Topics

Winlink and VARA FM

Paul Butzi (W7PFB)

know several folks are trying to get VARA FM working with Winlink. One of the problems everyone has is that there’s only one RMS station even close, and none of us can reach it.

So I’m happy to report that I now have a temporary fix, which is that my UHF Winlink RMS has been resurrected and is running VARA FM.

W7PFB-10, 440.850, running VARA FM Wide and at least in theory also running 1200 baud packet.

If you try to use it, please let me know how it went, regardless of outcome. Getting this working definitely involved creating a few new head-sized dents in the walls of my shack, so I’m not entirely convinced it’s all set up correctly. Feedback is appreciated!

Fantastic! I will give it a try tonight (at 1200)...

On Aug 10, 2020, at 1:22 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

know several folks are trying to get VARA FM working with Winlink.  One of the problems everyone has is that there’s only one RMS station even close, and none of us can reach it.

So I’m happy to report that I now have a temporary fix, which is that my UHF Winlink RMS has been resurrected and is running VARA FM.

W7PFB-10, 440.850, running VARA FM Wide and at least in theory also running 1200 baud packet.

If you try to use it, please let me know how it went, regardless of outcome.  Getting this working definitely involved creating a few new head-sized dents in the walls of my shack, so I’m not entirely convinced it’s all set up correctly.  Feedback is appreciated!

***********************************
Howard Mahran
(425) 864-5104
***********************************

Shawn / K7ATA

Not connecting at all on packet, not sure if it can even hear me.

--Shawn
--K7ATA

On 8/10/2020 1:22 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) wrote:
know several folks are trying to get VARA FM working with Winlink. One of the problems everyone has is that there’s only one RMS station even close, and none of us can reach it.

So I’m happy to report that I now have a temporary fix, which is that my UHF Winlink RMS has been resurrected and is running VARA FM.

W7PFB-10, 440.850, running VARA FM Wide and at least in theory also running 1200 baud packet.

If you try to use it, please let me know how it went, regardless of outcome. Getting this working definitely involved creating a few new head-sized dents in the walls of my shack, so I’m not entirely convinced it’s all set up correctly. Feedback is appreciated!

.

Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM

Are we sure that a system set up for 9600 will accept narrow band? I note that many of the Seattle frequencies separate the two. I wonder if that’s because 9600 is not downward compatible with 1200

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Shawn / K7ATA <shawn@...> wrote:

[...]

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

Packet and VARA are entirely separate.  So the VARA configuration does not affect the packet configuration at all and vice versa.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:21 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

[...]

Sheesh.  Should read ‘9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not compatible’.

Clearly I need to drink more coffee.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Ralph Lease

Ralph here. I just connected with Paul via VARA FM on pier to pier at frequency 145.640. I'm having trouble with my sound card working on 2m but not at 70cm. I don't have a clue as to why it is not sending any audio at 70cm.  At this point 2m is ok by me as this test seemed to work.

Paul:  I sent 2 emails so hopefully they arrived as the software attested to.

73,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Sheesh.  Should read ‘9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not compatible’.

Clearly I need to drink more coffee.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Great, thanks.  Now we just need to figure out why 70cm is not working for you.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:40 PM, Ralph Lease <ralph.lease@...> wrote:

Ralph here. I just connected with Paul via VARA FM on pier to pier at frequency 145.640. I'm having trouble with my sound card working on 2m but not at 70cm. I don't have a clue as to why it is not sending any audio at 70cm.  At this point 2m is ok by me as this test seemed to work.

Paul:  I sent 2 emails so hopefully they arrived as the software attested to.

73,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Sheesh.  Should read ‘9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not compatible’.

Clearly I need to drink more coffee.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Ryan - KJ7GIE

I _think_ I sent something?

*I don't know what I'm doing other than procrastinating.

Ralph Lease

ok, I'll fess up.  Paul solved my problem of not transmitting on the 70cm band.  My radio had the positive shift "+" enabled.  Therefore I was not transmitting on 440.850. It was really transmitting on 445.850 and listening on 440.850.  I have saved the frequency and the settings to a memory channel for future use so I don't screw it up.

There are days I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but I try to be persistent.  Days like today make the lessons stick.

Thank you Paul for sticking with me to solve this problem.

73 all,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:40 PM Ralph Lease via groups.io <ralph.lease=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ralph here. I just connected with Paul via VARA FM on pier to pier at frequency 145.640. I'm having trouble with my sound card working on 2m but not at 70cm. I don't have a clue as to why it is not sending any audio at 70cm.  At this point 2m is ok by me as this test seemed to work.

Paul:  I sent 2 emails so hopefully they arrived as the software attested to.

73,
Ralph

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
Sheesh.  Should read ‘9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not compatible’.

Clearly I need to drink more coffee.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 2:24 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

9600 baud packet and 1200 baud packet are not incompatible.

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

I can’t claim credit.  Howard was having problems and pointed out that his radio was automatically applying a shift.  Which got me thinking, maybe that was Ralph’s problem.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 6:24 PM, Ralph Lease <ralph.lease@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

I got the shift worked out too but still can’t connect- I’m thinking it’s the Yaesu setup. More head banging for me

On Aug 10, 2020, at 7:26 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

I suspect the problem Howard is having now is that the RMS station is on an antenna that is lower than the one I heard his signals on today.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 7:29 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

I hope you are right Paul- it’s really hard to debug what’s wrong,if anything at all,  if my signal is simply not reaching you. When I get time I'll drive out to Carnation and try it from there to rule out signal issues.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 8:44 PM, Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Edited

I was reading some threads on groups.io about Vara fm on 10meters and ran across this statement that got me wondering if there is a difference between Vara HF and FM ....

"The  badge FM did  cause some  confusion , the  modem  is  designed  to  be  conveyed  via   'ssb'   or  'fm , where  as the  FM version  can only be  conveyed , via  FM, the  HF version  is able to  accommodate  all transmission  modes  and paths."

Excuse my typos - sent via my thumbs or by voice from a mobile device

On Aug 10, 2020, at 9:42 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

The FM version of VARA in wide mode uses the entire 6kHz of bandwidth that you get when you bypass the audio filtering and inject the signal directly into the FM modulator in a VHF/UHF radio.  That’s why you need to use the 9600 baud packet connection on the back of the radio.

The HF version in wide mode uses the entire 2.5kHz of bandwidth that you get from an SSB transmitter/receiver.

You’d have no trouble fitting the 2.5kHz wide signal of VARA HF into an VHF/UHF FM channel, I would think.

But my expectations are that the FM version is also tuned to the different noise and fade characteristics of FM as opposed to those of HF SSB.

On Aug 10, 2020, at 9:51 PM, Howard E. Mahran / WA1HEM <wa1hem@...> wrote:

I was reading some threads on groups up about Vara fm on 10meters and ran across this statement that for me wondering if there is a difference between Vara HF an
[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Paul
Just wanted to let you know that I used the narrow mode with VARA Fm. My sound card is configured as narrow.  Did the emails come through ok?

Ralph

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020, 1:03 PM Paul Butzi (W7PFB) <w7pfb@...> wrote:
[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Yep that works fine

-p

On Aug 11, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Ralph Lease <ralph.lease@...> wrote:

[...]

From what I understand a station running VARA FM Narrow can connect to a VARA FM Wide station, everything just goes more slowly than wide to wide.

[...]

Im wondering if you can try Peer to Peer Vara FM with me. Im not sure Im getting to Paul's Vara FM RMS and would like to verify my setup before I  schlep everything to carnation. I have had trouble before with reaching him via Simplex as I think there is either dirt or topography messing with me. Let me know if you'd be up to test it out

Howard

Ralph Lease

Yes! We should try on 2 meters first. We can talk by phone first. Will email you my phone number.