesting and useful tool! Thanks!

On Aug 24, 2020, at 9:40 AM, Ryan - KJ7GIE <@KJ7GIE> wrote:

[...]

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Really Cool Ryan! Thanks! Would love to see this with HAM frequencies...

Paul Zoba

I’d like to see QRZ add this capability to their detail tab.

On Aug 24, 2020, at 10:23 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

Really Cool Ryan! Thanks! Would love to see this with HAM frequencies...

And this helps explain why I dont have good UHF with Paul B even though we are at approximately the same height.... Dirt...

Shawn / K7ATA

Its ALWAYS dirt. :-)

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/24/2020 10:34 AM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM wrote:
And this helps explain why I dont have good UHF with Paul B even though we are at approximately the same height.... Dirt...

W7ABD

I like Radio Mobile On-Line.
https://www.ve2dbe.com/rmonline_s.asp

You do need to create an account, but it's free to use.

Nice user interface. Real good data specifics and nice graphic output.  You can save your work and can input any frequency.  You do need to Lat and Lon for the sites -  I use goggle for that.

Jim
W7ABD